IGNORED

Atari XE/7800 Light Gun Alternatives?

7800Knight

14 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

He must be running low, I paid $24.95 for mine.

I think @R.Cade is referring to $50 as the going rate on eBay. "Untested" XG-1s have recently gone for $13 and $5, respectively. @7800Knight, I'd recommend setting an alert on eBay and then you can pounce when a decently-priced one pops up. Or go the Best Electronics route, as suggested.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sixersfan105 said:

I think @R.Cade is referring to $50 as the going rate on eBay. "Untested" XG-1s have recently gone for $13 and $5, respectively. @7800Knight, I'd recommend setting an alert on eBay and then you can pounce when a decently-priced one pops up. Or go the Best Electronics route, as suggested.

Best Electronics "Best Light Gun" is manufactured differently from the XG-1's and tend to be increasingly pricier ever few years. I think it was $35 four years ago for the Best Electronics model, when I bought one. Below: XG-1 vs Best

image.jpeg.99d93427843644f7c86b0c43dfdd24d7.jpegimage.png.80f60ab363bfe678077eca8cdbcf23c4.png

On 11/12/2020 at 4:58 PM, Swami said:

Best Electronics "Best Light Gun" is manufactured differently from the XG-1's and tend to be increasingly pricier ever few years. I think it was $35 four years ago for the Best Electronics model, when I bought one. Below: XG-1 vs Best

image.jpeg.99d93427843644f7c86b0c43dfdd24d7.jpegimage.png.80f60ab363bfe678077eca8cdbcf23c4.png

And I still think he just bought a ton of the commodore guns and sold them as the best gun. If you look around that exact mold and pinout was used for a 3rd party commodore gun back in the day.

COMMODORE 128 COMPUTER (C64) - Marpes Light Gun and Gun Collection games -  Room of Doom

Just sayin'

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Shawn said:

And I still think he just bought a ton of the commodore guns and sold them as the best gun. If you look around that exact mold and pinout was used for a 3rd party commodore gun back in the day.

COMMODORE 128 COMPUTER (C64) - Marpes Light Gun and Gun Collection games -  Room of Doom

Just sayin'

Looks right. He did something similar with the Best Trackball, using a PC trackball.

3 hours ago, Shawn said:

Just sayin'

*Sheesh* If this is true, I would have rather had the original box, instead of that government issued Video Light Gun box.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, electronicsibley said:

Has anyone ever tried to modify the Atari XG-1 to improve its accuracy? Assuming the gun is the issue, I wonder a relatively easy fix could be implemented. 

The game code itself is sloppy from what I've been told so the most fantastic lightgun going will still be wishy-washy.

On 11/14/2020 at 3:27 PM, Shawn said:

Just sayin'

Agreed.  The item is just showing the other side under brighter lighting in the picture below.

Best Electronics is actually selling that Commodore light gun for $59.95 and that's without shipping. 

It has gone up considerably...

image.png.083f32d804e18cccd164dd6f22e673c6.png

7 hours ago, Trebor said:

Best Electronics is actually selling that Commodore light gun for $59.95 and that's without shipping. 

It has gone up considerably...

Yikes! That's a bit much. I'd prefer to roll the dice on an untested official XG-1 for considerably less - if I was in the market for one, of course. My XG-1 seems to work fine (at reasonably close range). 

17 minutes ago, sixersfan105 said:

Yikes! That's a bit much. I'd prefer to roll the dice on an untested official XG-1 for considerably less - if I was in the market for one, of course. My XG-1 seems to work fine (at reasonably close range). 

Yeah, they all work well within 12 inches of the screen.  For the price listed now for Best's version of the gun, I would go with the Sega and build the converter adapter.   It looks nice, and it's black.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Shawn said:

The game code itself is sloppy from what I've been told so the most fantastic lightgun going will still be wishy-washy.

Somehow that’s more reassuring than Atari releasing botched hardware, but not by much. 

12 hours ago, SmittyB said:

The lightgun code for Crossbow is only able to poll the gun 15 times a line with the leftmost value being 6 and then incrementing at 11 pixels a time. Ideally a game would count the hit as being anything in those 11 pixels, but I doubt that's what they do.

Sounds like at least a few games in the 7800 light-gun collection are ripe for hacking to (at least) correct for accuracy. 

4 hours ago, electronicsibley said:

Somehow that’s more reassuring than Atari releasing botched hardware, but not by much. 

Sounds like at least a few games in the 7800 light-gun collection are ripe for hacking to (at least) correct for accuracy. 

The Wikipedia article provides the following, although only gives the "Atari 400/800 Hardware Technical Reference" as a source for the first sentence. The nature of this hard-coded value is not explained or referenced and neither is why it wouldn't vary due to calibration drift.

"The Atari 400/800 Hardware Technical Reference recommends a "calibration procedure" each time the light pen is used, so that the software can compensate for this offset. A calibration procedure would improve the accuracy of the light gun. But both Bug Hunt and Barnyard Blaster for the XEGS both have "hard-coded" values, different ones in fact. While Bug Hunt appears to shoot slightly to the left, Barnyard Blaster seems to shoot slightly to the right. The Y readings for the gun are more predictable, equal to half the number of the currently displayed scan line."

• Like 2