IGNORED

How to break into a program?

Hans23

Hello,

I am a TI-99/4A noob.  As a kid, I was mostly a Z80 user, but I've recently acquired a TI as a pandemic survival hobby and finally got the machine up and running (with TMS-RGB, FinalGROM99 and nanoPEB).  Now it's time to actually use it :)

For my question:  I've played with TurboForth a little and I like it very much.  However, I did not find a way to break out of an endless loop, so basically I reset the machine everytime I hung it up.  I imagine that there might be a way to break back into the Forth interpreter, but what would that be?  Is there a magic key combination that I have not guessed?  Likewise, when I start Extended Basic with the nanoPCB fresh from the factory plugged in, it seems to boot from the floppy into the nanoPEB configuration program.  How do I get to the Extended Basic prompt instead?

Any help would be appreciated!
-Hans

Edited by Hans23

3 hours ago, Hans23 said:

Likewise, when I start Extended Basic with the nanoPCB fresh from the factory plugged in, it seems to boot from the floppy into the nanoPEB configuration program.  How do I get to the Extended Basic prompt instead?

Holding down the enter key immediately after selecting XB from the main menu will prevent LOAD from running. [Edit: I was sure this method worked, but, at least in Classic99, holding down <enter> or the space bar does not prevent LOAD from executing. If this is, indeed, the case, the only methods open to you are to rename or delete the LOAD program or to change the nanoPEB’s DSK1 to another volume.]

...lee

Edited by Lee Stewart
CORRECTION

2 hours ago, Hans23 said:

I've played with TurboForth a little and I like it very much.  However, I did not find a way to break out of an endless loop, so basically I reset the machine everytime I hung it up.  I imagine that there might be a way to break back into the Forth interpreter, but what would that be?  Is there a magic key combination that I have not guessed?

TurboForth disables <quit> (FCTN+= [system reset]), but, even were you to re-enable <quit>, you would not be able to reset to the system screen because the normal state of TurboForth is to run with interrupts disabled. If you wish to exit infinite loops in TurboForth, you must provide the method within the loop. The easiest way to do this is to include BREAK? within the loop. This will allow you to break out of the loop by tapping <break> (FCTN+4), much as happens in TI Basic and Extended Basic without programmer intervention. Be advised, though, that it does extend the loop’s execution time.

...lee

• Like 2

Hello,

I am a TI-99/4A noob.  As a kid, I was mostly a Z80 user, but I've recently acquired a TI as a pandemic survival hobby and finally got the machine up and running (with TMS-RGB, FinalGROM99 and nanoPEB).  Now it's time to actually use it [emoji4]

For my question:  I've played with TurboForth a little and I like it very much.  However, I did not find a way to break out of an endless loop, so basically I reset the machine everytime I hung it up.  I imagine that there might be a way to break back into the Forth interpreter, but what would that be?  Is there a magic key combination that I have not guessed?  Likewise, when I start Extended Basic with the nanoPCB fresh from the factory plugged in, it seems to boot from the floppy into the nanoPEB configuration program.  How do I get to the Extended Basic prompt instead?

Any help would be appreciated!
-Hans
Hold fctn 4 (on classic 99 it's alt 4) after selecting extended basic and it'll break the load program before loading cfmgr

Also you can mount a different disk to DSK1 with call mount in ti basic

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

• Like 1