IGNORED

Atari Unveils Vault Of 100 Games Optimized For The Atari VCS

Technically the games are optimized for the new Atari Wireless Classic joystick, for the VCS. There would be some amount of engineering effort to get the games to operate correctly with the new twisting joystick (racing/paddle controlls), and dual-button support. It also ismr clear if the LEDs on the joystick react to the game, or if they are a product of some internal mechanism in the joystick itself.

4 hours ago, CapitanClassic said:

Technically the games are optimized for the new Atari Wireless Classic joystick, for the VCS. There would be some amount of engineering effort to get the games to operate correctly with the new twisting joystick (racing/paddle controlls), and dual-button support. It also ismr clear if the LEDs on the joystick react to the game, or if they are a product of some internal mechanism in the joystick itself.

Not really, easier to emulate with hardware.

• 1 month later...
On 11/13/2020 at 12:56 PM, CapitanClassic said:

You will find that, in Atari Vault, in the arcade games, the LEDs respond to game events. e.g. in Asteroids: shooting, thrust, orientation of the ship, destruction, as examples. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, JeffVav said:

You will find that, in Atari Vault, in the arcade games, the LEDs respond to game events. e.g. in Asteroids: shooting, thrust, orientation of the ship, destruction, as examples. 

Why would you be staring down at the controller to see what the LEDs are doing when you're supposed to be watching what's happening on the screen?  That's also going to be really distracting in a darkened room.

This just doesn't seem like a design detail that has any benefit in the real world, but likely has more than a few detriments.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 5

Yeah, it's a nice package.

Totally worth the $3 I paid for it in a Steam sale a few years back. ?

I'll give the classic joystick props for being the one innovative thing in the entire project, but I'd still be inclined to see how they fare in action for a few months before I'd consider getting one.

• Haha 1

In the November 12th blog post focusing on the new classic joystick, they highlight 10 of the 150 enhanced games (between Volume 1 & 2 of the enhanced Vault).

Personally I think this is going to make playing the Vault games a lot more fun than on my Steam copies. And I sure don't mind that the first volume is FREE and 2nd is super cheap!

Atari VCS Vault: Fully-Optimized for the Classic Joystick

The Atari VCS Vault that comes free with every Atari VCS, and the Atari VCS Vault Vol. 2 DLC have been optimized for the new Wireless Classic Joystick and the team has compiled it’s Top Ten favorite Atari Vault classics they suggest fans play first:

1. Pong — paddle function and vibration
  2. Red Baron — acts like a plane joystick
  3. Breakout/Super Breakout — paddle function and vibration
  4. Tempest — precise rotation
  5. Warlords — precise rotation helps gameplay
  6. Centipede/Millipede — fast simplified movement works well
  7. Liberator — Enhanced aiming
  8. Lunar Lander — Combination of rotation and joystick direction blends really well
  9. Major Havoc — Rotation control adds to the fun
  10. Missile Command — Fast movement for precise aiming

Also, as previously announced, the Atari VCS version of Missile Command: Recharged has also been optimized for use with the Atari Wireless Classic Joystick (or Modern Controller) and there are more optimized games coming.

image.thumb.png.d98c017cdd2f5a00bb23e0b625ca2626.png

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AnakiMana said:

In the November 12th blog post focusing on the new classic joystick, they highlight 10 of the 150 enhanced games (between Volume 1 & 2 of the enhanced Vault).

Personally I think this is going to make playing the Vault games a lot more fun than on my Steam copies. And I sure don't mind that the first volume is FREE and 2nd is super cheap!

Atari VCS Vault: Fully-Optimized for the Classic Joystick

The Atari VCS Vault that comes free with every Atari VCS, and the Atari VCS Vault Vol. 2 DLC have been optimized for the new Wireless Classic Joystick and the team has compiled it’s Top Ten favorite Atari Vault classics they suggest fans play first:

1. Pong — paddle function and vibration
  2. Red Baron — acts like a plane joystick
  3. Breakout/Super Breakout — paddle function and vibration
  4. Tempest — precise rotation
  5. Warlords — precise rotation helps gameplay
  6. Centipede/Millipede — fast simplified movement works well
  7. Liberator — Enhanced aiming
  8. Lunar Lander — Combination of rotation and joystick direction blends really well
  9. Major Havoc — Rotation control adds to the fun
  10. Missile Command — Fast movement for precise aiming

Also, as previously announced, the Atari VCS version of Missile Command: Recharged has also been optimized for use with the Atari Wireless Classic Joystick (or Modern Controller) and there are more optimized games coming.

image.thumb.png.d98c017cdd2f5a00bb23e0b625ca2626.png

The odd thing with this list is that the classic controller provides twist but the stick maps directly to the D-pad function. So there's been no specific enhancement for the classic controller input in Centipede, Millipede, Liberator, or Missile Command. They'll behave the same as using the arrow keys on your PC keyboard. Unless they're just talking about the ergonomic feel of the controller itself, but then analogue does give more flexibility in emulating a trackball than D-pad does. Personally I'd have have put the 2600 games on the list as benefitting from the ergonomics more, and Race/Indy 500 and the paddle games (Circus Atari etc.) for benefitting from Twist.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Stupid question: Are these "'classics" 2600 games?

Well half of them are arcade only (e.g. Liberator). I'd assumed they were just referring to arcade games since there are 2600 games that definitely benefit more that aren't there. 

6 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

How about Missile Command, Centipede and Millipede?

You'd have to ask whoever wrote the article. :) I'm just inferring from the fact that no game on the list is not an arcade game and if 2600 games were included there are others that probably deserve to be there more. e.g. any 2600 paddle or driving controller game over Liberator. (Please don't conclude I have something against Liberator. :)) I do note with Red Baron they must be speaking strictly of ergonomics not function. 

That said, the classic stick is closer to the CX-40 so the 2600 games will presumably feel more familiar on it. 

Atari 2600 missile command, centipede, and millipede are designed for 8-way joysticks as is.  With the arcade versions someone has to decide what speed the player moves, or even add acceleration, when using a digital joystick.  Same thing applies to arcade machines that used analog joysticks like red baron.

Edited by mr_me

7 hours ago, mr_me said:

The arcade versions should have mouse/trackball support like vault for the pc.  It would be disappointing if it didn't.  The comments are about optimising for the vcs controllers.

Atari staff have verified that trackball PC mice were tested on the VCS and worked great as arcade rollerballs.

I was going to get a good one after learning that, and ended up getting an X-Arcade Tankstick with roller. I'm pretty much all set since I've got 2 of their modern & two classic on the way too.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to ask about the controller latency in Atari Vault on VCS. As I am running that OS on my PC, the latency is not good, so I am unsure if the problem is my non-gaming laptop or the games are really not optimized.

Edited by Wizzard