IGNORED

Popeye 7800

darryl1970

On 1/8/2021 at 12:08 PM, darryl1970 said:

Let's see what you got!!

Just number 5...

image.thumb.png.ca35c3692713eb7e3b0b8093e9912c43.png

...for now.

Holy crap...63,000+! What do you do, catch every heart at 500 and smash dozens of vultures?  LOL!  

This must be what the other side feels like when we had the Donkey Kong XM competition several years back.

Seriously, amazing playing there.  I can definitely see me in the 40K's, maybe on awesome gameplay days, 50K's...but 60K's?  Wow...Great job!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Trebor said:

Just number 5...

image.thumb.png.ca35c3692713eb7e3b0b8093e9912c43.png

...for now.

Holy crap...63,000+! What do you do, catch every heart at 500 and smash dozens of vultures?  LOL!  

This must be what the other side feels like when we had the Donkey Kong XM competition several years back.

Seriously, amazing playing there.  I can definitely see me in the 40K's, maybe on awesome gameplay days, 50K's...but 60K's?  Wow...Great job!

That's really cool! Great job!

I used a few point-pressing strategies.

I'll give people more time to figure it out before I give any hints.

Anybody know who the initials belong to? PRJ (Novice) / RAZ & TUX (Arcade) - are pretty close!

Not to get all nit-picky, but the colors on the first board are kind of too same-y. What I mean is, Popeye looks like he has no head on the first board when he's on the top (thru->) level, because his skin color is way too close to the yellowish bottom border of Olive's platform.

They might not be as arcade-accurate as the 2.9 demo, but the 2.9 demo is much easier on the eyes.

This is on real hardware, concerto, through a UAV mod to an LCD.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Not to get all nit-picky, but the colors on the first board are kind of too same-y. What I mean is, Popeye looks like he ahs no head on the first board when he's on the top (thru->) level, because his skin color is way too close to the yellowish bottom border of Olive's platform.

They might not be as arcade-accurate as the 2.9 demo, but the 2.9 demo is much eaiser on the eyes.

This is on real hardware, concerto, through a UAV mod to an LCD.

I appreciate that feedback. The colors look different on my Sony TV and Capture card, but it concerns me how bad it looks in emulation.

I am thinking I may revert back to the previous colors. (I may give it one more shot, but have the safe colors to fall back on.)

--Darryl

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, darryl1970 said:

I appreciate that feedback. The colors look different on my Sony TV and Capture card, but it concerns me how bad it looks in emulation.

I am thinking I may revert back to the previous colors. (I may give it one more shot, but have the safe colors to fall back on.)

--Darryl

Maybe just a shade or two darker yellow/gold/brown on that lower platform. The rest looked great though! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, darryl1970 said:

I thought $2B looked really good from the prior (RC2.3) build.

While it doesn't necessarily have to be that rich - could possibly go perhaps a $2C or $3C - but the current (RC2.5) $3E is a bit too washed out.

• Like 2

@John Stamos Mullet And @Trebor,

I agree. I am still on the fence as to whether I should brighten up the steps a little. The REAL problem I was having was never being happy with the level right below the grass. I finally gave in and tore the thing apart.

This is why I hesitated so long to move the grass tile down one level. I didn't have enough RAM to add to the grass field. When I deleted the first 5 tiles from my main screen tileset, everything was gone.

This also meant that I needed to re-align the tile indexes for the hearts drawn in Popeye's house.

image.thumb.png.be2056fd532a6636ae415d05a8b92a3b.png

But I pushed on, and I relaid all of the new tiles:

image.thumb.png.f67f0422ccf7be440ada5285f95f6fe5.png   ==========> image.thumb.png.7f43ddad3f18eedce6fcebc09fdf313c.png

I also added a few extra things. I now keep Olive from walking too far to the right, once the last heart is thrown. This keeps the BIG heart from being drawn off screen.

I also updated the background for REV F.

Version 2.5 is available in the first post. JS7800 will also update the special demo soon!

Edited by darryl1970
  • Like 7

This might have been found and fixed already and I haven't tried 2.5 yet. But I did have a note just stay sitting on the second level platform under Olive once when I was playing the game. Not sure what happened just prior to cause it. Maybe I lost a life just as it got there? But yeah instead of floating down it just stayed sitting there. The other notes were falling normally so it was the odd note out.

2 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

This might have been found and fixed already and I haven't tried 2.5 yet. But I did have a note just stay sitting on the second level platform under Olive once when I was playing the game. Not sure what happened just prior to cause it. Maybe I lost a life just as it got there? But yeah instead of floating down it just stayed sitting there. The other notes were falling normally so it was the odd note out.

Thanks for the input.

Feature though; not a bug. :)

That is based on the arcade version.

The arcade notes will also slow down around the 2nd level, in addition to one or two getting stuck. They eventually break free.

--Darryl

1 hour ago, darryl1970 said:

Thanks for the input.

Feature though; not a bug. :)

That is based on the arcade version.

The arcade notes will also slow down around the 2nd level, in addition to one or two getting stuck. They eventually break free.

--Darryl

Wow cool! I was never that awesome at the arcade game so I hadn't seen or noticed it before.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Wow cool! I was never that awesome at the arcade game so I hadn't seen or noticed it before.

This starts at a point where the 2nd note lands right behind Brutus. After that, if you jump to about 3:34, you can see a note slow down when it hits the second level.

• Like 2