IGNORED

Printing with FujiNet

After viewing the YouTube video "FujiNet For Dummies" I attempted to print by allowing FujiNet to capture the "P:" command and proceed. What happened was an error on my Atari "error 136" or 138, and an error on my PC "unexpected web server error". It looks easy on the video but isn't working for me. Can anyone offer help?

Just had success with using a printer attached via my Internet and am very happy. The PrintShop program taken from a FujiNet TNFS server is already set up to accomplish this task. Thank you very much. Now has anyone had any success with Xlent Software's First Word Processor?  I loved it years ago and would love to use it again via FujiNet. 

56 minutes ago, Fred Olivas said:

Just had success with using a printer attached via my Internet and am very happy. The PrintShop program taken from a FujiNet TNFS server is already set up to accomplish this task. Thank you very much. Now has anyone had any success with Xlent Software's First Word Processor?  I loved it years ago and would love to use it again via FujiNet. 

It should just work.

-Thom

• Like 1

Yes I agree however Xlent First Word does not work however Atari Writer worked (printed) right from the gate!  Haven't figured out how to: SAVE, READ files. When selecting NEW for a fresh disk image FujiNet freezes and crashes however after resetting FujiNet the disk appears but cannot be addressed, that is seen by DOS or AW. Glitchy. 

3 hours ago, Fred Olivas said:

Yes I agree however Xlent First Word does not work however Atari Writer worked (printed) right from the gate!  Haven't figured out how to: SAVE, READ files. When selecting NEW for a fresh disk image FujiNet freezes and crashes however after resetting FujiNet the disk appears but cannot be addressed, that is seen by DOS or AW. Glitchy. 

Did you format the disk after creating it?

-Thom

Okay. Success at last!  Found XLEnt Software's Word Processor on the Atari8 TNFS site and d/l'ed the installation software. It mounted and worked perfectly whereby I can now print via my local WiFi and use a laser printer to print a PDF file just like it was an Arari1025 printer!  I can also save and retrieve files onto and from drive D2:. No other drives are supported but that's okay with me. Thank you Thom Cherryhomes and all others who participate in the development of the FujiNet. An amazing and useful device. The learning (relearning) curve seems steep to me but then I have a breakthrough. I wish there was a users group in my area (Portland,OR) but because of COVID-19 this will have to wait. I hope others are as excited as I am about FujiNet. 

Fred Olivas

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fred Olivas said:

Okay. Success at last!  Found XLEnt Software's Word Processor on the Atari8 TNFS site and d/l'ed the installation software. It mounted and worked perfectly whereby I can now print via my local WiFi and use a laser printer to print a PDF file just like it was an Arari1025 printer!  I can also save and retrieve files onto and from drive D2:. No other drives are supported but that's okay with me. Thank you Thom Cherryhomes and all others who participate in the development of the FujiNet. An amazing and useful device. The learning (relearning) curve seems steep to me but then I have a breakthrough. I wish there was a users group in my area (Portland,OR) but because of COVID-19 this will have to wait. I hope others are as excited as I am about FujiNet. 

Fred Olivas

Glad you got it going! Where were you stuck? What was the moment of insight? What could be done better?

-Thom

Still discovering by trial and error with word processing.  Printer control via WiFi into FujiNet interface on my iMac works generically.  Even though my WP offers BOLDFACE and ITALIC typefaces, the print functions just ignore these commands.  Printer is set to Epson and I am printing to Epson from WP.  These commands are ignored.  Many commands aren't though.  Center text, double spacing, margins and indents come through just fine.  It's the subtle points that get lost.  Just saying.

Thanks to some Polish group that wrote an installation program for XLEnt Software's First Word Processor.  And, of course, Print Shop which ran correctly right from the get go.  I get stuck at many places and I try to figure issues out myself but when I can't figure out how to "fix" a problem, then I reach out for assistance.  Like here.

In order to BOLD print with XLEnt First Word Processor I must press a combination of OPTION+B.  ITALICS is OPTION+I, UNDERLINE is OPTION+U, etc.  Who ever is handling the printer functions within FujiNet please make note.  And I hope this helps as I do understand that this project is ongoing and always in development.

Thank you,

Fred Olivas

BOLD printing on an Epson 80 dot matrix printer.  The code is: 27 (ESC), 69 (1) to turn on.  27(ESC), 70 (0) to stop.  Does NOT work with FJ emulated drivers.  Italic code is: 27(ESC), 52 to start, and 27(ESC), 53 to stop.  Also doesn't work.  What am I doing wrong here. The codes are directly from Epson and their 9pin dot matrix printers.  This is driving me crazy.  I see that others have success by the screen shots they submit but I have not had any luck yet.  Still tryin'.

I've been reading about Atari Max's APE (Atari Peripheral Emulator) which correctly translates the output from, for example, Atari Word Processors so that one can print, via emulation, onto other printers by correctly emulating an Epson MX80 printer.  I realize that the FX80 and Epson Printshop printer emulators are currently available on the FujiNet page but they are somewhat lacking in printout abilities.  So this got me wondering if this can be folded into the FujiNet print page so that printer output is correct.  I don't know how to accomplish this which is why I am asking.  Also, it's strictly an Atari/Windows program and I don't know if this really matters in regards to FujiNet.  As an end user is there a way to fold printer emulators into/onto the FujiNet page?

Anyone have a comment?

