On 12/13/2020 at 3:44 PM, fsuinnc said:

I guess I need to dig out my MicroVisions and see what shape they're in.  Just how skilled and experienced does someone have to be to install the the new LCD with the backlight kit? 

In my opinion, I give it a 3-10.  A #2 screwdriver, a small file, tweezers will help picking up the zebra connectors and a soldering iron for the backlight connections.

I'll be adding more info on this install after the xmas rush.  https://voiceofthemummy.com/staging/microvision-lcd-display/1979-microvision-lcd-install-notes/

Edited by rwburbage@msn.com

53 minutes ago, TPR said:

Do you know anyone who can work on a system to bring it back from the dead? I just had a look at a couple of my systems and it looks like two of them don't fire up.  Anyone I can send them to for a doctor service?  :) 

Yes I can look at it.  Usually it's just the contacts or worst scenario is a fried cartridge. Have you tried a different game? Is your LCD working?  Do you hear beeps like you were playing the game you kept pressing go?

They are dead.  Nothing at all no matter what I connect.  I do have one that works pretty well so I at least can swap out carts to test.  When I send the in for the LCD service just let me know your doctor fees and I'm more than happy to contribute to the cause!  :D

1 hour ago, TPR said:

They are dead.  Nothing at all no matter what I connect.  I do have one that works pretty well so I at least can swap out carts to test.  When I send the in for the LCD service just let me know your doctor fees and I'm more than happy to contribute to the cause!  :D

Okay, send them in and I'll check them out. Did you already purchase the LCDs? I can look up your name. So far these devices are pretty tough. The battery contacts are an issue. The early units did not solder them to the board. They are very soft to copper with plated zinc. So they can work loose easily. All solder those down. and then the series of contacts between the main board and the cartridge need a good cleaning. As long as it's just cleaning it's like 10 to $15 per unit.

MV Burbage

4 Dunbar Way

Sterling, VA 20165

38 minutes ago, rwburbage@msn.com said:

Perfect. Are you just going to send all four of them in?

Yes, that was the plan.  So I'm in no huge rush, so when you get the screens in, and I was going to send them in for the service anyway, please take a look at them.  And if any of them turn out to be beyond repair, I will gladly donate it for parts!  :) 

17 minutes ago, TPR said:

Yes, that was the plan.  So I'm in no huge rush, so when you get the screens in, and I was going to send them in for the service anyway, please take a look at them.  And if any of them turn out to be beyond repair, I will gladly donate it for parts!  :) 

Perfect!  You can send them now as I have screens and cartridges to test with.

The production LCD's are completed.  They will be in final testing then queued for shipment.   The delivery is still at mid-January.

Once they arrive a random group will be thoroughly tested.   If all goes well, then setup for shipment to buyers.  They will get a quick check out before packing to make sure everything is working.

Question:  Does anyone have information about Jay Smith and the museum??  He donated the prototypes etc to?  I can't find the link.

The prototypes were donated to the National Videogame Museum.

http://www.nvmusa.org/

(This is where my handheld game collection now lives...)

I know the guys that run it if you want to ask about anything, but I'm not sure they've done anything with the prototypes other than display them.  Only one of them seemed like it might have a playable game in it, but I don't think they've risked opening it up.  :)

I have pictures of all of them, I can post them if you just want to see what they got...

Jay also has some great stories about a color version that was being discussed, a higher resolution one (32x32 or maybe even 64x64...), and a 'projector version', basically the same thing we have now but you could shine light through the screen and project it on a wall...

I don't think any of those got past the 'we are talking about it' stage, but it is cool that they were planning ahead with new versions...

• Like 1

Here's some pics... :)

Sounds like the Missile Command one was being worked on after Microvision, and clearly has a higher resolution display, so that one apparently got further than just paper designs...

The second one in the background is mounted to a large box that had batteries and electronics inside it, so I think that is either a functional mockup, or it might just play a pre-programmed sequence to show what the game can do.  (They also have a Toy Fair display of a GCE Space-N-Counter like that- it looks functional, but it just plays a sequence on the LCD so you can see what the game would look like).

The gold Microvision was awarded to Jay for his work on the system.

uV1_Gold.thumb.jpg.0bff28b5e11aa5741941cd05a55818f4.jpg

uV2_Design.thumb.jpg.fba52cc73c262462d250b9e05181e24a.jpguV3_Handee.thumb.jpg.de8d9c2d32cffa3887c437589e165587.jpguV4_Phaser.thumb.jpg.cbd1e84f178b8158ec0f8f0875cdb5bf.jpg

uV5_Missile.thumb.jpg.72db69df5968274188e3619cc92a7ee9.jpguV6_Card.thumb.jpg.b56fe5cff311b1789ce8ff142c2ae3e9.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rik1138 said:

Here's some pics... :)

Sounds like the Missile Command one was being worked on after Microvision, and clearly has a higher resolution display, so that one apparently got further than just paper designs...

