fille1976

Atari Jaguar Cd

Hi,

I have a problem with the cddrive damping rubbers,they fall apart cause the age maybe,with what part i can fix this?

Or is there a store that sell them.

Grts Filip

Damping rubbers? What part is that?  I feel like Jaguar CD's are 25 years old, pretty soon they will all need TLC to go for another 25.  Just like all Sega CD's do now. 

6 hours ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Damping rubbers? What part is that?  I feel like Jaguar CD's are 25 years old, pretty soon they will all need TLC to go for another 25.  Just like all Sega CD's do now. 

The rubber grommets that isolate the CD drive to stop it from vibrating the system. 

I wouldn't mind knowing that too.  I have a working JagCD and another JagCD I want to see if I can fix up.   Been meaning to ask some questions about it, this might be a great thread for it.

Awesome, these will come in handy.  One of my drives has one partially mutilated mount (when I repaired it, it was clear someone even less skilled had attempted a prior repair), and as a result if I don't close the lid just so, it rubs on the disc as it spins.

@fille1976
When you get these, let us know if they are of comparable quality to the originals!

Edited by cubanismo
rubs on the disc, not runs on it.

1 hour ago, cubanismo said:

Awesome, these will come in handy.  One of my drives has one partially mutilated mount (when I repaired it, it was clear someone even less skilled had attempted a prior repair), and as a result if I don't close the lid just so, it runs on the disc as it spins.

@fille1976
When you get these, let us know if they are of comparable quality to the originals!

Ok,will do that,i don't know when they will arrive,probably december.

I ordered some a little while back to replace the ones in a CD drive I was modifying. They've not arrived yet, hopefully soon.

Edited by neo_rg

Ah! I noticed this when I took my CD apart a while back. The rubber grommets are slightly damaged in the process, but the Jag CD works. Anyway, it would be a good idea to invest in some of those for future preservation of my beloved Jag CD!

Now that i ordered them,i can also recap it and service it further,it has a new laser,so it works perfekt,tryed yesterday with audio cd and games.

Also recappped my ntsc jag and my wife found back my pal jag,so gona recap that and keep that as backup,its 50/60 modded.

And then waiting if that gamedrive becomes available sometime.

• Like 2

Speaking of work on the Jag CD, I noticed when I replaced the laser assembly that the plastic gears on the original had some kind of grease. The replacement one looked bone dry. Is there a preferred grease for these gears?

On 11/15/2020 at 5:25 PM, tripled79 said:

Speaking of work on the Jag CD, I noticed when I replaced the laser assembly that the plastic gears on the original had some kind of grease. The replacement one looked bone dry. Is there a preferred grease for these gears?

White lithium grease. 

Hi guys,those rubbers arrived and replaced,working fine.

So now you known they are good.

Thx for pointing me to them.

Edited by fille1976
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just finished up a Jaguar CD repair, I thought I'd post my findings here. The issue was disc read errors due to a failing disc drive, mainly being unable to read CD-R discs. Main thing I found is that not all VAM1202 replacement drives are the same! I tried 4 different ones and the newer ones (with the white plastic on the ribbon connector) continued the disc read errors, while what seemed like an older one (with clear plastic on the ribbon connector) seems to work fine currently. Anybody else have experience with this?

If possible get a replacement that has the big motors on them, most of them are the half sized one. Replace like with like wherever possible. 

6 hours ago, SparkTR said:

Anybody else have experience with this?

I had the same problem with one of my repairs. I had an extra VAM but opted to leave it as-is, so I can test the quality of my CD-R media and burns on iffy units.

I received my new rubber grommets. Haven't installed them yet, but they look nice and clear. My replacement CD drive that I installed a few years back seems to work. Occasionally I get the CD ? icon on screen, but a few tries usually does the trick.

7 hours ago, SparkTR said:

I just finished up a Jaguar CD repair, I thought I'd post my findings here. The issue was disc read errors due to a failing disc drive, mainly being unable to read CD-R discs. Main thing I found is that not all VAM1202 replacement drives are the same! I tried 4 different ones and the newer ones (with the white plastic on the ribbon connector) continued the disc read errors, while what seemed like an older one (with clear plastic on the ribbon connector) seems to work fine currently. Anybody else have experience with this?

This is what I have. Does it look like one of the problem ones?

IMG_20201218_092155.jpg

Edited by JagChris