Jump to content
Blazing Lazers

Ebay "you will no longer receive payments to your PayPal account"???

Recommended Posts

On 5/8/2021 at 9:45 PM, Tanooki said:

They pulled that shit on me finally too, have until the 21st.

 

I need to figure out what to do kind of.  I mean, I flatly outright refuse to give those thieves my actual bank account information.  I'm going to have to setup one of those accounts with an online bank, put a few hundred in there from PP and just let that be I guess.  That way if they decide to try and screw me, they won't have much to pull from as I'll keep that account nice and low, keep the funds where they exist now as an added shield against scammers.

 

I've never actually have had to give ebay any real good personal info like SSN, bank access, etc.  They had a credit card I let expire in 2015 I never refreshed, PP really was it.  It sucks, losing some good protection from scumbags because you can get PP to overturn ebays bullshit.

 

Is it that hard to setup a bank routing etc thing with ebay or just follow the idiot prompts type situation?

Yeah, I went through the same.  Once I had an account setup, it was just pretty much 'follow the idiot prompts'.  I refused to use the login to my bank provided by eBay (although that probably is the easiest and fasted way), so opted to enter data manually.  They claimed they couldn't verify the account, so I had to wait a few days as they deposited two tiny amounts in the account and I had to tell them the exact amount.  Now all is good...

 

I opted for Discover's free online checking/debit account.  I was going to try one of those 'online only' banks that you've never heard of unless you are looking for an online only bank...  :) But even though there were several that had good options, they almost all got horrible reviews when it came to costumer service.  I guess they just pay a call center to handle it, so you get people that don't really know anything about banking or have any real access to the account.  So I opted for the free online account, but offered by a more established banking institution...  First National of Omaha was another one I saw that had a free checking account...  Maybe they all do now.

 

Haven't actually re-started selling yet, so have to wait and see how it all works and how long it takes to get paid...  That part really sucks...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in a process of before ebay cuts me off now.  I was able to get an online bank account setup.  The website is being whorish, but I reversed it through PP trying to link it to them instead, so now I'm waiting for those 2 deposits.  Once that's solidified, then I intend to cut off the normal bank I had to set it up with.  From there I'll flush like a few hundred bucks from PP into the online bank for ebay stuff, and take it from there.  Hopefully it all works out, have a week left about to deal with it.  The one I brought up, they're a work at home force it appears and they're US based, no call center, no overseas english as a second language.  Guy walked me through a good bit and explained it all nearly for an hour and he's from nashville so only a few hours away.

 

I have stuff on ebay now, so once that cuts off, not sure what happens if I don't make the period though I should.  They claim any existing will drop PP from the listing while live and cut over to the other.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/12/2021 at 9:48 PM, Tanooki said:

I'm in a process of before ebay cuts me off now.  I was able to get an online bank account setup.  The website is being whorish, but I reversed it through PP trying to link it to them instead, so now I'm waiting for those 2 deposits.  Once that's solidified, then I intend to cut off the normal bank I had to set it up with.  From there I'll flush like a few hundred bucks from PP into the online bank for ebay stuff, and take it from there.  Hopefully it all works out, have a week left about to deal with it.  The one I brought up, they're a work at home force it appears and they're US based, no call center, no overseas english as a second language.  Guy walked me through a good bit and explained it all nearly for an hour and he's from nashville so only a few hours away.

 

I have stuff on ebay now, so once that cuts off, not sure what happens if I don't make the period though I should.  They claim any existing will drop PP from the listing while live and cut over to the other.

Maybe I missed it, but who did you go with for the online account?  That actually sounds like one of the ones I was reading about.  Super friendly and helpful when trying to get you set up, but if there's actually a problem with your account the quality of service goes down quickly...

Check Yelp reviews, BBB, etc...  A lot of these you don't realize are problematic until you actually have a problem, which might be months or years after you sign up...

 

I had listings started that were going to end after my cut off date.  Everything went smoothly except for one auction that the buyer claimed eBay wouldn't process the payment for.  Turns out he was trying to use a credit card to pay, and since I didn't have the new eBay system setup, it was denying the payment.  Fortunately he just opted to pay with PayPal.

But I guess that's the issue, people might try to pay with a non-PayPal payment, and if you don't have eBay's new system setup they won't be able to pay you.  I've also heard that eBay will accept the money, tell you to ship, then tell you they can't release the money to you until you set up Managed Payments.

