IGNORED

Ebay "you will no longer receive payments to your PayPal account"???

Blazing Lazers

16 hours ago, batari said:

As I understand it, the $600 limit was not focused on online sales like the previous 20k/200 transactions limit was.

As an aside to this: the $600 limit strikes me as not at all arbitrary and very much deliberate in how it was arrived at.

With various pushes for a Federally-mandated $15/hour minimum wage, anyone who works a full 40-hour week while earning minimum wage will be earning $600 per week (pre-tax), or $1200 per pay period.  This means that every time a paycheque is direct deposited, the IRS is notified.

Working part-time at minimum wage means a cap of 40 taxed hours in a pay period if you don't want the IRS nosing around in your accounts.

16 hours ago, batari said:

It was intended to target gig workers as many don't pay any taxes.

How are they not paying taxes?  Having done gig work from the end of 2019 throughout last year and into the start of Q2 2021 while I went to school and established my business, every single gig company that I worked for 1099ed me.  How someone could escape paying taxes (which is the earner's responsibility, not the employer's) without attracting IRS interest and attendant penalties doesn't make sense.

On 6/9/2021 at 10:07 AM, glazball said:

One thing I keep seeing mentioned is that sellers no longer have "immediate access" to money from a sale.  Surely, we've all had to deal with at least 1 shady/scammy/shitty seller on eBay over the years.  I think these changes (re: linked bank account) are going in the wrong direction, but to play devil's advocate:  Is it really that big of a problem that you don't get money immediately?  In the interest of protecting buyers from scammers and flaky sellers, surely it's ok if eBay holds the seller's money for a short time to make sure the transaction went as expected?  The only other solution I can think of is that eBay would require all sellers to put up some kind of deposit to sell there, which seems even worse.

If you're broke and want to sell something on ebay to get a few bucks like I was when I was 24 and between jobs, you need the money first or you don't have the money to ship the item.

19 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

How are they not paying taxes?  Having done gig work from the end of 2019 throughout last year and into the start of Q2 2021 while I went to school and established my business, every single gig company that I worked for 1099ed me.  How someone could escape paying taxes (which is the earner's responsibility, not the employer's) without attracting IRS interest and attendant penalties doesn't make sense.

This new law is based on similar laws in some states that have been in place for years. I don't know how many individual states began enacting the $600 limit but I understand that several already do. From what I understand, some gig companies then chose to also enact a $600 limit (or $0 limit, even) company-wide and not just in individual states that require it.

So it's possible that there are not many gig companies left who don't 1099 everyone, and the new law is just following older state laws. The fact that it's been in place for years in some states tells me it is unlikely to get repealed (100%. There may end up being exceptions to the law, though, and it would be nice if online sales were one of those things, but we will see.)

• Like 1