IGNORED

R-Type and its many ports

7800Knight

The very first time I ever played R-Type was actually on the Master System. I never saw it in my local arcades. Come to think of it I have never played the arcade version outside of MAME.

When I purchased it for the SMS I didn't really look into if it were a great game or not. I think that went for most SMS games I had purchased. I mean, games always came out in a trickle so I just bought any new game for the system that I encountered at the store ;) But,  I also had confidence in Sega that a game would be a good game...and mostly (at least for the SMS) that was right. Rarely did I purchase an SMS game that I did not enjoy.

I really loved R-Type for the SMS. I recall calling 800-USA-SEGA for support with Phantasy Star when I got stuck and after the rep helped me with that he asked me what other SMS games I owned. I told him I owned R-Type and he said "Hey, do you want me to send you a printout of secrets for the game?" Hell yeah I said. And, he did. It was like two pages of secrets for the game. I suspect they are all posted online now, but back in those days that was pure gold.

That said, while other versions are better (I still hold the TG16 version to be the best/closest to the arcade) I will never forget the fun I had with the SMS version and the great customer experience with the Sega folks. The SMS port may not be the best of the best, but it certainly holds up and is a great port to an 8-bit console.

• Like 1

So I'm curious are we ignoring the handheld releases?  I mean I know they're somewhat compromised by the lower resolution and square LCDs that annoyingly remove some horizontal grace on incoming barricades, bullets, and enemies.  I had the GBC game back in the day, and I recall it against the TG and SMS versions being as hard, if not worse due to the less view space.  It didn't feel lacking though, maybe harder, not really sure.

• Like 2

My little hometown arcade got a R-type when it was newly released. I was a decent player sans stage 7; stage 4 can be a bitch if you don't have the enemy "olive" patterns memorized. My buddy Chad was the better player of the two and used to finish it regularly. When our local Aladdin's Castle got theirs - we used to strut our stuff to other players. One of my friends still has the arcade cabinet I used to play bitd.

I picked up the Master System version which I think came out a year later at Montgomery Wards. I still recall the hype for the secret stage! Alas, no secret stage in the arcade version.

That same arcade got an R-type 2 machine. I actually like this one as much as the first. The one BIG downside to the sequel was the lack of stages compared to the first, it does make up for it in the audio department.

I never saw R-type Leo in the arcades - pretty rare kit game like the sequel. I did play when MAME eventually and didn't really care for it. My understanding was the development team for the first two had no part in the third. Which it shows... doesn't really fell like a R-type game.

I want to give a shout out to the R-type III on the SNES. A game to this day I woefully still haven't beat.

• Like 2

I've been playing R-TYPE since 1987 when I saw it at a local bowling alley. Just an amazing game.

These days I have the ports made for the TG-16, Playstation (R-TYPES), R-TYPE Dimensions for Xbox 360 and the Nintendo Switch, and the DotEmu versions for iOS and Android. I also have the Sega Master System version digitally for the now defunct Wii Virtual Console.

I still haven't beaten it. I really should do a real attempt at that.