Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Another batch of backlit LCDs kits are on order.  Arrival time is mid to late February.  Those can be purchased in ebay or on the website through paypal.

 

Website purchase for both types through paypal.  You do not need a paypal account.

 

International orders please use eBay as this automates customs forms and shipping protection.

Standard LCD replacement.

Backlit LCD kits.

Edited by [email protected]
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is great and long awaited. I just stumbled on them on eBay. 
 

I have a couple questions.

 

Is the backlit version much more difficult to install than the standard version?

 

If you turn the backlight off is the lcd display the same as the standard version?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sideburn said:

This is great and long awaited. I just stumbled on them on eBay. 
 

I have a couple questions.

 

Is the backlit version much more difficult to install than the standard version?

 

If you turn the backlight off is the lcd display the same as the standard version?

 

Hello, I'm working on the install procedures now.   The BL kit has a couple more steps.  You can see them in this link.  https://voiceofthemummy.com/staging/microvision-lcd-display/

You will have to file down a 2" in wall next to the LCD to fit the backlight unit.  Then solder 2 wires for the backlight.  Here is the install procedure for the standard LCD replacement.  https://voiceofthemummy.com/staging/replacing-with-new-lcd-without-backlight/

You will not have the option to turn off the backlight separately.   The backlight LCD is a TN Transmissive type.  It does not have a rear reflector attached to the rear polarizer.  The power drain is very low at 9mAh.  Total is 22mAh with light and a TI chip game cartridge.  58 mAh with a Signetics Intel 8021 game of Connect 4. 

Edited by [email protected]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do you clean the controller?  I bought the circuit cleaner you mentioned, but I've never done a pot before...

Do you just have to spray it in and spin the knob a few times?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2021 at 5:29 AM, [email protected] said:

You will not have the option to turn off the backlight separately.

Oh, I thought it would be possible to control the brightness via the contrast-wheel on the back. Maybe it was only a suggestion by some users and I misread it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dantist said:

Oh, I thought it would be possible to control the brightness via the contrast-wheel on the back. Maybe it was only a suggestion by some users and I misread it.

I'm not sure.  If you have the post info so I can read it.   The rear contrast knob(LCD power control) works as it was originally designed with both new LCDs.

Edited by [email protected]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got mine back with backlit lcd and it looks great!  Thanks again Richard!

2C704E22-312A-4FE0-8794-45FD60CCEA4A.jpeg

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SavageMind said:

If you don't mind. What is the status of the unlit screens if they have already been purchased?

Both types of LCD shipments are underway this week and will continue.   A couple of MV units sent in have had the backlit kits installed and returned.  Everything is looking great.   Those units sent in for install will continue to be completed and sent out.

 

The shipments will go out in order purchased starting from 11-22-20.   I won't be able to give an exact estimate on when purchased, when is delivery.  As the testing and shipment processes evolve, shipments and deliveries will speed up.  I'm still testing each unit before shipment.

 

The LCDs, without backlight, are being sent out with a custom pink zebra connector.  On those LCDs, it's not really needed as both original zebra connectors are reused.  Those were ordered long ago just in case and I don't need to keep a bag of them.

 

The LCD backlit kits will have a custom pink zebra connector that is taller than the original straight zebra connector.  That pink zebra connector must be used on the backlit kits.

 

Lookout for shipment emails.  If you ordered through paypal,  an shipment email from paypal will be sent.   Ebay will generate the same email type when shipped.

 

USPS is already looking very good for on time shipments.   I've been able to send LCDs locally and east to west with on-time deliveries using first class and priority mail.

 

Web pages are setup for assisting the install.  One is for the LCD replacement.  This is for the LCD with backlighting kit.  The backlit page is still being worked on.  Pics are out of order without notes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok that makes no sense. If someone sent in a MV to have you install(Goochman), they are getting back already vs those of us who purchased just the screen still have to wait? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SavageMind said:

Ok that makes no sense. If someone sent in a MV to have you install(Goochman), they are getting back already vs those of us who purchased just the screen still have to wait? 