 

It's definitely risky to let the time period pass with auctions still live, especially if you have no intention of signing up for Managed Payments.

Edited by Rik1138
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Rik1138Aspiration summit account -- FDIC backed online/atm only bank, and they seem to have pretty decent reviews too, not like anyone really glows overall about banks these days or much of anything online.

I've got the account setup, but I'm now trying to get it linked to my paypal account as I don't want my actual bank tied to that at all.  The account is active, so I do have the routing/acct number so when I switch over ebay shortly I'll give them that to use, and strip anything else.  I'll probably if it doesn't resolve itself have to call them again, but they're friendly, domestic, and helpful so I don't mind if it resolves it.  I want to be able to cleanly transfer funds between it and PP, keeping my paycheck bank out of the loop entirely.

 

I don't like any of this, and it's a fix at least.  With the tax scam settling in next year, if some clean easy way to manage that crap doesn't roll out by the end of the year I won't be accepting payments digitally anymore online, money orders and cash only, which for most, is unacceptable so whatever...screw it, that's it and that's final if it means just online trades and facebook locally with cash so be it.  I don't need ebay, it's a convenience they're making inconvenient and the gov't greed is tipping it not just there but into intolerable.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Supposedly, my drop-dead date is the 28th.  At the point eBay starts sending me nasty-grams about my listings, I will just take them all down.  eBay has screwed me on "Fast and Free," screwed me on a couple of abusive buyers, screwed me handling a rip-off seller, among other trespasses... it seems eBay does not have its shit together in the protection arena and I cannot believe it will have its shit together with direct access to my bank account.

 

Seriously, though, eBay will not miss me and my minuscule sales, anyway.  I am just one of hundreds of thousands, so why should it care?  Way back when before PayPal integration, eBay wanted my credit card or bank account number I told it to piss off and my account was suspended for non-compliance.  It did so with gusto then and I suspect the same now.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tomorrow is my PP termination date, just got my debit card in the mail for that account I setup, so between that and the usual acct/routing I got ebay-pp-that bank setup, mostly.  PP was interesting, but I figured out since they won't take the bank info I could use the card and just do transfers, one way can be instant (outbound) but inbound can take 2-3 days like stupid ebay processing...whatever, it's still a buffer.  The annoying part now is ebay said I was fine, then an hour later wanted more verification and it's harassing me to do it, but at the same time stuck waiting on them to do a pair of 2 tiny few pennies microtransactions I need to report the values back to verify it.  They're just being trolls.

 

In turn I removed my personal/financial info from ebay entirely except one minimal thing, the debit card to the new account they'll need permission to charge or I can block it.  They're more isolated than they were when I was using paypal...they can go ahead and try something at this rate with their seller hating tactics, I'll just cut em off.

 

I still intend to use PP with ebay, the acct I setup will remain low so they can't go nuts, and I'll just do semi-regular transfers into PP from the online account so they have little room to budge.  Since nothing is linked, but one debit card, I control the flow of cash either direction without them having direct bank access to either (online bank, paypal.)  I'll just use the card as a two way medium so ebay has zero way to touch it directly at all.  They at worst could run a charge on the card, and I'd just call it in, reverse the charge and block them.

 

Their plans have effectively backfired as I've created a second layer of protection from their bullshit I didn't have before.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look like I have nothing to do but sit back.  eBay will take care of everything for me:
 

Update your account details by May 28, 2021, or your ability to revise or relist existing listings, or create new listings will be disabled and your Good ’Til Cancelled listings will be removed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Look like I have nothing to do but sit back.  eBay will take care of everything for me:

 

Yeah you're good.  If you're done with their bs, just let it expire and they'll happily kick you out for not giving them access directly to your finances.

