On 11/23/2020 at 7:18 PM, rwburbage@msn.com said:

!! International Buyers !!

So,  I've spent an hour trying to get paypal and the shipping calcs configured.  It is a nightmare with hand selecting countries etc.  It's a mess.   

So if your purchasing internationally, please use ebay.   It will calculate everything and automate customs forms.  I'll try and tweak the shipping weights to adjust the costs.

Hey, could you please add a link to the ebay listing? :)

• Thanks 1

On 11/28/2020 at 12:00 PM, WolfCrow said:

Hey, could you please add a link to the ebay listing? :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224090610358

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224254799713

https://voiceofthemummy.com/staging/microvision-lcd-display/

Edited by rwburbage@msn.com

On 11/28/2020 at 2:43 AM, Rik1138 said:

OMG, I love that...  I've wanted to do something like that for years, just never got around to it!  Can't wait to get my hands on these...

Does it work well in a lit room without the backlight on, or do you have to keep it on all the time?

It does well in a lit room.  I used a 680 ohm current limiting resistor so that it's not too bright but makes a visual difference in a well lit room.  In dim light it's not blinding.  This kept the total current drain at 22ma.  If it's made any brighter, the current drain climbs quickly.

There are (2) 24" 40W floros right above it.  The pic below it compares a backlight unit with a non backlight.  The last pic is in very dim lighting.

BTW, I've had the games running for hours now in blockout.  It sounds likes metronomes in the background with a stuck ball in blockbuster.  Battery life is at hours so far.  9V, 500mAh, 22 ma = 24 hrs run time. The connect 4 game(intel 8021 chip with Bowling printed) and backlight is much less.  This runs at 58ma with backlight.  I still remember playing Mattel football and the batteries died after a couple of hours.  What were the 9V 20mAh or something??...

The pre-orders are running on ebay and paypal.

If your purchasing for international shipment.  Please use eBay to checkout as it has all of the customs forms along with buyer and seller protections.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224090610358

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224254799713

https://voiceofthemummy.com/staging/microvision-lcd-display/

20201127_195713.jpg

20201128_111026.jpg

20201128_111642.jpg

20201127_195814.jpg

20201127_195916.jpg

• Like 3

On 11/29/2020 at 2:01 AM, Rik1138 said:

You mentioned that older versions of Blockbuster are slower.  Do you mean the ones on the Intel chip, or are there two versions of the TI chip?

Yes. One BB cartridge was slower. I still can't clear a screen!  It looks like the connect four cartridge is an Intel chip. Any others that you know of? What about cosmic Hunter?

Ok, i want to formally request no more projects from you, Mr. Burbage. I have already purchased refurbished Dark Tower, Seance, and Voice of the Mummy games from you over the past few years. Then i buy a regular Microvision replacement screen. Last night, after seeing the backlit screen, i purchased that. This transfer of wealth must stop.   ;)

Thank you for all your work on this current project, as well as those of the past. You’re killing this, like every other project on which you have focused. Now to convince my wife that this latest purchase was some sort of Christmas gift...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tombstone said:

Ok, i want to formally request no more projects from you, Mr. Burbage. I have already purchased refurbished Dark Tower, Seance, and Voice of the Mummy games from you over the past few years. Then i buy a regular Microvision replacement screen. Last night, after seeing the backlit screen, i purchased that. This transfer of wealth must stop.   ;)

Thank you for all your work on this current project, as well as those of the past. You’re killing this, like every other project on which you have focused. Now to convince my wife that this latest purchase was some sort of Christmas gift...

Yes!  ?????  It has been a lot of fun bringing these cools items back to life over the years.  It doesn't work unless you guys are out there enjoying!  Thanks for the positive comments.

That backlight project was quite a challenge.  We worked with that kit back and forth based on what they thought and what I measured on my end.  They just said-here are the parts, you finish it. ? Glad that worked out with just a little custom work.  I was prepared to hire a 3D printed part for the fit.  BTW, there are some really cool networks to hire people with 3D printers so I don't have to spend $$$$!  Glad that was avoided.   

