IGNORED

800XL PBI 5V fix?

bfollowell

52 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

Out of curiosity, other than running a Sys-Check device without needing to grab power from a joystick port, what purpose would it serve having power on the PBI? Are there other devices that make use of it?

In another post, @reifsnyderb created an external 320K memory expansion that does not require any mods to host computer and it connects via the PBI. It requires the 5 volts to function.

3 hours ago, bfollowell said:

Out of curiosity, other than running a Sys-Check device without needing to grab power from a joystick port, what purpose would it serve having power on the PBI? Are there other devices that make use of it?

RAM 320XL and Turbo-Freezer 2011.

ram320.thumb.jpg.c67674d26a7a2bbeebbac4b65b69a604.jpg

tf2011.thumb.jpg.f7f2d20233849e204f3150f7dce59dcf.jpg

7 hours ago, scorpio_ny said:

In another post, @reifsnyderb created an external 320K memory expansion that does not require any mods to host computer and it connects via the PBI. It requires the 5 volts to function.

Yep! It could run of off external power, but I'm so clumsy, I was afraid I would step on an external power cable and damage the item. I'm very glad I was able switch to PBI power with this mod.

46 minutes ago, invisible kid said:

I had to go back in for a single flaky 'N' key, so I did this while it was open. I think this guy is set for the moment!

IMG_0943.JPG

There should be a 100 ohm resistor inline as well.  Also, you may want to remove C56.  (If present.)  If you aren't going to use RF, removing C54 is a good idea as well.

• Like 1

@invisible kid I agree with Reifsnyderb, you need the 100ohm resistor in that wire, (where I tend to go in on the top of the PCB, (but that is just me) - I know many prefer underneath the PCB as you have done which is no problem. Just make sure it doesn't snag on anything or the resistor short against anything, (hence heatshrink and/or electricians tape is always good).:grin:

image.thumb.png.4a4199edb450ce15013bba7d7f746b8a.png

FYI removing the C54 capacitor as mentoned disconnects the Composiie video too as well as RF. See the following thread below if you would rather keep it just in case you wish to use composite in future, but for the purposes of eliminating jailbars and cross talk caused by composite when using S-video on LCD displays. To do this is simple and instructions on how to install a switch to turn composite on and off, (which also shows examples of the difference it can make on LCDs), is detailed. I do this mod on all my stock 800XLs:

Just out of interest for 800XLFs (the 800XL with a Freddie chip), see below where it is the same procedure but with the XLF's equivilent - the C46 capacitor instead:

Generally most of the 800XLs I've worked on happen not to have the C56 anyway.

• Like 1

@invisible kid No worries. Sounds like a plan.

For what it's worth all my A8s run off S-video rather than composite - notably better output than composite and obviously RF - especially when using double sheilded S-video cables.

Add the ability to swtich off composite when using an S-video cable on LCD screen and you get a great image - I'll let the images do the talking.

S-video outputs on LCDs:

With composite circuit on and the C54 engaged as if it was never removed:

image.thumb.png.24b17e32fc3929476134c9415754a5cb.png

With it disaengaged and composite turned off, thus eliminating cross talk:

image.thumb.png.afa8c854908fd44d4d42a9106f82fdc0.png

:grin:

• Like 3