On 11/22/2020 at 2:55 PM, FreddieBear said:

BOLD printing on an Epson 80 dot matrix printer.  The code is: 27 (ESC), 69 (1) to turn on.  27(ESC), 70 (0) to stop.  Does NOT work with FJ emulated drivers.  Italic code is: 27(ESC), 52 to start, and 27(ESC), 53 to stop.  Also doesn't work.  What am I doing wrong here. The codes are directly from Epson and their 9pin dot matrix printers.  This is driving me crazy.  I see that others have success by the screen shots they submit but I have not had any luck yet.  Still tryin'.

According to the XLEnt Word Processor Manual (PDF) (which I believe you are using) you must setup the printer driver with the proper control codes. Did you do this (see page 34 of the manual)?

22530762_Screenshotfrom2020-11-2418-46-20.thumb.png.e2612268a785d58469661029c08aa9ff.png

Ran Daisy Dot II and it works as expected with excellent font characteristics however none of the attributes come through: BOLD, ITALICS, EXPANDED etc...

Perhaps my printer drivers are off yet I don't know why.  First byte: 27 (this is ESCAPE CODE), 69 (BOLD FACE), 1 (FOR ON) Followed by the second screen: 27, 70, 0 for off.  Other codes are/were installed the same way for the other attributes to no avail.

I haven't touched the drivers in Atari Writer Plus as they are present on the disk.  When selected FX80 for printer and select Epson 80 on FujiNet app, font attributes don't pass through to the printout.  Once again stuck with an unknown problem.

@FreddieBear I think you're doing everything right. The problem is on my side as I have not implemented any special text in the Epson emulator on FujiNet. Sorry I sent you on a wild goose chase! I made the Epson emulator primarily for PrintShop figuring most people would use one of the several Atari printer emulators for word processing output. All the Atari emulators have their complete respective font sets. I custom wrote from scratch all the FujiNet printer emulators to run native on the ESP32 and created many of the OpenType fonts for the Atari character sets based on real output. If you're interested, the source code for the printers is here: https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-platformio/tree/master/lib/printer-emulator. I can add spiffing up the Epson emulator to my to do list to try and supply the basic extras like bold, italics and underline. I'm glad to see you using it! Thank-you for trying it out and testing. 

• Like 2

Super cool!  I thought the whole mess was on my end.  I just need remember that this device is still in development and to be patient.  The 3 word processors I've tried, Atari Writer Plus, Letter Perfect and XLEnt's First Wordprocessor all have FX80 control codes on board, at least this is what their manuals say.  I guess this is what has been driving me crazy.  With ESC & number and on or off codes.  I've replaced the DRIVER.SYS at least 4 times in the XLEnt program, slightly changing each element (byte) as every Epson FX80 manual has slightly different codes.  48 for a 1 or 49 for a 0.  Of course nothing has worked but I saved the original DRIVER.SYS under a different name so it's just a matter of renaming it once the FujiNet print portion is updated.  Thanks so much.

On 11/25/2020 at 12:08 AM, FreddieBear said:

Yes I was interested and I looked over the code you wrote.  I just don't know where it goes.  I know that it's not in the FujiNet app as I've tried every one of them.  I will be patient.  Please have a wonderful Thanksgiving Holiday to you and yours.

@FreddieBear I had a nice Thanksgiving, thank-you! I hope yours was likewise.

It turns out the entire Epson font family takes 2MB of flash storage which is too much for the device right now. I'd like to keep the size small because we don't know what other future features we'll need the flash for. Which are most important fonts to you? For example, here's a small group:

8=PICA with all 8 options (regular, doublestrike, italic, double+ital) x 2 for underline.

2=PICA expanded (regular only)

2=Condensed (and expanded) regular 

2=Elite (and expanded) regular

I attached an example I made using BASIC. Please, let me know what you think.

printout-30.pdf

Edited by jeffpiep
add attachment
  • Like 1

Happy Sunday!  I looked at your printout-30.pdf and just wanted to tell you that that is I am after!  Did you, can you use 8=PICA with all 8 options, but I didn't see BOLD there.  Hope it won't take up too much memory.  Was also wondering if you could instead use the PrintShop Epson selection and perhaps not have to write out all the memory taking data.  Just a thought and thank you for working on this issue that I'm sure will help many others get what they want from their Word Processors.

On a different note I was looking at a YouTube video posted from Thom Cherryholmes which showed him downloading .ATX files and running them.  This was posted perhaps a few months ago and the reason I am asking is that because I don't have a working disk drive attached to my Atari and therefore can't load a particular program that I own, I found it at a site which only had .ATX files of the program I am speaking of.  I downloaded it and attempted to run but it just keep rebooting until I shut it all down.  The program is XLEnt Software's Megafont II+ which I have also found in .ATR but it is corrupted and doesn't work.  Just asking.  Thank you for addressing my concerns in regards to the printing issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news!  With the latest FujiNet update, December, I am now able to print using Italics, Underline and Expanded fonts within my word processor.  This is fantastic news.  Thanks go to Jeff Piep for is tireless work and dedication on the FujiNet project.

One happy camper.

Alfred Olivas

Gresham, Oregon

• Like 4

Hoping none finds this question irritating: Is it possible to do a  dump of the screen to print,  regardless of graphics sort of in the same manner The Black Box can?

If not is this something that can be implemented in the future ?

Sorry if I missed something but all the things I see dumped to a PDF are text or derivatives. 

It would be nice for example to be able to print a computereyes new image or a screenshot from a demo.

I understand that most of this could equally be accomplished via emulation and then to PC printer, but it's something to be able to do it in original hardware. Even in black or white or monocolor. I have a basic driver that changes the color on multicolor Star printers. 

As an example back in the early 90s I came across a picture in a european disk magazine of a can of coke (red) usibg the Black Box and the star printer driver was able to a great looking picture.