 

That's why I took my time and did some research well in advance for the day they'd pull it on me.  I thought I'd just use what I did as a buffer, but when I realized I could use the 'bank' as the card instead of the routing/account number I had them.  RIght now my PP is 100% protected from their extractions, and the account itself is a phone call or web click away from calling a charge a fraud and having it reversed.  They created a nice buffer from their crap I didn't even have before.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oddly, eBay did not cancel my listings and has even allowed them to renew, unlike what I was told in the warnings.  My ability to create new or edit existing listings has been suspended, however.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My understanding you can do that, but they won't pay you.  They'll hold your money in limbo as part of their terms until you give a proper payout to them to a bank account.  I did find a loophole, you can temporarily tie a bank, then instead remove it in favor of using a debit card tied to said account.  That way they don't have direct access, and as such, if you find someone ever scams you and you refuse to let ebay/them steal from you, you can immediately pull the card and they're stuck.  Sure they'll lock/ban your account from buying/selling until you make good, but that's not the end of the world itself.  Before with paypal it was easier for them to take from you without asking, so they kind of hurt themselves wanting to cut out the middleman.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good advice Tanooki, and people should take it if they are going to use risky ebay and paypal these days. After seeing our non-profit veterans club's paypal frozen over an order for 12 of this and 8 of that which their system flagged as a sports bet (it was motorcycle patches being ordered) I put paypal on a very short leash and it paid off.

3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

My understanding you can do that, but they won't pay you.  They'll hold your money in limbo as part of their terms until you give a proper payout to them to a bank account.  I did find a loophole, you can temporarily tie a bank, then instead remove it in favor of using a debit card tied to said account.  That way they don't have direct access, and as such, if you find someone ever scams you and you refuse to let ebay/them steal from you, you can immediately pull the card and they're stuck.  Sure they'll lock/ban your account from buying/selling until you make good, but that's not the end of the world itself.  Before with paypal it was easier for them to take from you without asking, so they kind of hurt themselves wanting to cut out the middleman.

 

Once upon a time I saw ebay as a national if not global yard sale, and paypal was a reasonable and easy way to pay.

 

Today they are crumbling shells of what they were and the market is ripe for a new player. Both companies are zombies that have killed off most of their U.S. staff. At the moment my personal experiences are:

 

Ebay: Cannot complete checkout 80% of the time, it just spins and fails. My CC company is not getting the request from ebay so the problem is internal to ebay. Hours were wasted talking to "Timothy" from calcutta who has no access to anything but a flowchart of excuses and any attempt to get support beyond that is a fail. No real loss lately as "America's attic" has become China's junk yard. Then there is getting taxed and 1099'd on model airplanes and video games originally sold 30-40 years ago....

 

Paypal: They assisted a scammer and tried to stick me with around $500 so I locked them out of my CC and bank and told them to go pound sand. They are still sending me bills and demand letters that I write NO on and send back. If my credit score slips from 843 to 842 its no impact to me, they aren't getting reimbursed for having Timothy handle their disputes badly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2021 at 5:40 PM, OLD CS1 said:

Supposedly, my drop-dead date is the 28th.  At the point eBay starts sending me nasty-grams about my listings, I will just take them all down.  eBay has screwed me on "Fast and Free," screwed me on a couple of abusive buyers, screwed me handling a rip-off seller, among other trespasses... it seems eBay does not have its shit together in the protection arena and I cannot believe it will have its shit together with direct access to my bank account.

 

Seriously, though, eBay will not miss me and my minuscule sales, anyway.  I am just one of hundreds of thousands, so why should it care?  Way back when before PayPal integration, eBay wanted my credit card or bank account number I told it to piss off and my account was suspended for non-compliance.  It did so with gusto then and I suspect the same now.

Same here. Took down all my listings on the 27th, as ebay forced these changes in Germany as well on May, 28th.

 

What really pissed me off is that now you have to pay about 20 bucks penalty charge if a buyer opens a claim, forwards it to ebay and wins.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2021 at 12:18 PM, Tanooki said:

Maybe when all those americans start losing nearly 14% of their sales to self employment tax

Which is going to be a real problem for people who are self-employed in careers unrelated to eBay but sell things there.  Effectively, it's going to treat eBay sales as personal income for taxation purposes.

 

Despite having three cars to sell over the next three months, this is one of many reasons why I am not putting them on eBay.  Being self-employed in a profession unrelated to online selling means that it's simply not worth it for me, and I object strenuously to an income tax being levied on goods and/or services.

 

I wonder if I can run an auction where only cash, cheques, or bank orders are accepted as payment.  Hmm...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Pipercub said:

Good advice Tanooki, and people should take it if they are going to use risky ebay and paypal these days. After seeing our non-profit veterans club's paypal frozen over an order for 12 of this and 8 of that which their system flagged as a sports bet (it was motorcycle patches being ordered) I put paypal on a very short leash and it paid off.