I'll work on some more simple pics and steps installing these LCD's on this page. Right now it's a rambling mess.   I have to get the xmas rush out the door first! ?

Thanks again!  Richard

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tombstone said:

I echo this, though my first purchase from Richard is the backlit LCD screen for the Microvision, however after seeing Richard's Voice of the Mummy page I'm getting interested in one of those too! The Voice of the Mummy looks so cool. What have you done? LOL But truly great work, and I appreciate your passion and professionalism when it comes to classic games. ? 

Edited by Atari2008
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Atari2008 said:

I echo this, though my first purchase from Richard is the backlit LCD screen for the Microvision, however after seeing Richard's Voice of the Mummy page I'm getting interested in one of those too! The Voice of the Mummy looks so cool. What have you done? LOL But truly great work, and I appreciate your passion and professionalism when it comes to classic games. ? 

I appreciate the compliments!   VotM is very cool with the record and spooky messages dictating the game moves.   

I'm still on the hunt for who actually recorded the messages.  As a bonus, the son of the West German inventor, contacted me recently offering the master reel used to cut the records. Still working out the $$$.  He doesn't remember who the voice was though.  Trying to get some notes or photos from production days.  The messages were recorded at Studio Six West in NY.  I believe it was home to Arista Records??  The Milton Bradley work order was for 300K units.  They rented an entire cargo plane to bring them to the states.  Interesting story.

I used a USB turntable to record all the tracks here.  I'm still trying to find the time to migrate the old site to the new. 

20200621_211643.jpg

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, rwburbage@msn.com said:

Appreciate the comments!   VotM is very cool with the record and spooky messages dictating the game moves.   

I'm still on the hunt for who actually recorded the messages.  As a bonus, the son of the West German inventor, contacted me recently offering the master reel used to cut the records.  He doesn't remember who the voice was though.  Trying to get some notes or photos from production days.  The messages were recorded at Studio Six West in NY.  I believe it was home to Arista Records??  Still working out the $$$.  The Milton Bradley work order was for 300K units.  They rented an entire cargo plane to bring them to the states.  Interesting story.

I used a USB turntable to record all the tracks here.  I'm still trying to find the time to migrate the old site to the new. 

20200621_211643.jpg

Most welcome. Thanks to you I know what this game is, and it's very cool. I watched a YouTube video with some guys playing it, looks really fun and the voice does sound spooky. 

Oh wow the master reel, that's very cool! As a New Yorker, I appreciate the NYC ties in this story. Didn't know that's where Arista was based. 300,000 units wow that's quite a bit. Would've loved to have seen the inside of that cargo plane. 

USB turntables are great. I don't have one currently, just a bluetooth one but they come in handy for preserving these old records. Looking forward to taking a listen. Neat that you've archived them. Awesome seeing that receipt as well. 

Voice of the Mummy would make for a cool game night. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finally got my collection out of storage...  Most of it at least.  I know I have a complete set of sealed cartridges too, somewhere...

I was also surprised that almost all of the boxed ones are playable, the LCDs on some even look new.  The worst problem on a couple of those is that the gray polarizer under the LCD has that 'water stained' look.  Even my original that I received in 1979 is starting to get that (see the score below, looks like water drops on it...)  The boxed one on the very left I received for Christmas in 1979, and the complete set of games right next to it I got as they came out (except Baseball, got that during a $9.99 closeout sale just to complete the collection.  :)

The loose ones range from barely playable to completely black.

Definitely going to backlight one or two, and replace the bad LCDs.  Will probably buy a few extras just to have ready...

And I nearly got 200 on my old Block Buster...  Gotta get the last block of a level from the top so the ball gets trapped by the new level and then clears out half of it.  Then get the ball bouncing through it from one side of the paddle to the other until the programming shifts the ball position (which will happen above the blocks) and that nearly clears out the remaining ones.

