Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Minor update 3.1 is now posted on the first page. It has mostly tile adjustments. I moved Popeye's house, the flower, some upper tiles, and a few tiles on the ship level.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Silly question - is the final version also going to have that red background on the novice version, or is that just for the JS7800 version? 

I toned it down to a more brown color.

There is a version in the arcade. It is Revision F. It was made easier, to attract Novice players. (This is where the full-length ladder comes from on the first level.) That is what the "NOVICE" version is based off of. I am trying to find a color that looks good, as the arcade PINK does not adapt well to the 7800. I would need to adjust the OTHER tile colors too.

 

I think I found a color that isn't obnoxious in the latest version.

 

https://www.arcade-history.com/images/game/2015_2.png  image.thumb.png.22c47fd4220cea3c57621fd9e4b9f375.png

 

The color actually looks better on a CRT. I just need to get out to the store before they close, else I'd snap a pic!

 

--Darryl

 

More Info:

http://adb.arcadeitalia.net/dettaglio_mame.php?game_name=popeyef&search_id=

 

http://www.classicarcadegaming.com/forums/index.php?topic=261.30

Edited by darryl1970
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, darryl1970 said:

I took care of it. I also caught I filled the empty space with the wrong characterset. I caught a screen shot to show what happens. This is how finicky it can be. I am glad I caught it!

Darryl, forgive me if I'm finicky, in update 3.1 the area above the pillar below Olive's house has a width of 3 tiles instead the area above the pillar below Popeye's house has a width of 4 tiles, so you can have perfect symmetry (as in the arcade version) reducing the area above the pillar below Popeye's house to 3 tiles. In this case, all the grass under the window (3 tiles) should move one tile to the right. It's an easy change and also my last tip. Thank you.

 

 

 

733406473_newtilesf.thumb.PNG.bc73c0e764fb6ea5952f1a6ee2364b94.PNG

 

 

 

 

989479602_newtilesg.thumb.PNG.be0b30cbd40bce2e35a77136db21ceff.PNG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Defender_2600 said:

Darryl, forgive me if I'm finicky, in update 3.1 the area above the pillar below Olive's house has a width of 3 tiles instead the area above the pillar below Popeye's house has a width of 4 tiles, so you can have perfect symmetry (as in the arcade version) reducing the area above the pillar below Popeye's house to 3 tiles. In this case, all the grass under the window (3 tiles) should move one tile to the right. It's an easy change and also my last tip. Thank you.

 

 

 

733406473_newtilesf.thumb.PNG.bc73c0e764fb6ea5952f1a6ee2364b94.PNG

 

 

 

 

989479602_newtilesg.thumb.PNG.be0b30cbd40bce2e35a77136db21ceff.PNG

 

I left that, because you didn't circle it. lol. I noticed that the arcade looks like it is slightly longer on one side of the post, so I thought it may work. It does look a little big though in retrospect.

 

I think I am about ready to call this done, aside any breaking functionality.

 

Since you made Popeye's head smaller, I cropped it to a 64px-wide banner. That gave me extra graphics space to add the pipe as a separate sprite. I didn't have the space before. Now Popeye's pipe is brown.

PopeyeNewPipe.thumb.png.fa5cfa8f743598f620bf19f6c65f69bc.png

 

 

 

 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, darryl1970 said:

I left that, because you didn't circle it. lol. I noticed that the arcade looks like it is slightly longer on one side of the post, so I thought it may work. It does look a little big though in retrospect.

I didn't surround it because, in the image you posted, you used 3,5 tiles for that detail and although, to be completely honest, I didn't really like the result, I still thought it was your decision. Later, in update 3.1, you changed those tiles again (getting a better result) but this time you used 4 tiles for that detail, so it was time to propose 3 tiles for both the right and left platforms. :) Thank you!

 

43 minutes ago, darryl1970 said:

Since you made Popeye's head smaller, I cropped it to a 64px-wide banner. That gave me extra graphics space to add the pipe as a separate sprite. I didn't have the space before. Now Popeye's pipe is brown.

Absolutely fantastic, I'm glad you did. :thumbsup:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@darryl1970 I love the way it's all coming along, well done, 2 updates in one day!!! It just shows how much passion you have for your work. Some of us WISH we had the same. BRAVO!!!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, darryl1970 said:

I think I am about ready to call this done, aside any breaking functionality.