 

Once upon a time I saw ebay as a national if not global yard sale, and paypal was a reasonable and easy way to pay.

 

Today they are crumbling shells of what they were and the market is ripe for a new player. Both companies are zombies that have killed off most of their U.S. staff. At the moment my personal experiences are:

 

Ebay: Cannot complete checkout 80% of the time, it just spins and fails. My CC company is not getting the request from ebay so the problem is internal to ebay. Hours were wasted talking to "Timothy" from calcutta who has no access to anything but a flowchart of excuses and any attempt to get support beyond that is a fail. No real loss lately as "America's attic" has become China's junk yard. Then there is getting taxed and 1099'd on model airplanes and video games originally sold 30-40 years ago....

 

Paypal: They assisted a scammer and tried to stick me with around $500 so I locked them out of my CC and bank and told them to go pound sand. They are still sending me bills and demand letters that I write NO on and send back. If my credit score slips from 843 to 842 its no impact to me, they aren't getting reimbursed for having Timothy handle their disputes badly.

Ouch over something that petty and they're getting aggressive, that's pathetic.  Timmah from Calcutta is about right, so so tired of that.  I'll put up with them for a short bit if they can figure it out, but once I see it just is a bunch of false sympathy voice tones and run around I demand a domestic team member/supervisor as this issue(whatever it is) needs it, and that has worked out more often than not.  The problem is that was pre virus, now they're harder to get a person, and even worse to get something in authority that's not overseas which really blows.  And it was/is just that, an online garage sale, which they  seem to have long forgotten which sucks.

 

26 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Which is going to be a real problem for people who are self-employed in careers unrelated to eBay but sell things there.  Effectively, it's going to treat eBay sales as personal income for taxation purposes.

 

Despite having three cars to sell over the next three months, this is one of many reasons why I am not putting them on eBay.  Being self-employed in a profession unrelated to online selling means that it's simply not worth it for me, and I object strenuously to an income tax being levied on goods and/or services.

 

I wonder if I can run an auction where only cash, cheques, or bank orders are accepted as payment.  Hmm...

Ugh...yeah and you know that 14% I personally don't see a way I can afford it, at least if I were to persist in trying to find goodies to subsist my personal hobby or to store for when a semi-essential item fails I can't afford to replace which is crap.  Between that 14%, then on top the ebay fees including on shipping, shipping charges too, and if I bought X to make something...you'd need to basically instead of try and double your money, but now TRIPLE it to be worth the effort it's a dead deal.  Sure I could offload what I've had for years, but that's just insulting paying tax in a job, paying tax to BUY said item, and now effectively the RETAIL version of the DEATH TAX taking even more is bullshit.


I do wonder too, they used to back in the pre-PP days allow cash but discouraged it, they did encourage checks and more so bank/money orders.  The thing is, since ebay still processes the purchase, even if they didn't use digital money, they still will rat you over a 1099, so don't bother.  Use forums, reddit, facebook -- mark the stuff as 'unsold' if you have to mark it like on FB and accept money orders, bank checks, whatever...nothing digital.  They can't prove it then.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Ugh...yeah and you know that 14% I personally don't see a way I can afford it, at least if I were to persist in trying to find goodies to subsist my personal hobby or to store for when a semi-essential item fails I can't afford to replace which is crap.  Between that 14%, then on top the ebay fees including on shipping, shipping charges too, and if I bought X to make something...you'd need to basically instead of try and double your money, but now TRIPLE it to be worth the effort it's a dead deal.  Sure I could offload what I've had for years, but that's just insulting paying tax in a job, paying tax to BUY said item, and now effectively the RETAIL version of the DEATH TAX taking even more is bullshit.

Agreed re: the retail version of the death tax; it's really no different to that or estate / inheritance taxes.

 

Something I'm curious about: as someone who is self-employed, are eBay sales that I make subject to double taxation?

 

Let's say that I sell an item on eBay for $100.  $14 in tax goes to the government as self-employment tax.  The remaining $86 is reported, by eBay, straight to the .gov as income either directly or as a yearly statement (1099, W2, etc.).  Am I going to be taxed again on that remaining $86 at the end of the tax year, or is the burden now on me to prove that the sale was previously taxed?  It's exactly the sort of scenario I can see happening.

 

And don't get me started on charging any sort of tax on private transactions involving used goods.  That really pisses me off.

