IGNORED

MSX/Coleco Sprite & Tile Set Editor

Tony Cruise

2 hours ago, youki said:

I did some test.

The drawing speed now is ok!  Thanks.

• but i still notice that the color change when you pass on another color.  See attached screenshot of the sprite editor.  When i draw a line left to right and go other the black square in the middle, i expect that the part i have yellowed stay black and not switch the pixel to white.

• Then i got exception on the screen editor.  If you start to draw something , keep the button down and exit the drawing zone you have an exception.

System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
   at MSXSpriteEditor.EditScreen.pbScreen_MouseDown(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e) in C:\Users\tcrui\source\repos\MSX\MSXSpriteEditor\EditScreen.cs:line 69
   at MSXSpriteEditor.EditScreen.pbScreen_MouseMove(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e) in C:\Users\tcrui\source\repos\MSX\MSXSpriteEditor\EditScreen.cs:line 132
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnMouseMove(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseMove(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

• in import char set from clipboard, i got also an exception when i clique "import"

System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
   at MSXSpriteEditor.ImportCharsetFromClipboard.bImport_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Users\tcrui\source\repos\MSX\MSXSpriteEditor\ImportCharsetFromClipboard.cs:line 139
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

msxpainterror.PNG

msxgfxeditor2.PNG

sprite_editor.PNG

Yep the mouse exiting the draw area while the button was held down sounds like the one I mentioned.  I'll put some more exception handling in the import bit.

So once you click and hold the button, keep always setting the foreground colour and don't turn any existing ones off?  I might have to make it not invert and you just use left button for foreground and right button for background, I'll experiment and see.

Thanks for the testing.

Devastating bugs in the character editor window.

1928991747_Screenshot(23).thumb.png.55206f296d532d065aa5db2e847c33d5.png

Everything works to my goofing around however...

After copy and paste say 000 to 001 or any you no longer have independent colors.

If you change a color on 000 it will also change the same bit on 001, 002 whichever you pasted too.

Also, get from table ceases to clear out the color bit if the table is blank after the paste routine.

Meaning if the table is blank with the black and clear it does not copy that to the color table.

Another weird bug is the Clipboard Preview grabbed part of my screen.

This was a surprise because it showed an open folder for a top secret project I am working on.

The screen grab was before and not a result of this screen grab to show you.

This happened after the paste then click on get from table.

A new odd thing is after I completely close the program and now when I start your editor the picture directly below is a permanent thing with part of a screen grab of my desktop.

Even after deleting the cruise research directory to reset, it is now a permanent fixture.

I take it this is grabbing part of my previous screen capture in your import buffer of some sort.

But now I can't get rid of the thing.

17831318_Screenshot(25).thumb.png.5890db63e3ebf820e01291ab2a9a4a8e.png

New CTRL+N does not always clear the color bits.858800871_Screenshot(24).thumb.png.31fbda28ef194859d3029028d2a405f7.png

Edited by Itchy Scratchy

As a follow up that definitely was a part of my clip board.

Apparently your routine is very liberal that it will take anything whatsoever from the clipboard.

It cleared up I suspect when Win 10 refreshed the system.

As far as your program goes.
I do not know if it would help to clean the clipboard or Sprite Editor buffers at start up.

My apologies if you've already fixed this Tony, but it seems as though when saving a two color sprite, in some cases the RLE encoding is leaving off the terminator signature, 0xFF, which raises all kinds of merry hell when rle2vram is called ?  Other than that though, fantastic tool!  Without it creating multi-color sprites is the definition of tedious and the animation tester is brilliant. 

Edited by AnalogKid

16 hours ago, youki said:

thanks tony, i have quickly tested, the exceptions are no more here!

But the behavior of the sprite editor did not change.

what i would like , is simply when i start to draw with one color , the color do not change until i release the mouse button.:)

Ah I only changed the screen pixel editor last time, I have changed the sprite editor to be the same, left draw, right erase.

18 hours ago, AnalogKid said:

My apologies if you've already fixed this Tony, but it seems as though when saving a two color sprite, in some cases the RLE encoding is leaving off the terminator signature, 0xFF, which raises all kinds of merry hell when rle2vram is called ?  Other than that though, fantastic tool!  Without it creating multi-color sprites is the definition of tedious and the animation tester is brilliant. 

And yeah, it was outputting two zeros at the end of the RLE data, have changed it to output 0xff,0x00 (just in case some routines are fussy about byte pairs).

So version 1.0.7659.41387 has been uploaded :) 

another thing,  not a bug, but something i do not understand.

How in the pattern editor , you can control where you send or get from table?  

For instant , in the screenshot below ,  i want   1 2 3 4  be transfered to 000 001 002 003  .   I did not find how you control the pattern number in the yellowed area. :(

Something i miss in the concept here.

pattenreditor.PNG

This one is nitpicking.

You click on File->Load

Then double click on the file to open it.

It draws on the sprite because the open file box is directly over the sprite grid.

It's not about the positioning of the open dialog box but more because it starts to draw on the second click of the mouse while opening the file.

I know, I know...Like I said it is nitpicking and could easily be remedied just by clicking on open instead of the double click but I thought I would mention it because that is a feature of the windows environment since the GUI came to fruition.

This editor is a beautiful piece of software that is much needed and I hope you continue making it even more awesome over the coming months.

I will do my part by continuing to purchasing your wares including any new chapters of your book series.

On 12/21/2020 at 10:14 PM, youki said:

Thanks a lot!...   It is good for the sprite editor!

