IGNORED

Popeye 7800

darryl1970

1 hour ago, mhodgeshvs said:

Sorry for the dumb question, but I can't seem to switch difficulties- I've tried either button, select switch, joystick, etc. Can anybody advise?  I'm playing it on a Concerto cart. 

I thought you can not as it is a demo. 

4 hours ago, mhodgeshvs said:

Sorry for the dumb question, but I can't seem to switch difficulties- I've tried either button, select switch, joystick, etc. Can anybody advise?  I'm playing it on a Concerto cart. 

Only arcade is available in the demo. However, there is a special demo version on the JS7800 emulator. While it is still a demo of 3 screens, it includes Novice and Expert.

2 hours ago, Jinks said:

I thought you can not as it is a demo.

Correct, but the JS7800 version does open up the difficulty levels, and there's a global high score board. Since the game is limited to 3 screens, it requires a lot of point pressing to get on the leaderboard. It's kind of a fun twist.

Edited by darryl1970
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, darryl1970 said:

Only arcade is available in the demo. However, there is a special demo version on the JS7800 emulator. While it is still a demo of 3 screens, it includes Novice and Expert.

Correct, but the JS7800 version does open up the difficulty levels, and there's a global high score board. Since the game is limited to 3 screens, it requires a lot of point pressing to get on the leaderboard. It's kind of a fun twist.

Thank you 

• Like 1

I had some old template for the manuals but for the time being I made up some clip insert art works I drew for the game if you need more on them Im almost done inking and coloring them as flat images for how to play game and again doing them in the classic Popeye artworks .

I used the ideas poses from the old arcade sprite and just trying to redrawn them as if they where made from the cartoon.

Illustration5.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Atariboy2600 said:

I had some old template for the manuals but for the time being I made up some clip insert art works I drew for the game if you need more on them Im almost done inking and coloring them as flat images for how to play game and again doing them in the classic Popeye artworks .

I used the ideas poses from the old arcade sprite and just trying to redrawn them as if they where made from the cartoon.

Illustration5.png

Fantastic work! :thumbsup:

• Like 4

On 3/13/2021 at 5:09 PM, 7800Knight said:

YES!  I am looking forward to getting this on cartridge.

I am actually waiting for somebody to let me know what format the manual should be in. I am looking for a template or just instructions of how I should lay it out.

I have ideas, and I now have great artwork to sprinkle throughout.

The "Final" version seems to be holding up without any issues.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I should start this with an update. I finished a draft box, and I presented it to Al. There will probably be some refinements in the final version.

I now have a template for creating a manual, and I have great artwork. I just need to find the time to put it all together. I am working through the week, and my weekends have been packed with busy.

I hope to get to it soon.

Here is my original reason for this post:

I've heard the "Expert" mode described as "brutal". I decided to create long-play video on Expert. It's challenging, but not impossible.

(The 30fps capture of emulation make it look more flickery in places. Emulation was easier.)

While making the video, I found a funny bug. I am going to leave it, because all of my favorite childhood games had cool bugs. I think this one would be really hard to duplicate though. The death sound is never meant to play while Popeye has the spinach. The end effect is comedic to me. It's like a failed heroic moment.

One of my favorite childhood game glitches was in the Popeye I grew up on. I don't know if the Atari 8-bit has this bug, but the 5200 definitely does. Brutus has to be at just the right distance, just as he is jumping on the see saw. I figured this out when I was about 13 years old. I don't recall any mention of it anywhere.

Edited by darryl1970
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't think anything was said about it appearing in the store after the break. It sounds like work on the manual has just begun, and these things can take time. I will definitely be getting a copy when it is available, though. ?

• Like 1