 

Since you made Popeye's head smaller, I cropped it to a 64px-wide banner. That gave me extra graphics space to add the pipe as a separate sprite. I didn't have the space before. Now Popeye's pipe is brown.

PopeyeNewPipe.thumb.png.fa5cfa8f743598f620bf19f6c65f69bc.png

 

 

 

 

Cart please👍

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, darryl1970 said:

I think I am about ready to call this done, aside any breaking functionality.

I don't wish this to happen, however if you ever come back for any reason, please remember to update this grass tile which makes it even closer to the arcades version. Thanks again.

 

 

 

1232043191_tilevs.thumb.PNG.1e16a0c8f8f858899f4583439e67c124.PNG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2020 at 6:34 PM, darryl1970 said:

Also reversed the ship mast shading, to match the arcade.

Nice. You made me look at the ship again... I was thinking of a couple of cosmetic updates that shouldn't be difficult to implement: reduce the width of the cockpit by a tile (right) and increase the width of Olive's floor (left), just to improve the aesthetics and be closer to the arcade versionbut without updating the logic.

 

 

244462023_shipupdated.thumb.PNG.2a87491da247372245044a379a0c9bcf.PNG

Edited by Defender_2600
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Defender_2600 said:

Nice. You made me look at the ship again... I was thinking of a couple of cosmetic updates that shouldn't be difficult to implement: reduce the width of the cockpit by a tile (right) and increase the width of Olive's floor (left), just to improve the aesthetics and be closer to the arcade versionbut without updating the logic.

 

 

244462023_shipupdated.thumb.PNG.2a87491da247372245044a379a0c9bcf.PNG

Unfortunately, the rail is a sprite, so that it has priority over Olive. I have the graphics bank packed to the max, so I am unable to any width the the sprite. The same moving platform is also a sprite. That is one of the reasons there isn't a rail in to intro. I do not have room in that bank for one at all. If I reduce it to 1, 16x16 rope, it's possible I could plot multiple across the top. I would be endanger of Olive, Bernard, and letters disappearing when in the same zone.

 

Also, Olive regulates when  letters fall into the water. I would have to rework that logic. I have to see if this is feasible, now that I am curious. The sprite size was the reason for the smaller crow's nest.

 

4 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

This is insanely good, well done, everyone. 👍

Thank you! :)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked into the rail. In breaking them down into smaller rails, I could get 4 smaller rails to plot across. This only gained about 2 tiles of the crow's nest, since 16x16 sprites had to overlap the posts. However, the extra sprite plots slowed down gameplay. Therefore, I need to stick to the single 48px sprite during the game play.

 

I WAS able to use this concept in during the intro however. I have room for the smaller rail in the intro, where I couldn't fit another 48px sprite. I can plot 3 across, and it doesn't affect gameplay. I think it's a nice detail that I didn't think was possible. I used Popeye's pallet, in order to keep the rope from getting lost in the mast color. His gray is a little darker than the arcade's gray, but I think it works.

 

I also caught the previous mention of the level 1 tile. That's fixed.

 

image.thumb.png.b87cafe3376017e0ee22381b1f33f99c.png

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

This is insanely good, well done, everyone. 👍

It is undoubtedly, in part, testimony to the beauty of the excellent tools put out by @RevEng (7800basic) and @mksmith (Atari Dev Studio).  I've lost track of how many games are written using 7800basic and how welcoming it has made development for the console.  Atari Dev Studio tricks it out with an interface, tight integration among other apps and tools that helps the learning curve along with saving resources.  

 

It's also a testimony to the support and heart of this community coming together; I am in amazement of @Defender_2600 graphical details and eagle eye as well as the musical achievements of @Synthpopalooza 

 

Additional wonderful contributions by @playsoft, @Pat Brady, @tep392, and of course the gorgeous box art from @Atariboy2600 to look forward to once this hits the AtariAge store.

 

Most of all - absolutely and completely blown away by @darryl1970.  I have to sit back, catch my jaw from dropping, and wrap my head around how in less than 6 months, what started as a 'simple' mini-game (Which is great in itself - holy crap - first time effort out the gate), has become one of the greatest Arcade ports of all time on any 8-bit system.   It is incredibly inspiring to state the very least.  What he has accomplished is phenomenal.