Quote

I do wonder too, they used to back in the pre-PP days allow cash but discouraged it, they did encourage checks and more so bank/money orders.  The thing is, since ebay still processes the purchase, even if they didn't use digital money, they still will rat you over a 1099, so don't bother.  Use forums, reddit, facebook -- mark the stuff as 'unsold' if you have to mark it like on FB and accept money orders, bank checks, whatever...nothing digital.  They can't prove it then.

I would not be surprised if we saw a push to end the use of cash (and related instruments) within the next 20 years.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

And don't get me started on charging any sort of tax on private transactions involving used goods.  That really pisses me off.

I track all my business expenses and income. It's the net that essentially matters.

But yes, for private transactions, this sounds like you've got to track your income, but ignore your expenses.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, 5-11under said:

I track all my business expenses and income. It's the net that essentially matters.

Yep.  I maintain a yearly spreadsheet for company activity where each month gets its own tab for exactly those purposes.  Fortunately, for the sort of work that I do, this is a scale that is about right for the number of activities I need to record.

17 minutes ago, 5-11under said:

But yes, for private transactions, this sounds like you've got to track your income, but ignore your expenses.

What I don't understand is how a private transaction can be considered taxable at all in this scenario.  Sales taxes are only to cover retail sales (with certain exemptions), and placing a self-employment tax on an online transaction both assumes that the seller is self-employed while treating a self-employed person's sale as income despite not necessarily being derived from self-employed activity.

 

This is shady as hell, and one more reason why I am thankful that I no longer work in tech.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

What a mess. This is going to make it a lot harder to find certain items with a bunch of sellers leaving ebay. No wonder prices of games have gone up. There really is less known availability because the sellers are selling privately, like on this forum and others. Or Facebook.

 

Somebody in the community should make a new gamegavel.

Edited by TheGameCollector
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The way I see it is that you take gross revenue and subtract out cost of goods sold as well as other fees like Final value fee etc. and you can deduct other expenses like supplies and mileage and come up with an "income" from your ebay sales. You would pay self employment tax on that income which is 15.3% (unless you exceed the cap for social security) in which case you would only pay 2.9% for medicare as self employment tax.

 

You would also be subjected to both federal and state income tax on that "income" and pay at your marginal tax rate.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

I would not be surprised if we saw a push to end the use of cash (and related instruments) within the next 20 years.

Recent studies indicate doing so would disproportionately affect the lower-income.  There are still a lot of people in our societies who eschew digital currency.  In the United States, depending upon to what survey and counting methodology you subscribe, between 7 and 15 million households who do not have a bank account.

 

13 hours ago, 5-11under said:

But yes, for private transactions, this sounds like you've got to track your income, but ignore your expenses.

Ultimately for non-business sellers (most of us little guys) if you cannot prove the purchase price of an item you sell, you will pay income tax on the sale price, not the difference as gain or loss.

 

3 hours ago, taxman said:

The way I see it is that you take gross revenue and subtract out cost of goods sold as well as other fees like Final value fee etc. and you can deduct other expenses like supplies and mileage and come up with an "income" from your ebay sales. You would pay self employment tax on that income which is 15.3% (unless you exceed the cap for social security) in which case you would only pay 2.9% for medicare as self employment tax.

 

You would also be subjected to both federal and state income tax on that "income" and pay at your marginal tax rate.

This will push a lot of people out of selling. Not everyone selling on eBay or other marketplaces, which also fall under the 1099 reporting requirements, are businesses or operating as businesses.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OLD CS1 said:

Recent studies indicate doing so would disproportionately affect the lower-income.  There are still a lot of people in our societies who eschew digital currency.  In the United States, depending upon to what survey and counting methodology you subscribe, between 7 and 15 million households who do not have a bank account.

I agree with you on the above.  However, I can see a two-pronged approach to this that would make the change possible: one, the creation of a 'Citizen's Bank' through the USPS which zero-rates basic transactions, opening accounts, handling the deposit of welfare and other benefits, etc.; two, removing coined or printed currency from circulation as a measure meant to ostensibly combat inflation, but in reality intended to restrict the supply of minted currency.

