IGNORED

Popeye 7800

darryl1970

On 7/20/2021 at 2:45 PM, gambler172 said:

Hi Darryl

A digital release is easy....i pay and you send the final a78 file.....maybe a special note in the code,so if someone tries to sell copies,you can idenrify him.

Cause shipping costs in Corona times are damn high,i would also buy a digital copy

I am no releasing it. Al asked me if I'd like to release it through AA, so I am going that route. It would be really easy to remove a person's name with a hex editor. I think the Intellivision games will quit working if the checksum is different. The main reason I would like the binary ROM to be secured is more outside of AA. I wouldn't want one of the eBay scalpers getting a hold of it and taking away from the AtariAge sales. I get a lot out of this community, and I would like to give back.

On 7/20/2021 at 4:15 PM, x=usr(1536) said:

Speaking as someone who has limited physical space and the choice of it being occupied by either hardware or software, hardware usually wins out.  You can't shrink the size of a computer, but you can certainly make software not take up shelf space if it's on an SD card ?

Yes. I am in the same boat, and I love my SD carts. I have physical carts, but I prefer to reset and re-select.

On 7/20/2021 at 11:20 PM, John Stamos Mullet said:

You should sell physical copies only to start, and then when physical sales drop off naturally, release the rom for digital sales. 

I love my concerto, but you deserve to get paid until people stop buying it first. It doesn't take that long, this market is pretty small. 

Thank you. I don't expect to get rich, and I don't mind sharing with the community. My big concern is that I don't want to do anything that would allow the game to get on the eBay market before Al can get it into the store.

On 7/22/2021 at 12:27 AM, BrianC said:

I love that it uses pokey, but part of me is curious what a 7800 Popeye would sound like if it was by the same people who did the official DK, Mario Bros., and DK Jr. ports. However, I certainly wouldn't prefer it to sound like that!

The original Mini-Game was all TIA. I am glad it wasn't the loud, obnoxious burp and fart noises from the official 7800 Nintendo releases. They make me cringe so badly.

10 hours ago, christo930 said:

Speaking of which, I wish someone would port DKII to the 7800.  It's such a rare upgrade to an arcade game made in the modern era by a "homebrewer"  Or at least something new but added to an arcade game as a kind of "plus" version while still keeping the look and feel of the original.

Well...

8 minutes ago, gambler172 said:

DK 2??

Oh....i know someone.....?

If you're thinking of who I am thinking of, it's DK Remix, not DKII.

I have DK II and DK Remix in my arcade cabinet. DK Remix is novel. It's cool to have 4 new levels, but the levels are kind of dull and boring. DK Remix is awesome. It's like DK on steroids.

It's been awhile since I played DK II for the Intellivision. I purchased the ROM before I had an LTO Flash. The arcade DK II doesn't have 3 characters, so it doesn't allow climbing ladders with the hammer or jumping with the hammer. However, DK Remix has a blue hammer. Mario can jump when he has the blue hammer. Pretty cool.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, darryl1970 said:

Thank you. I don't expect to get rich, and I don't mind sharing with the community. My big concern is that I don't want to do anything that would allow the game to get on the eBay market before Al can get it into the store.

If for no other reason...

Also - we all have the fully functional, if hard as balls demo!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, darryl1970 said:

I am no releasing it. Al asked me if I'd like to release it through AA, so I am going that route. It would be really easy to remove a person's name with a hex editor. I think the Intellivision games will quit working if the checksum is different. The main reason I would like the binary ROM to be secured is more outside of AA. I wouldn't want one of the eBay scalpers getting a hold of it and taking away from the AtariAge sales. I get a lot out of this community, and I would like to give back.

Yes. I am in the same boat, and I love my SD carts. I have physical carts, but I prefer to reset and re-select.

Nice, I still dig physical releases.  I haven't done much with my 7800 as I was waiting for the XM module, and I think I have someone's 7800 flash cart somewhere, but I've never used it.  

Always good to support both the programmer and AtariAge so I'll keep an eye out for this in the store. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

If for no other reason...

Also - we all have the fully functional, if hard as balls demo!

There's a demo on JS7800 emulator that allows the Novice (Rev F) version to be played. It's one less life than normal, so it requires point-pressing to get on the board. I kind of enjoy it. I'd play more often if there was competition.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 10:30 AM, darryl1970 said:

I have DK II and DK Remix in my arcade cabinet. DK Remix is novel. It's cool to have 4 new levels, but the levels are kind of dull and boring. DK Remix is awesome. It's like DK on steroids.

Completely off topic - but was DK Remix ever released as a rom set, either for purchase or free? I can't seem to find any info. It looks awesome, but genuine DK boards aren't exactly something you can pick up on eBay easily.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Completely off topic - but was DK Remix ever released as a rom set, either for purchase or free?

IIRC, there was a demo version of DK Remix released as a ROM set, but it only contained the first couple of levels.  DK Jr. Remix never had a digital-only release, but I'm not 100% certain about that one.

Either way, support was only in HBMAME, not regular MAME.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/25/2021 at 2:37 PM, John Stamos Mullet said:

Completely off topic - but was DK Remix ever released as a rom set, either for purchase or free? I can't seem to find any info. It looks awesome, but genuine DK boards aren't exactly something you can pick up on eBay easily.

There was a Halloween and Christmas hack released in the "Kong Klub." They were about the same, but they had holiday graphical elements. It was for a contest. It was shared for a contest.

On 7/25/2021 at 3:05 PM, x=usr(1536) said:

IIRC, there was a demo version of DK Remix released as a ROM set, but it only contained the first couple of levels.  DK Jr. Remix never had a digital-only release, but I'm not 100% certain about that one.