Your only waiting a day more.  I needed some more receive, install, shipment, delivery process data on the BL kits.  He was local.  1 day delivery.  The USPS first class deliveries are really 1-5 days anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SavageMind said:

Ok that makes no sense. If someone sent in a MV to have you install(Goochman), they are getting back already vs those of us who purchased just the screen still have to wait? 

I live about 40 miles from Richard.  I sent mine Wed and he got it Thursday.  He shipped it Fri and it arrived at my home today.  If I was further away it would’ve taken a week at least.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That doesn't help any. That reinforces my point. So has the people who ordered thier screens in Nov been sent thiers yet?  The light kit came after the screens and yet you have yours already. So at this point it doesn't matter anymore. I'll wait for it to arrive when and if it arrives. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds like he was doing some of the install orders first to get feedback and verify the installation. Good idea in my opinion.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SavageMind said:

That doesn't help any. That reinforces my point. So has the people who ordered their screens in Nov been sent theirs yet?  The light kit came after the screens and yet you have yours already. So at this point it doesn't matter anymore. I'll wait for it to arrive when and if it arrives. 

I sent you a private message asking your name so I can give a guestimate on a ship date.  All of the LCD types came in at the same time.  Another batch of backlit kits were ordered and those are being sold as pre-order.  As Stupus mentioned, there were random picked installs to check procedures using the samples sent earlier.  Shipments and installs start 1-11 on all LCD order types. The LCDs are going to be installed, tested, packed and shipped through the week as time permits.

Edited by [email protected]
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ditto what Yoras just said. This project, much like your Mummy project, is clearly a labor of love. Bitching about getting “skipped in line” and having to wait a couple of extra days for something that has taken years (and could have actually never happened) is completely tone-deaf. 

Richard, u have no idea how much this means to many MV fans. I cannot thank you enough.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, SavageMind said:

That doesn't help any. That reinforces my point. So has the people who ordered thier screens in Nov been sent thiers yet?  The light kit came after the screens and yet you have yours already. So at this point it doesn't matter anymore. I'll wait for it to arrive when and if it arrives. 

What makes you think I didn’t order in Nov?  My number came up and I sent my unit in......

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tombstone said:

Ditto what Yoras just said. This project, much like your Mummy project, is clearly a labor of love. Bitching about getting “skipped in line” and having to wait a couple of extra days for something that has taken years (and could have actually never happened) is completely tone-deaf. 

Richard, u have no idea how much this means to many MV fans. I cannot thank you enough.

Yes, these new LCDs are much needed.  It's all good.  We are all excited about getting these units back up and running.  I'm as excited to get them out to everyone asap.  So testing and installing and packing continues today.   All first class packages are trackable and our course priority mail.  Auto generated emails from paypal and ebay should be sent as they get printed.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2021 at 3:10 PM, [email protected] said:

I'm not sure.  If you have the post info so I can read it.   The rear contrast knob(LCD power control) works as it was originally designed with both new LCDs.

Found the post: 

 

I've probably misread it and you were only talking about switching the backlight on and off. A brightness-control would have been nice, but I'm not complaining :)

Edited by dantist
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ordered one at 00:34:20 CST today! Thank you for providing a solution for these otherwise useless Microvisions. I now have a reason to purchase one after years of hemming and hawing over getting a unit to just never be able to repair the screen.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2021 at 6:06 AM, dantist said:

Found the post: 

 

I've probably misread it and you were only talking about switching the backlight on and off. A brightness-control would have been nice, but I'm not complaining :)

I can't access it.  I have been blocked long ago from that post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sega CD said:

Ordered one at 00:34:20 CST today! Thank you for providing a solution for these otherwise useless Microvisions. I now have a reason to purchase one after years of hemming and hawing over getting a unit to just never be able to repair the screen.

Perfect!  Sales are picking up on these as a result.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...