Microvision_Collection.thumb.jpg.60f666af8494c97de6eef3253bd7095f.jpg

Microvision_Score188.thumb.jpg.8c11a2979a652b3363b52a3d08b34872.jpg

Edited by Rik1138
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Rik1138 said:

Finally got my collection out of storage...  Most of it at least.  I know I have a complete set of sealed cartridges too, somewhere...

I was also surprised that almost all of the boxed ones are playable, the LCDs on some even look new.  The worst problem on a couple of those is that the gray polarizer under the LCD has that 'water stained' look.  Even my original that I received in 1979 is starting to get that (see the score below, looks like water drops on it...)  The boxed one on the very left I received for Christmas in 1979, and the complete set of games right next to it I got as they came out (except Baseball, got that during a $9.99 closeout sale just to complete the collection.  :)

The loose ones range from barely playable to completely black.

Definitely going to backlight one or two, and replace the bad LCDs.  Will probably buy a few extras just to have ready...

And I nearly got 200 on my old Block Buster...  Gotta get the last block of a level from the top so the ball gets trapped by the new level and then clears out half of it.  Then get the ball bouncing through it from one side of the paddle to the other until the programming shifts the ball position (which will happen above the blocks) and that nearly clears out the remaining ones.

Microvision_Score188.thumb.jpg.8c11a2979a652b3363b52a3d08b34872.jpg

Soon all the crappy LCDs will be replaced!   And that score!  I can't seem to get that last block as it keeps cycling the same pattern.  I have to figure out to get the ball to move to a different angle.

I see those bubbles in the polarizer reflector.  Buzzar.  Then some are glued to the green foam and it's like the glue shrinks creating a huge distortion.  But, it was an early LCD design some 40 yrs ago...

You can really see the difference in the modern reflector.  Really clear.

20201123_120234.thumb.jpg.778e98f5b7bc11ed34f39236c3e59571.jpg

2 hours ago, rwburbage@msn.com said:

Soon all the crappy LCDs will be replaced!   And that score!  I can't seem to get that last block as it keeps cycling the same pattern.  I have to figure out to get the ball to move to a different angle.

Let the ball bounce off the paddle at an angle, left or right.  Don’t move the paddle.  If the ball doesn’t hit a block, it will come down exactly on the opposite side of the paddle and reverse the same path.  It will just keep going back and forth without you moving the paddle.

You can also ‘walk’ the ball all over the screen this way.  Let it bounce off the paddle to the left, move the paddle exactly two spaces to the right.  The ball will bounce to the left again, but shifted over two spaces. This way you can get it next to the last block before holding the pattern to make the ball shift.

But watch it closely when it hits the top of the screen.  After 3-5 cycles, it will move differently off the top of the screen (shifting by one block).  It will now either miss the paddle by one block, or hit the center of the paddle...  so you have to be ready.  But now it’s bouncing along a path one block over from where it was. If you do this where the ball is just passing next to the last block, you have a 50/50 chance of it shifting in the right direction to hit it and bounce back up when the new block wall appears.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rik1138 said:

Let the ball bounce off the paddle at an angle, left or right.  Don’t move the paddle.  If the ball doesn’t hit a block, it will come down exactly on the opposite side of the paddle and reverse the same path.  It will just keep going back and forth without you moving the paddle.

You can also ‘walk’ the ball all over the screen this way.  Let it bounce off the paddle to the left, move the paddle exactly two spaces to the right.  The ball will bounce to the left again, but shifted over two spaces. This way you can get it next to the last block before holding the pattern to make the ball shift.

But watch it closely when it hits the top of the screen.  After 3-5 cycles, it will move differently off the top of the screen (shifting by one block).  It will now either miss the paddle by one block, or hit the center of the paddle...  so you have to be ready.  But now it’s bouncing along a path one block over from where it was. If you do this where the ball is just passing next to the last block, you have a 50/50 chance of it shifting in the right direction to hit it and bounce back up when the new block wall appears.

So it does randomly change too.  Got it.  I'll try that.