 

The first has already happened in a number of countries; the second just needs an excuse to now that we have an electronic infrastructure to replace it with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2021 at 9:22 PM, taxman said:

The way I see it is that you take gross revenue and subtract out cost of goods sold as well as other fees like Final value fee etc. and you can deduct other expenses like supplies and mileage and come up with an "income" from your ebay sales. You would pay self employment tax on that income which is 15.3% (unless you exceed the cap for social security) in which case you would only pay 2.9% for medicare as self employment tax.

 

You would also be subjected to both federal and state income tax on that "income" and pay at your marginal tax rate.

The way I see it is if anyone buys a reticulated frammis in 1984, or 2004, and then sells it to anyone in 2021 that it is 100% out of the arena of government. Sales taxes were already collected at time of sale, the government's already dubious entitlement to a cut of that item is long since passed.

 

I grew up in the world before the internet and can return to offline ways of buying and selling, but what a shame, we created a way of easily connecting buyers and sellers often dealing in antique and harder to find items (a global yard sale if you will) and it gets taxed and regulated into irrelevance. And what wasn't wrecked by the government the companies themselves seem all too willing to drive away the remaining customers. I look forward to the news paypal has gone under and hope that we can unify around a single decentralized alternative.

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pipercub said:

The way I see it is if anyone buys a reticulated frammis in 1984, or 2004, and then sells it to anyone in 2021 that it is 100% out of the arena of government. Sales taxes were already collected at time of sale, the government's already dubious entitlement to a cut of that item is long since passed.

 

I grew up in the world before the internet and can return to offline ways of buying and selling, but what a shame, we created a way of easily connecting buyers and sellers often dealing in antique and harder to find items (a global yard sale if you will) and it gets taxed and regulated into irrelevance. And what wasn't wrecked by the government the companies themselves seem all too willing to drive away the remaining customers. I look forward to the news paypal has gone under and hope that we can unify around a single decentralized alternative.

Same here.  I've used ebay since the company was born in CA out of being called auctionweb, might have signed up just before the switch, and for a very long time I used money orders because you can't trust cash to people in general.  I would use cash on a game forum setup if I knew the individual long enough to risk it, but not large sums ($50+) as again, risk.  The crap they're starting next year in the US is basically applying the DEATH tax to second hand items.  You're taxed on your work to pay for item, then taxed on the item, and now when the item is effectively dead to you(you could sell or fill a landfill with it) they charge you again for someone else to inherit it.  Slimy to the extreme.

 

I was made aware of, but not researched the veracity of it, that I read yesterday ebay is actively harassing the government over trying to get the cheapo 600/yr limit raised because it will harm a LOT of people who aren't actual businesses, and in turn will really screw up their ability to function as maybe they do internal research and see a HUGE loss coming in profits if second hand people drop out and it's just small business owners in the US using it.

 

If something about the cap can be raised, and I feel comfortable saying maybe 10k instead of the current 20k, even 5k maybe fine, I'd still use ebay on a more limited basis to stay under the cap and just monitor it.  But right now, I'm not going to eat self employment taxes on my choice not to trash my property vs sell it. Taking a 15% hit is unacceptable.  And image people who buy a few items here or there to flip.  That's going to either drive up costs a lot next year to cover that tax, or it'll drive things into the ground and force people into just doing money orders which is really really inconvenient.  That's my plan, MOs and cash in person using facebook, and if something does 'sell' I'll just flag it as removed item, don't want it tracked as sold and reported.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Well, speak of the devil, ebay threw down the give us your bank account access or else. I am going to choose else as I don't want to give them that access. So no more selling there, which I rarely did anyway, and I suppose sooner or later no more buying. I wonder what percentage of users are saying NO? Still, to their credit there was one LESS successful auction site with a less ethical management.

 

Quote

Let’s get you registered now in three simple steps:

  1. Verify your information
  2. Provide a checking account. You can use an existing account, or add a new one.
  3. Keep selling as usual.

 

Edited by Pipercub
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Pipercub hah yeah, but is it really less ethical these days compared?  I'm not so sure.

 

You could do what I did, block em, reversing their own policies on them.  Setup an online account, one that issues a debit card, get it authorized on account (as it won't on a card, even debit), then when clear, add the debit and remove the bank access.  Now you're in control.  They pull games, you pull card.  The only added effort is to keep a very low to no balance on the bank account and transfer the money elsewhere (like a transfer to paypal I do.) T hey can't take what isn't there, and if they try, you do a charge back -- game over.  They lose, and you just can't sell anymore when they bust you for not letting them take things they're not entitled to.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...