IGNORED

Sketch mate Super sketch

jonc

Sketch Mate requires that you load it via E/A then switch to the Super Sketch cartridge by either preventing the module reset at insertion or use something like the Widget to switch between the two cartridges.

I have never tried this so I have nothing to provide here.  I think Sketch Mate replaces all functionality of the cartridge ROM, so I would love to replace the on-board ROM.  (Assuming it is ROM and no GROM.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your replies when I load the sketch mate there is a burst of disk activity then in stead of loading the sketch mate screen 

i get a garbled noise then it sounds like its loading but nothing appears on screen no matter how long i wait.

its meant to load the sketch mate screen then you can switch cartridges to super sketch then that should give ss the ability to print

and save to disk I have tried a couple sketch mate  dsk images one i got on here and one i copied from a real floppy they both do the same

I can only Think it is a nanopeb incompatibility

I would be interested to see If anyone else can get the Sketch Mate Program to load to the title screen as i say sketch mate.dsk is on a previous

thread you need to load and run DSK1.SKETCH on EA Or MM or just let Xb load automatically  Cheers....

Edited by jonc
  • Thanks 1

Ahh. This gives me reason to try it. I think I might have the disk too. The secret is unplugging the cart and plugging in xb. Hmm...I'm not sure that will work.. but we'll see.

Unfortunately, I'm halfway of out the door to get the dog a haircut and some shopping with the kid. But maybe tommorow I'll give it a try.

Thx

Edited by GDMike

2 hours ago, jonc said:

Thanks for your replies when I load the sketch mate there is a burst of disk activity then in stead of loading the sketch mate screen 

i get a garbled noise then it sounds like its loading but nothing appears on screen no matter how long i wait.

its meant to load the sketch mate screen then you can switch cartridges to super sketch then that should give ss the ability to print

and save to disk I have tried a couple sketch mate  dsk images one i got on here and one i copied from a real floppy they both do the same

I can only Think it is a nanopeb incompatibility

I would be interested to see If anyone else can get the Sketch Mate Program to load to the title screen as i say sketch mate.dsk is on a previous

thread you need to load and run DSK1.SKETCH on EA Or MM or just let Xb load automatically  Cheers....

sounds like it..   can you attach the dsk image? I'll try it here with both the nano and a sidecar 32k/tipi setup 

4 minutes ago, jonc said:

Hi i can run a program on the sketchmate.disk called DEFINE which sets up the printer so the dsk is readable

it  just wont install Im sorry but i dont know what you mean by attatch the dsk image

attach it to this message group so we can download what you are trying and try it  didn't you say you had a dsk image?  maybe point  a link to where you got it?

So I see in my pbox system sketchmate loads and then immediately tries to read from the physical DSK1. even with the TIPI DSK1. being set..SO they seem to be doing some sort of direct access to the disk controller. Then it crashes hard and I have to power down the expansion box to recover. 

Greg

7 minutes ago, jonc said:

HI Greg t hanks for that

Still no luck here I tried a  different CF card in the nano  that didnt work either 

Its starting to annoy me now.......

Do you think its the Dsk image at fault?

I am leaning that way, it smells like some sort of copy protection there's a weird file in there too 

Went back to TI-PC which copies real ti floppy to ti files and checked out my original floppy

and before it is copied it shows the DEFAULT file as a PROGRAM but after the transfer to

DSK file it Shows as UKNOWN and cant be edited. 

As you said Greg it must be copy protected and the DSK image is useless 

So I guess thats it unless I get a TI floppy set up, anyway

thanks for your help

Jon

Edited by jonc
  • Like 1

Took a look at it...

After loading DSK1.SKETCH, (with the XB loader, I believe), it jumps into the code at >BE32.

It runs some code to overwrite part of the scratchpad -- part of this includes overwriting the top of VRAM address (and looks valid, but it doesn't appear to tell the disk controller... however at some point a valid signature was loaded there.)

It then directly reads DSK1, sector 257. This appears to be the second to last sector of the file "S3".

It then reads just two bytes out of the sector, at offset 0x1C. This gets >3842 from the middle of line 0166, and stores them at >A0A8. This is then compared to the value in R9 which is >2042. The mismatch sends it off to >B3FC, in the middle of a data copy loop which now has a length of >0000, and so it intends to copy 64k of data and thereby crashes.

When this test passes, it loads "DEFAULT" from disk (including the corrupt-looking character, so that's valid) and then the SketchMate title page comes up. I can't test further than that with Classic99. When I forced a jump past the switch detection it was unhappy, but there are any number of reasons for that!

I don't know the original intent, but it kind of looks like the files were copied to a new disk rather than a disk copy being done, and so they moved. A quick search finds >2042 in only two places, though neither is at the correct sector offset (which I would expect even if it was a file copy error). They are both in the file PRINTER.

Anyway, it's probably easiest to just patch out the check, that's what I've done here. I looked for a similar sequence elsewhere and I found a couple, so with fingers crossed I cleared them all. They were at these disk image offsets, in these files:

5FD0    S2
9A10    S3
D310    SKETCH

And here's the relevant code. S2 and S3 have the BLWPs to different addresses.

B400  16FD  jne  >b3fc                 
   B402  C047  mov  R7,R1                 
   B404  0420  blwp @>c576   set up PAB?             
         C576
   B408  0420  blwp @>c37c   DSRLNK - read sector 257    -> change to 1007 (JMP >B418)
         C37C
   B40C  000A  data >000a                 
   B40E  C008  mov  R8,R0     
   B410  0420  blwp @>c57e   VMBR (gets 3842)
         C57E
   B414  85C9  c    R9,*R7   Compare to >2042
   B416  16F2  jne  >b3fc    jump on failure - deliberate crash

I don't know for certain if the changes to S2 and S3 are right since I don't know when they load, but, it was the same code path. If they are now broken and used to work, we can change them back. ;)

SketchMate_Patched.dsk

image.thumb.png.545f3033e566210322ef26947692741b.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3