IGNORED

Atari Jaguar Cd

fille1976

1 hour ago, LordKraken said:

As a (humble) collector, I see your point. 

But let's face it, when you have a family, you need to be reasonable. And the price of the JagCD is simply unreasonable at the moment (I'd rather buy a second Jag for 200$ than spent 4 or 5 times this price for a JagCD). And I don't see that changing in the near future. So when you love the Jag, even with all its weaknesses, the idea of being able to enjoy the CD games and homebrews for a fraction of the price is a fantastic news.

I also get your point, I didn’t realize how damn expensive they got until I just checked ePay. 

I wonder if the price for the jaguar cd and/or it’s games will be affected when the gamedrive supports cd imagines, I really hope so but I doubt it. 

It probably won't happen anymore? but I still think it would be cool to have Soulstar released on cd as well as it was intended to be.

While the Sd-carts for retro systems are very cool, very handy and a way to play games that are normally out of reach, there's something about putting a cartridge or cd game in the console and play it IMO.

• Like 1

Yeah joking aside, I very much hope GD CD support brings down the prices, and I hope wide GD availability in general brings down things like Rayman prices. I know collectors are gonna collect, and I too enjoy putting a cartridge or CD in the system, but everyone else should get to play these games too IMHO.

• Like 4

An update to my Jag CD situation. Turns out I was having multiple issues. The OSSC wasn't playing nice with my RGB Scart cable, causing desyncs that I wrongly associated with the disc drive. My old power supply was insufficient, leading to wavy lines on screen and likely other issues. My old CD burner was producing coasters, I bought a nice $150 Blu-ray burner than can go down to x4 speeds and almost every disc works now. So basically, make sure you buy good quality products in general, because a cheapo burner, power supply and scart cable can be the difference between a working Jag CD and an expensive doorstop. I'll see how it fares tomorrow.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

So I'm picking this up again, three months later! I'm thinking my issue lies with the capacitors and possibly the Bios chip. I'm going to replace both of those. Does anyone have experience with bad caps on the Jag CD? Could they be causing disc read errors?

I also noticed the Bios chip on my Jag CD is socketed. I thought they came soldered direct to the board?

Edited by SparkTR

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Please excuse if I am wrong in this thread, but I have read about an laser for the jag-CD some comments above.

As my Jag-CD didn't read any CDs since yesterday (haven't used it for quite a time), I think it would be a good idea to change the laser. First the disk did spin up, but this also stopped by now :(

Is this still the laser and mechanics I have to go for?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32849520736.html

3 hours ago, piXLgames_de said:

Please excuse if I am wrong in this thread, but I have read about an laser for the jag-CD some comments above.

As my Jag-CD didn't read any CDs since yesterday (haven't used it for quite a time), I think it would be a good idea to change the laser. First the disk did spin up, but this also stopped by now :(

Is this still the laser and mechanics I have to go for?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32849520736.html

It looks just like the CD mechanism I replaced in my Jag CD and it works great. You may want to get some rubber mounts while you're at it. I can't remember where I bought mine from, but it's hard to replace without tearing some rubber...

• 2 weeks later...

@SparkTR: could you please share more details about recap? which capacitors did you replace? Maybe by change you took a picture before reassembling ;-). My Jaguar CD is becoming more and more picky. I'm considering replacing Laser mechanism, rubbers & recap. Perfect thread here for that. Thank you all.

On 11/1/2021 at 10:18 PM, blacktdm said:

@SparkTR: could you please share more details about recap? which capacitors did you replace? Maybe by change you took a picture before reassembling ;-). My Jaguar CD is becoming more and more picky. I'm considering replacing Laser mechanism, rubbers & recap. Perfect thread here for that. Thank you all.

Sorry I have no pics. I bought this kit from Console5 and replaced all the electrolytic capacitors on the circuit board (they look like this) with the ones supplied in the kit. There's roughly 8 of them I think.

It's a fairly easy job, just heat up the solder attaching the legs of the capacitors to the board, suck it out using a solder sucker and then carefully pull out the capacitor. Replace it with the new one, and be sure to keep the polarity (positive and negative) the same.

On 11/2/2021 at 1:30 PM, SparkTR said:

Sorry I have no pics. I bought this kit from Console5 and replaced all the electrolytic capacitors on the circuit board (they look like this) with the ones supplied in the kit. There's roughly 8 of them I think.

It's a fairly easy job, just heat up the solder attaching the legs of the capacitors to the board, suck it out using a solder sucker and then carefully pull out the capacitor. Replace it with the new one, and be sure to keep the polarity (positive and negative) the same.

Thanks a lot, now I have somewhere to start from ?