Either way, support was only in HBMAME, not regular MAME.

I have not seen Jr Remix anywhere else. It's pretty cool!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
11 minutes ago, mr_intv said:

Has Popeye been released or is it getting close to a release? 

I believe that Al is hoping for February or March. Popeye is complete, but there were other games ahead in line. I think the chip shortage may have added some delays.

Pokey games will be released on new cartridge boards, along with the "HOKEY" chip. The new hardware will be tested on a variety of 7800 models. (I am not personally part of that process.) The last I heard was March/April at the latest. I am excited too.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

I spoke with a developer of another highly anticipated 7800 release and I was told there’s more games that will be coming out and they are still planned on coming out. While no date has been set this person informed me that nothing has been cancelled. 

Each release has a lot of work and time that goes into them so I’m sure that’s why they have been split up. Another round will come eventually, have your billfolds ready! Lol

Edited by Silver Back
  • Like 3

On 1/13/2022 at 4:17 PM, bikeguychicago said:

Will there be a ROM release for Concerto as well? I'd gladly pay for that ahead of time while waiting for a boxed release.

I think Albert is planning to offer ROMs for other games, so Popeye could be one. I do not know how they will handle them, to keep them from being sold as bootleg carts on eBay.

As for compatibility, I would make sure the demo plays to your liking. While I have almost perfect sound on Concerto (occasional weird note), James at ZPH had weird POKEY sound. Concerto seems almost perfect for me, but the ship can sometimes freeze until Dragonfly is warmed up.

15 hours ago, darryl1970 said:

I think Albert is planning to offer ROMs for other games, so Popeye could be one. I do not know how they will handle them, to keep them from being sold as bootleg carts on eBay.

As for compatibility, I would make sure the demo plays to your liking. While I have almost perfect sound on Concerto (occasional weird note), James at ZPH had weird POKEY sound. Concerto seems almost perfect for me, but the ship can sometimes freeze until Dragonfly is warmed up.

I have some ROMs for Intellivision where the name of the licensee had be inserted into the ROM file itself, so that may be an option. 

On 7/24/2021 at 10:30 AM, darryl1970 said:

I just re-read this. (Not sure why it popped up, but I am glad I did.) This should read:

I have DK II and DK Remix in my arcade cabinet. DK II is novel. It's cool to have 4 new levels, but the levels are kind of dull and boring just 4 more additional levels. DK Remix is awesome. It's like DK on steroids. It adds bonus rounds, unexpected twists, and new game play elements (a hammer you can jump with, springing barrels, and collapsible floors that require strategy to use.)

Both are great, but Remix benefits from being the second generation of hacks. I wish I could hear my thoughts sometimes as I am typing (especially when I am tired). I REALLY regret saying DK2 is dull and boring. I am not a fan of the conveyor level, as it feels like a lot of waiting. That was the rogue thought that came out sideways. The other levels are really cool. They feel like more DK boards, and they don't change the game play. It was still innovative, and it does add a bit of a puzzle aspect.  Remix adds a lot of game play elements, in addition to new levels.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Trebor said:

DK Remix is excellent.   I especially enjoy the holiday themed ones. 

Christmas Remix gives it a run for its money

Yes, I seem to recall that Christmas Remix had a couple differences in game play vs regular Remix, but I loved the graphic overhaul.

11 hours ago, Trebor said:

, but the Halloween/Spooky Remix edges it out for me.

I agree. I really like the Spooky Remix.

There is a multi kit for the arcade games. It's tempting, but I just don't know that I would ever NEED this. My Donkey Kong cabinet has 3 boards. It has one with Remix, a second with DKII, and a third board is DK Jr with Remix. Supposedly I could do everything with one board now:

https://highscoresave.com/ultimate-donkey-kong-3dk-with-remix-multigame-free-play-and-high-score-save-kit/

The only things I would gain from this would be the Pauline edition, DK3, and the possibility of using one board. Eliminating my current Remix, DKII, and DK Jr Remix kits would result in me losing my currently saved high scores. I feel like I am kind of losing my touch over the past couple years. I don't know if I'd ever get them back.

I am not a fan of Pauline edition (I don't like the animation of Pauline herself), and DK3 is my least favorite of the bunch. I guess it would be nice to round out the cabinet. The biggest gain would be the Christmas and Spooky Remix. I don't know that I can justify the expense when I barely have time to enjoy what I already have. It would be really cool to have them playable in an actual cabinet though. I will stick to the MAME box for now.

Thanks for sharing the videos @Trebor!

• Like 3

On 11/12/2020 at 5:58 AM, darryl1970 said:

This sounds great.

Now I just need a Concerto cartridge, or something so, I can enjoy my creation on real hardware again. ?

My understanding was that nothing is currently finalized. Am I missing something?

If anybody has an unwanted one lying around, please hit me up. Friday's my birthday, so I think I can splurge!

--Darryl

I hope Batari reads this and makes your dreams come true. 

• Haha 1

On 1/23/2022 at 1:33 PM, Jinks said:

I hope Batari reads this and makes your dreams come true. 

Ha! I remember getting my Concerto, and something wouldn't play on Popeye. I think it was the POKEY sound. He created a workaround to get POKEY sound at $450, on the 144k bankswitch scheme. It was a great help in the development process, as emulation is more forgiving than an actual 7800.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

Proud to have played a small role in this. Thanks to @darryl1970 and @Synthpopalooza for letting me join the fun and also to Darryl for the nice comments during the show.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1