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @Trebor....

 

I was just going to post this: Thanks to Trebor, I realized that Olive doesn't scold Popeye if a letter falls into the water, on the ship levels. Thus, I have remove that scolding on RC 3.3.

 

I suppose this makes sense, since Olive is captured at this point. How would she get away?

 

I did add the word, "HELP!", at the bottom, to make it more obvious what happened. I know it can catch one off guard when a letter sinks.

 

RC 3.3 is posted on the first page. It includes other small graphical details. I am really hoping this may be it. I need to call this done at some point.

 

--Darryl

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't been this excited for a 7800 cart release in years. This is a masterpiece and everyone involved should be very proud of what they have accomplished.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, darryl1970 said:

Thanks @Trebor....

 

I was just going to post this: Thanks to Trebor, I realized that Olive doesn't scold Popeye if a letter falls into the water, on the ship levels. Thus, I have remove that scolding on RC 3.3.

 

I suppose this makes sense, since Olive is captured at this point. How would she get away?

 

I did add the word, "HELP!", at the bottom, to make it more obvious what happened. I know it can catch one off guard when a letter sinks.

 

RC 3.3 is posted on the first page. It includes other small graphical details. I am really hoping this may be it. I need to call this done at some point.

 

--Darryl

In the wise words of George Lucas - "These projects are not released. They escape."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched a video of someone playing an earlier beta, and maybe the only thing missing (other than the 'scolding', which I know is simplified for technical reasons) is the finishing of level 2. In the arcade, when you finish level 2, the notes are shown slower as though they are being 'played'. It looks more random in the current beta.  Not sure if this is possible. 

 

EDIT: one other thing I am noticing from longplays on youtube - after the first loop, I am noticing that it does not go to the ship level at level 6 like it would if it just repeats the same 3 levels in the same order - 'Round 6' is back at the first stage. I did not go back and see if this is the case with the port.  No clue how the order works as I usually would just be happy completing one loop on the real thing. 

Edited by SearsRoebuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sramirez2008 said:

This could become the killer app.  I'm expecting the demand for 7800 consoles to spike on eBay.

Glad I got mine back in October, already 2600 systems are going for a higher price more than ever, indeed classic gaming is alive and well, mainly because of all of the dedicated programmers who make the mojo happen, who would ever have thought 1980s gaming systems would become just as huge now as they were back then!!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic conversion so far - whats frustrating is clearly the 7800 was much more capable than Atari utilized for their commercial releases.  I get the deadlines, etc.., but the colors and graphics on some of the arcade ports are terrible.  This looks and plays very close to the arcade.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, SearsRoebuck said:

I watched a video of someone playing an earlier beta, and maybe the only thing missing (other than the 'scolding', which I know is simplified for technical reasons) is the finishing of level 2.

Olive does scold Popeye when a heart or note falls into the the water.  She just doesn't point at the note. I just realized today that she doesn't scold Popeye on the arcade ship levels, so I removed that from this port. I am not sure if that is what you are referring to.

45 minutes ago, SearsRoebuck said:

In the arcade, when you finish level 2, the notes are shown slower as though they are being 'played'. It looks more random in the current beta.  Not sure if this is possible. 

There is not any room left to trigger specific notes, at specific time. Since they are not actual notes on a scale, they wouldn't really have a correct order to be played.

45 minutes ago, SearsRoebuck said:

 

EDIT: one other thing I am noticing from longplays on youtube - after the first loop, I am noticing that it does not go to the ship level at level 6 like it would if it just repeats the same 3 levels in the same order - 'Round 6' is back at the first stage. I did not go back and see if this is the case with the port.  No clue how the order works as I usually would just be happy completing one loop on the real thing. 

The game follows the arcade screen order: Hearts, Notes, Ship, Hearts, Notes, Heart, Ship. From that point on, it loops in 1, 2, 3 order.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Trebor said:

and of course the gorgeous box art from @Atariboy2600 to look forward to once this hits the AtariAge store.

Hear, hear! I can't wait to see the CIB in the Store.👍

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...