IGNORED

Entry 2020: The Pandora Incident

20 hours ago, cmadruga said:

Our protagonist takes an ominous first tour of the ship and silently takes stock of the situation...

image.png.9ba2349df8c395ab363ae0b869611fef.png     image.png.285163d1622805304c03bc0a2b9c9af7.png  image.png.69975b14c2d3693d3433da410188217e.png 

Everytime you post screen shots they are even more amazing than the previous ones.

Just absolutely, outstanding looking work!?

• Like 1

On 12/10/2020 at 8:32 PM, cmadruga said:

Our friend Justin, a.k.a. Black_Tiger is the man behind the graphics you see. Real talented guy!

He does a great job.  Intellivision graphic chip is pretty difficult.  My biggest weakness is drawing the sprites. 

This game is looking really good. 

3 hours ago, Kiwi said:

He does a great job.  Intellivision graphic chip is pretty difficult.  My biggest weakness is drawing the sprites. 

This game is looking really good. 

I don't think the STIC is too bad... if we had more sprites, or if we could have doubleX ones it would be nice, but it's easy to forget how old the Intellivision is sometimes.

Drawing sprites and creating animation frames is an art in itself.  I like to think I'm becoming "passable" at it, but when you see the caliber of the work that a Black_Tiger or a TIX can create, it's always humbling.

Either way, to the extent that those talented folks will push the envelope, at least that makes me better at putting their vision into practice. I'm happy when I can put >80% of what they design into practice ?

Artrag has also been busy putting into practice animations related to doors, elevators and other background elements. I learn so much reading his code, it's like free programming classes. ;-)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The 1230 version just hangs for me.  Can't proceed past the title screen.

Key function requests:

Would be nice if TPI used the same key for selecting the inventory screen (keypad #4) as infiltrator.

Also, for future reference, and a general (selfish) request applying to all new games:

I use jzintv to play the games, but with a custom key mapping that has WER,SDF,XCV,Z

mapped to the left controller's keypad (123,456,789,0), and AGT mapped to the lower left,

lower right, and upper action buttons.  Many games use an action button for firing.  But I

find it stressful to reach for G and T.  So I typically remap 'F' to be the fire key for games that

require a lot of rapid key presses.

This remapping of F takes over keypad #6.  So my request is to avoid using keypad #6

for anything meaningful (except perhaps, for firing).  It's not a huge deal, as I can typically

just have a special map for the game that swaps F and T.  But it's easier if things just work out of the box.

@Peripheral

About the hanging... Are you using the latest Jzintv and have you tried both rom and bin files? 

The key used for inventory is somewhat arbitrary for now, since we started using 1 and 2 for debugging stuff.

I don’t see a problem changing to 4.

The full, post-contest version will use additional keys. I don’t see keypad 6 being one of them so you should be good.

Edited by cmadruga

4 minutes ago, Peripheral said:

Updating jzintv did the trick (I had been on the 20181225 version).

The 20200712 and 20200822 versions both get past the title screen hang.

I hit another snag.  After logging out of the terminal that opens shuttle bay 1,  Ellen is now stuck.

Cannot move in any direction.

Hmmm, I can't reproduce that on my side. Did you just go straight to the bridge and opened the terminal?