IGNORED

Feature proposal for FUJINET to download firmware updates

I currently use AVG CART in conjunction with my FUJINET. Like the FUJINET, the firmware for AVG cart is periodically updated. It would be nice to setup a system to pull the latest firmware for AVG Cart, SDDriveMax or any other hardware we have that can flash itself through Fujinet instead of first downloading it to a PC. Then copying to the where the device needs it. I don't know if that is possible. But just thought I would suggest it.

The FujiNet flasher automatically downloads the latest firmware.

We EXPLICITLY did not do OTA, because it literally wipes out half of the available firmware space for the device, unequivocally. Given that we want all the space we can get to add new features, I found this compromise, unacceptable.

-Thom

• Like 2

On 11/9/2020 at 8:34 AM, gs80065xe said:

I currently use AVG CART in conjunction with my FUJINET. Like the FUJINET, the firmware for AVG cart is periodically updated. It would be nice to setup a system to pull the latest firmware for AVG Cart, SDDriveMax or any other hardware we have that can flash itself through Fujinet instead of first downloading it to a PC. Then copying to the where the device needs it. I don't know if that is possible. But just thought I would suggest it.

Sounds to me like you want FujiNet to download and install updates to AVG cart and SDriveMax (and other fancy add ons). I think this idea is neat, but don't think it's feasible. As @tschak909 said, we have disabled the ability for FujiNet to update itself to save space. The other devices likely need serial/USB connections or files on SD card to update themselves.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gs80065xe said:

Guess I didn't think this through. I guess as long as those devices can hit an endpoint via Fujinet, I should put this request to them. Although it would be nice for Fujinet to update itself. But if there's not enough space then there isn't..

it's not about not enough space: it's about not wasting space where we absolutely do not need to.

A 50% reduction in a 16 megabyte flash is a horrible compromise. We are currently using roughly 1/3rd of our space, and I would like to see this device as a long term platform for people to keep adding features to. Cutting flash space in half seriously compromises that.

-Thom

• Like 1

extremely difficult.

@anyone can somebody with a suitable environment make a 32-bit binary?

-Thom

p.s. as long as you're on Windows, you're fighting a losing battle.

If you really want something truly private, go to Tails, or QubeOS. I speak from actual experience, as I run Tails for my trusted systems and have used QubeOS extensively. If you balk at this, you're just whining all tin-foil hat, and are just being stubborn.

-Thom

Edited by tschak909

yes. if you want them, you'll need to do them yourself.

Again, If you ACTUALLY give a fuck about security, and aren't just whining, I've given you two actual alternatives that are trusted environments that not only contain zero surveillance-ware, but are highly compartmentalized.

I am awfully tired of tin foil hat wearing individuals that stick to operating systems that are gigantic security holes out of ignorance or just plain stubbornness, and use the excuse of "but muh freedumz!" every fucking time that they're asked why they don't switch. Stop lying to yourself.

-Thom

Edited by tschak909
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Kyle22 said:

Is this REALLY that difficult, or do you hate [and are trying to exclude] XP32 people? This has nothing to do with 'security' This is about COMPATIBILITY.

:)

None of us have the necessary build environment.

If you think it's so easy, then please, do it. I am tired of broaching this subject, and have tasks that I actually can do, that I am doing at the moment.

(for those casually looking along, he has asked for this, we have repeatedly told him we have no way to build it, and that if he wants it, he'll need to build it and contribute it to the community)

-Thom

Edited by tschak909

@Kyle22 You're running one of the world's least secure and most malware-targeted 32-bit operating systems. You're not doing yourself any favors staying on it.  If you're really concerned about security, go with one of the more secure Linux distributions. There you'll have current support and patches and also be able to run many legacy Win32 programs via WINE.

No one is ignoring Windows XP out of spite. The tools to support it have been either deprecated or outright unsupported by Microsoft for years, so anyone wanting to support it would have to go though (oftentimes significant) extra effort to do so.  We need to spend our very limited programming resources on FujiNet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jamm said:

@Kyle22 You're running one of the world's least secure and most malware-targeted 32-bit operating systems. You're not doing yourself any favors staying on it.  If you're really concerned about security, go with one of the more secure Linux distributions. There you'll have current support and patches and also be able to run many legacy Win32 programs via WINE.

No one is ignoring Windows XP out of spite. The tools to support it have been either deprecated or outright unsupported by Microsoft for years, so anyone wanting to support it would have to go though (oftentimes significant) extra effort to do so.  We need to spend our very limited programming resources on FujiNet.

Understood, but still would be nice.

• Confused 1