But i noticed a little bug...  you can never erase the last pixel you have drawn. :) (whatever the position of that pixel)

lastpixel.PNG

Version 1.0.7662.26356 fixes this - good pickup thank you.

On 12/22/2020 at 1:01 AM, Itchy Scratchy said:

This one is nitpicking.

You click on File->Load

Then double click on the file to open it.

It draws on the sprite because the open file box is directly over the sprite grid.

It's not about the positioning of the open dialog box but more because it starts to draw on the second click of the mouse while opening the file.

I know, I know...Like I said it is nitpicking and could easily be remedied just by clicking on open instead of the double click but I thought I would mention it because that is a feature of the windows environment since the GUI came to fruition.

This editor is a beautiful piece of software that is much needed and I hope you continue making it even more awesome over the coming months.

I will do my part by continuing to purchasing your wares including any new chapters of your book series.

Sorry haven't figured out a way to stop this one for the moment.

On 12/21/2020 at 10:29 PM, youki said:

another thing,  not a bug, but something i do not understand.

How in the pattern editor , you can control where you send or get from table?  

For instant , in the screenshot below ,  i want   1 2 3 4  be transfered to 000 001 002 003  .   I did not find how you control the pattern number in the yellowed area. :(

Something i miss in the concept here.

pattenreditor.PNG

I do find issue with how this works myself :) 

But what you need to do is click on the first select box (your area in yellow), then select four tiles that are not the current ones and then select the ones you want.  It is not picking up clicking the same tile for the first pattern selected and moving the cursor to the next tile.

Or you can click on each of the selection boxes and then click on the tile you want there.

I need to think of a better way of doing this.

7 hours ago, Tony Cruise said:

I do find issue with how this works myself :) 

But what you need to do is click on the first select box (your area in yellow), then select four tiles that are not the current ones and then select the ones you want.  It is not picking up clicking the same tile for the first pattern selected and moving the cursor to the next tile.

Or you can click on each of the selection boxes and then click on the tile you want there.

I need to think of a better way of doing this.

thanks you!! it works like that indeed! :)

Never read if this was a feature but tried anyway.

Double Clicked on the .SPR file generated by the Sprite Editor.

Windows did not recognize so I assigned it to the Sprite Editor EXE.

Sprite Editor booted as normal but the pattern was not loaded.

So, could be a new feature to create immediate access to your work.

Just another part of a wish list.

It did run another instance of the editor if one was already running.

Edited by Itchy Scratchy

i found a little bug in the way you save sprite pattern to C.

The Comma is missing at the end of the line.

and curiously i have a syntax error also when i compile on the "8"....   i guess it is due to leading 0.

If i change the generated code by that one it works

const byte SPRITE_1[] = {
 8,48,152,248,8,140,204,122};

if you correct that, may ask to generate Hexadecimal instead of decimal?

To have something like :  

0x00,0x00,0x32,0x0D,...
};

If you do the same thing for Char Pattern , please check :)  I did not try yet. 

Thanks!

c_error.PNG

On 12/25/2020 at 8:27 AM, youki said:

i found a little bug in the way you save sprite pattern to C.

The Comma is missing at the end of the line.

and curiously i have a syntax error also when i compile on the "8"....   i guess it is due to leading 0.

If i change the generated code by that one it works

8,48,152,248,8,140,204,122};

if you correct that, may ask to generate Hexadecimal instead of decimal?

To have something like :  

0x00,0x00,0x32,0x0D,...
};

If you do the same thing for Char Pattern , please check :)  I did not try yet. 

Thanks!

c_error.PNG

Version 1.0.7666.38689 Released:

- C line endings in export fixed,

- leading zeroes remove from Decimal output mode. 

Note: You can output Hexadecimal instead of Decimal by changing the options.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot Tony!!

I just sent you a little something via Paypal [emoji6] ...  Happy Christmas! [emoji3]

Let me know , if you received it!

Thank you so much, very generous and appreciated. But also thank you for your feedback and assistance with testing.

I am still working out sound output so the new sound effects and music sections will take a bit longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Tony Cruise said:

Version 1.0.7666.38689 released.

- Fixed crash on Full Screen Editor when you move the cursor around quickly.

- Added buttons to move Screen layouts Up, Down, Left and Right (needed it when I was working on Kangaroo :)).

More changes soon!

So you can move screen layouts up and down.

I will check this out but how about being able to create screens larger than 756 tiles.

That way you can display your Kangaroo map all at one time.

I am thinking how Haunted House moves or maybe that Amiga Pinball game.  Pinball Fantasies?

Edited by Itchy Scratchy

2 hours ago, Itchy Scratchy said:

So you can move screen layouts up and down.

I will check this out but how about being able to create screens larger than 756 tiles.

That way you can display your Kangaroo map all at one time.

I am thinking how Haunted House moves or maybe that Amiga Pinball game.  Pinball Fantasies?

More so you can adjust the screen as you design it i.e. you start designing and run out of room, and want to (in my case) move the screen down (loosing the bottom row), so you can fit more at the top.

I will add the ability to select an area and move it around in the future, just need to work out how to do that in a way that will be easy to use.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2021 at 2:51 PM, Itchy Scratchy said:

Just picked up the new version.

Where can I find the buttons or do they automatically pop up.

Sorry the version must not have uploaded properly, version is now: 1.0.7675.39462, try now you should see these buttons on the Screen Layouts tab:

image.png.3b9367da3feeebc08e8d460bf2d78012.png