IGNORED

Ultimate Atari 7800 mod list?

MrZarniwoop

You've listed my point exactly with some of the ones you've listed. Piftall 2 having the melody on one channel and the beats on the other. There isn't any blending of some of the sound to actually sound natural and that is why I find it more distracting in the case of older Atari games vs more modern systems.

Commando on the 7800 is one of the worst offenders of this as examples I've heard had the drums and sound effects randomly playing from one channel vs the other and hearing an enemy shot from the left that actually shot at me from the right gets my OCD in a fit making me think my channels are swapped when they aren't. 

I'll talk more about this in PM as this isn't what this thread is about.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Commando on the 7800 is one of the worst offenders of this as examples I've heard had the drums and sound effects randomly playing from one channel vs the other and hearing an enemy shot from the left that actually shot at me from the right gets my OCD in a fit making me think my channels are swapped when they aren't. 

Yeah, this is sounding pretty complex. I think playing Commando like that would drive anyone crazy, more reason that if there was a well-balanced stereo mod, it’d need a way to be turned off most of the time.

17 minutes ago, MrZarniwoop said:

Yeah, this is sounding pretty complex. I think playing Commando like that would drive anyone crazy, more reason that if there was a well-balanced stereo mod, it’d need a way to be turned off most of the time.

Wow guys... turn your RF CRT set to Mono the way they intended and poof every problem is magically solved!! 

?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2020 at 9:04 AM, MrZarniwoop said:

I'm busy re-living my childhood while dreading this coming winter, and wanted to refurbish an "ultimate" Atari 7800.

Is this a complete list of the recommended replacements and mods?

Am I missing anything?

On 11/11/2020 at 11:07 AM, -^CrossBow^- said:

I specifically use the Traco 2-2450 model. It is a drop in replacement 2A output switching regulator with built in filtering to help with noise and seem to have a longer warranty than most of these do. 

Thanks for listing these! I just got an NOS 7800 and I'm hoping to have a qualified tech install some of these upgrades, but I have to supply the parts to him. This list has gone a long way to hopefully getting the best out of my new toy!

I already have the UAV kit, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of a reliable place in Canada (preferably even Toronto, more specifically) that I can order these parts from. It's great that Console5 identifies these parts and offers the capacitor set as a kit, but as an electronics ignoramus I find the selection on most sites (Digi-Key and Mouser, for example) totally overwhelming. The only problem with ordering from Console5 is the shipping.

Does anyone have an opinion? Any help is appreciated. I was hoping to have these installed before the 25th so the 7800 would be ready to go right out of the box on Christmas morning, but I think I may have dragged my feet too long for that to happen. Oh well.

1 minute ago, MrZarniwoop said:

A minor note, I’ve learned that a 3mm LED is too small, get a 5mm one. I’ll update the first post with a better link.

Also, sanding down the top of the LED gave a better look with a better-than-stock glow rather than a laser-like shine onto the ceiling.

I wasn't planning on replacing the LED, actually. Is it prone to burning out?

If the leads are extended on the 3mm, then that will actually fit perfectly in the opening of the top of the case. But yeah by the leads aren't long enough on their own to use a 3mm. Easy enough to extend them, add some shrink to insulate them. But then it would be kinda "Hangin in the breeze" at the top above the LED holder since it wouldn't sit inside that. Then again, if you didn't need a direct light and just wanted an ambient glow from the opening, you could still use a 3mm on its own.

50 minutes ago, Gamma Goochee said:

Sounds interesting. Is it a pause button mounted on the joystick?

More or less. It is using an NES style or NES converted controller so that one of both of the center buttons actually can be used to pause the 7800 when you want. I've tested it working and in my case I used a Retroboyz controller to have one of the center buttons activate the pause on the 7800 console. I was mainly testing it during some of my speed runs for knight guy to quickly pause when I got to the end of the demo levels at the time as an example.

1 minute ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

More or less. It is using an NES style or NES converted controller so that one of both of the center buttons actually can be used to pause the 7800 when you want. I've tested it working and in my case I used a Retroboyz controller to have one of the center buttons activate the pause on the 7800 console. I was mainly testing it during some of my speed runs for knight guy to quickly pause when I got to the end of the demo levels at the time as an example.

Aw, rats! I just ordered some controllers from him! I wish I'd known that was possible -- I would have had him do the mod for me. Oh well, I suppose I mustn't make things TOO easy for myself or I'll start to get soft. Wait......too late!

No..no..he doesn't mod the controllers and doesn't offer that. But he does make the controllers in such a way that it is possible to do with a little work. There is an Etsy dealer that also makes drop in controller PCBs with this already designed and ready for the SMS but it could be done on their 7800 PCBs as well easily.

7 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

No..no..he doesn't mod the controllers and doesn't offer that. But he does make the controllers in such a way that it is possible to do with a little work. There is an Etsy dealer that also makes drop in controller PCBs with this already designed and ready for the SMS but it could be done on their 7800 PCBs as well easily.

Ok well, opportunity not missed then, I guess! I might look into this mod down the road, once I settle in with the console. Thanks!

33 minutes ago, 2600 Forever said:

I added a fan to one, about a decade ago (Florida hot weather).  Pulled from one of those old external CD-ROM enclosures.

Replace the original 7805 with a DC-DC regulator as mentioned in the list and the only heat you will have inside the console is that given off by the larger IC chips. Certainly not enough to warrant the need for a fan.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Replace the original 7805 with a DC-DC regulator as mentioned in the list and the only heat you will have inside the console is that given off by the larger IC chips. Certainly not enough to warrant the need for a fan.

Are you referring to the Traco 2-2450? I did order that part on your recommendation.