The second one in the background is mounted to a large box that had batteries and electronics inside it, so I think that is either a functional mockup, or it might just play a pre-programmed sequence to show what the game can do.  (They also have a Toy Fair display of a GCE Space-N-Counter like that- it looks functional, but it just plays a sequence on the LCD so you can see what the game would look like).

The gold Microvision was awarded to Jay for his work on the system.

That's what I was looking for.   I remembered see them but not where.  That's interesting about the MC mockup.  To get that high-res, it would have to have a new screen type.

Has anyone contacted JS about any of this?  I'm sure he has to have some stories to share.

Jay was the one that gave all of those to the museum, so I'm sure he shared some stories with them...  Might have been some paperwork too, I'll have to ask them to see what they got from him.

I haven't spoken to Jay since these pieces were uncovered, but I'll see if I can get ahold of him again.  I'm sure he'd love to see the back light mod on a Microvision too.  :)

• Like 1

On 12/5/2020 at 3:43 PM, Rik1138 said:

Let the ball bounce off the paddle at an angle, left or right.  Don’t move the paddle.  If the ball doesn’t hit a block, it will come down exactly on the opposite side of the paddle and reverse the same path.  It will just keep going back and forth without you moving the paddle.

You can also ‘walk’ the ball all over the screen this way.  Let it bounce off the paddle to the left, move the paddle exactly two spaces to the right.  The ball will bounce to the left again, but shifted over two spaces. This way you can get it next to the last block before holding the pattern to make the ball shift.

But watch it closely when it hits the top of the screen.  After 3-5 cycles, it will move differently off the top of the screen (shifting by one block).  It will now either miss the paddle by one block, or hit the center of the paddle...  so you have to be ready.  But now it’s bouncing along a path one block over from where it was. If you do this where the ball is just passing next to the last block, you have a 50/50 chance of it shifting in the right direction to hit it and bounce back up when the new block wall appears.

Finally a 131 in blockbuster on the last ball.  That worked with 'walking' the ball one block at a time until the last block is picked off.  Then boom.  The blocks reset and it must have knocked out 1/2 of the blocks!!  Nice!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rwburbage@msn.com said:

Finally a 131 in blockbuster on the last ball.  That worked with 'walking' the ball one block at a time until the last block is picked off.  Then boom.  The blocks reset and it must have knocked out 1/2 of the blocks!!  Nice!

Yeah, it'll get almost 1/2 of them leaving a nice grid pattern.  Then if you can get the ball bouncing off the left or right again, hitting nothing just going back and forth, just leave it and wait.  It'll shift at the top of the screen again, and it'll take out about 1/2 of the remaining blocks...  It's very satisfying when you pull it off.  :)

Edited by Rik1138
  • Thanks 1

The NEW LCD's are scheduled to arrive 01-04-21.   A little earlier than expected. ?

Once they are checked out, shipments should start in order purchased the week of 01-11.  ?

The new LCD's will be packed in a durable 6x4x4 box.  This should make sure they get there without any damage.  The LCD's are rated at -20C to 70C. ?

USPS is working on a severe backlog of packages.  Sending trackable first class shipments could take some time.  I have several ??? game shipments from 12-09 and they are still undelivered, stuck in distribution.

ITMT, I've been working on the NEW LCD and Backlit LCD install procedures.  Hope to publish those pages soon here.

The NEW LCD's Backlit Kits are sold out.  The non-backlit LCD's can be purchased here.

International orders please use eBay here. eBay takes care of the customs forms with shipping protection.

Best wishes on the upcoming NEW Year! ?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Goochman said:

For those that paid for install how you plan on handling notifying owners when to send?  Like you I have a 12/6 package I sent to someone still in limbo so it might be better to give USPS a few weeks to get their act together ?

I have a spreadsheet setup.  I've made contact with some.

Good point too. I'll create another pivot table with contact or no contact to make sure.  I assumed the buyers read the delivery date and would send units according to that date.  Sending fedex home or UPS ground might be an option.

2 minutes ago, stupus said:

I sent my units like a month ago as i worried about the mail at the holidays. I noticed today was the first day alot of my packages started making progress and 3 even arrived. So hopefully its on the upswing now.

I agree on the upswing.  A few of my packages are making some movement.

• Like 1