IGNORED

MSX/Coleco Sprite & Tile Set Editor

Tony Cruise

Nice. I like that i can import my older coleco graphic data files and export tiles uncompressed if I wish.

I got the clipboard import to work but

I couldn't get the image import to open a windows file browser nothing happens when I click the 'import file' the new window pops up to select file. WHne I click select file nothing happens. If I paste the absolute address of the file it gives me a fail warning.

Should it be a png, 256x192 16 colour file?

image.thumb.png.5705cf310fa8f07f54992401bf856db3.png

when i hit select file nothing happens or pops up.

I know this is premature....That's what she said....

But is there any plans to set the screen mode to 40 column mode.

It would be interesting to see how far one could go with the other modes.

I honestly understand that this would be going way off the reservation but I thought I would at least bring up the subject.

If you did that then there would be the multicolor mode ect....

7 hours ago, digress said:

Nice. I like that i can import my older coleco graphic data files and export tiles uncompressed if I wish.

I got the clipboard import to work but

I couldn't get the image import to open a windows file browser nothing happens when I click the 'import file' the new window pops up to select file. WHne I click select file nothing happens. If I paste the absolute address of the file it gives me a fail warning.

Should it be a png, 256x192 16 colour file?

image.thumb.png.5705cf310fa8f07f54992401bf856db3.png

when i hit select file nothing happens or pops up.

Yeah my bad, I don't usually leave a button in that doesn't work, but I forgot that I hadn't put any code behind that button yet.  Won't take long, should be in the next update :)

For best results, it should be 256x192 (or smaller) and already reduced to 16 colours.  Even better if you have already mapped the colours to the TMS palette.  But it will try and do a closest match process.

4 hours ago, Itchy Scratchy said:

I know this is premature....That's what she said....

But is there any plans to set the screen mode to 40 column mode.

It would be interesting to see how far one could go with the other modes.

I honestly understand that this would be going way off the reservation but I thought I would at least bring up the subject.

If you did that then there would be the multicolor mode ect....

Yeah probably don't have any plans for mode 0, as it only supports 6x8 tiles, no sprites and single colour for the whole screen.  Probably won't do multi-colour as it doesn't have tiles.  But a screen drawing tool for multi-colour could be something for the future.

• 1 year later...

I have uploaded a new version of my MSX/Coleco Sprite and Tile Editor: Version 1.0.8115.34244

Small update, you can now move tile patterns around in the set of 256 tile patterns using the directional buttons below the Tile Set.

image.png.540ee36b538826404ab3656861698c91.png

Moving a tile, swaps it with the tile in the direction you press.

Suggested by long term friend and fellow home brewer Claus Baekkel

Download the latest version here: https://www.electricadventures.net/Pages/Category/24

• Like 2

thanks Tony!

Could you make a quick modification in your tool for me?  I would really like to be able to choose the background color of the sprite editor grid.

Color of this grid

image.png.3ad0cb48ffd0260d7f3eabaced734ef7.png

Or if it is more easy for you , to be able to choose the windows background color for the entire tool. 

It will be very better to see how a sprite looks on different background colors.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, youki said:

thanks Tony!

Could you make a quick modification in your tool for me?  I would really like to be able to choose the background color of the sprite editor grid.

Color of this grid

image.png.3ad0cb48ffd0260d7f3eabaced734ef7.png

Or if it is more easy for you , to be able to choose the windows background color for the entire tool. 

It will be very better to see how a sprite looks on different background colors.

Your wish is my command :) Version 1.0.8116.39475 uploaded.

image.thumb.png.4939c6bca589d7eb49663d6637e41f1f.png

It saves the selected background colour with the file.

in fact, I would have another wish ,... as the first one worked... may be i have 3 wishes...it would be coherent as you are a Genius ?

Would it be possible, to have the possibility to do  Triple and quadruple sprites?   For now you tool is limited to 2 . 

• 5 months later...

I have uploaded a new version of my Sprite and Tile Editor: Version 1.0.8115.34244

I have made the following changes:

• You can now select a background colour that is used for all sprites, tiles and screen layouts.  The colour you select is saved with your file.
  • I have adjusted the output ASM code so that is works with the Glass Assembler (shouldn't effect any of the existing ones but let me know if it does).

Some screen shots:

image.thumb.jpeg.e0de3502b0765a1867c9154df4d5844d.jpeg image.thumb.jpeg.5dd09d33131087c19035a1ae0432fbc3.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f07ac15385e3149098a24cbacd8d4dd3.jpeg image.thumb.jpeg.fb82de75a8a98581ae9ed55ba626bb9e.jpeg

Extra points if you guess my next game (after Kangaroo) ;)

Edited by Tony Cruise
  • Like 2

Space Dungeon.
Would love to see the setup and code to plot a line from one end of the screen to the other in several directions.

I would suspect give each of the tiles 0-768 a separate tile number such as 0 is 0 all the way up to 768 so there are no duplicates.

Now if all the tile spaces are used you would be limited to the 4 sprites, 8 per line using your order routine.

But looking at your other screen shot I would say that using a portion of the screen you are left with 12 per row? at 24 rows fives you 288 pattern slots.

An organizational nightmare to be.

I like what you did with the color picker stays put but...........the "choose paste options" shoots across the screen

and the color picker loses it's place when you close the program.  It's not permanent like the main screen.

looooove youuuuuuuuuu

Edited by Captain Cozmos

10 hours ago, Captain Cozmos said:

Space Dungeon.
Would love to see the setup and code to plot a line from one end of the screen to the other in several directions.

I would suspect give each of the tiles 0-768 a separate tile number such as 0 is 0 all the way up to 768 so there are no duplicates.

Now if all the tile spaces are used you would be limited to the 4 sprites, 8 per line using your order routine.

But looking at your other screen shot I would say that using a portion of the screen you are left with 12 per row? at 24 rows fives you 288 pattern slots.

An organizational nightmare to be.

I like what you did with the color picker stays put but...........the "choose paste options" shoots across the screen

and the color picker loses it's place when you close the program.  It's not permanent like the main screen.

looooove youuuuuuuuuu

Player can only shoot up/down/left/right and the four straight diagonals, so laser can be implemented using 4 tile patterns.

I'll have a look at the other window placements in the Editor in my next session.

If I were compelled to ask in your upcoming updated editor.

The reorganizing the tiles (swap tile) is one of the most useful tools when optimizing your work.
Is it possible that when you move the tile from, as an example, position 50 to position 10.  Can you also update the screen layout corresponding tile?
Or have a switch to on and off the function.

At present every time you move a tile for whatever reason you end up having to redraw every tile that has moved.
With just a few tiles that is not such a problem but when you get into heavy graphics like Dino Eggs it's overwhelming.

I can see why they use teams to divide up each section.
A graphics artist, a sound guy, a programmer, level design.

I'm doing all of this old school Atari where one guy did the entire project.
I am now up to 60 sprite patterns and 130 tiles and expect more.
Not as fun as I thought it would be.

Edited by Captain Cozmos