IGNORED

Jack LaLanne's Physical Conditioning Intro

decle

Some more progress on reviving the tape deck on @Ron The Cat's K/C.  I felt it probably deserved its own thread this time:

Still not certain what is wrong or why it's improving (I'm primarily focused on documenting the tape drive behaviour at the moment), but when the result is that we get to see and hear Jack after 40 years, who cares :)

As you can see things are still not great as the options following the introduction fail with "BAD TAPE".  So thankfully my and Ron's state of unfitness will remain for the moment and we're not obliged to "kick yourself in the backside every day". ;)

• Like 19
  • Haha 1

I've put together a second video of Jack in action.  This gets a bit further into the fitness test before it turns up its toes.  I've also taken a direct feed of the Intellivision audio and mixed it in with the ambient sound, so Jack's vocals should be better.

A few things to note... 

If you ever have the chance to listen to a K/C tape you will notice that the non-BASIC ones like Jack LaLanne have a weird tone at the start.  This is notable because it is at a different frequency to program data (~1400Hz rather than 1500Hz).  It is now clear what this tone is for.  It is played back through the TV so that you can set the volume of the two channels on the audio tape as we see at the start of Jack LaLanne.  This is done using two dials on the left side of the K/C, one each for the pre-recorded audio and the user recorded audio.

I'm not sure if Jack is Year 2000 compliant, but as you can see I can set a current date of ??20 and a birth date of 1970 (presumably).  So either it is compliant, or I'm in for trouble later, or I'm a Time Lord. :party:

You will notice that Jack mentions music playing when doing the exercise, this is also mentioned in the manual, but as you can hear no music plays.  And there isn't any music on the audio tracks of the tape.  I don't think the tape has started to have problems at this point so I don't think it is because some electronic music has failed to load, but perhaps I'm wrong.  I'd be really interested if this music is intended to be generated by the Inty or if it was supposed to be pre-recorded and was then dropped for some reason.  It doesn't seem that the intention was that the user recorded some music onto the recordable audio track, as it's not mentioned in the manual (this would have to be done using the K/C because the user recorded track is on side B of the tape and any music would have to be recorded backwards in order to play forwards on the K/C.  It would also nuke anything on the user recorded data track).  Once I get to investigating the audio side of the tape interface it should be possible to see whether the K/C is playing the pre-recorded audio at this point, with the intention that it contains some music.

Finally, when the tape does fail it seems that it might be a mechanical failure.  If I try to rewind the tape from this point the tape deck really struggles, suggesting the tape is binding.  However, if I remove the tape it is not obviously stiff.  I've tried a few things to free up the tape a bit, including fast forwarding and rewinding the whole tape, playing it all the way through on a regular deck, a bit of percussive maintenance to settle the reels and opening it up to make sure the slip sheets and rollers look OK.  The results are unclear, sometimes things seem to improve a bit, allowing the video above, sometimes they regress.

If anyone has suggestions for means to improve the mechanical playback of tapes that don't involve the application of kitchen oil or silicone lubricants I'd be interested to hear them. :thumbsup:

• Like 5

I don't have any helpful suggestions but I can tell you that the music that plays during exercises is ay3-8914 music.  Not sure if it's the same for the fitness test.

Does anyone else have a working keyboard component?  This seems to be the first video of either Jack Lalanne or the Conversation French programs.  Awesome work.

• Like 2

Congrats Decle !

Been a few years now since we first met up and you began tinkering with the KC and it's dodgy 4-track cassette deck.

Can't believe we finally got to see Jack Lalanne boot up and invite us into his gym (pretty darn woofy smell by now I suspect) , an historic achievement. Something I have waited for since 1981 when first saw the brochure advertising it.

We did fail to consult our physician before hand though as the marketing blurb advised ....

jack.jpg

Edited by Ron The Cat
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1