IGNORED

ExA-Arcadia - The New Neo Geo MVS

Shaggy the Atarian

Original classics are fairly widespread still, although how many originals have survived to today is a question we'll never know the answer to. In my case, all my games are originals. Running MAME in a business like mine would probably never be "caught" by whomever polices such a thing, but I don't do that anyways.

I still run into people who say that graphics don't matter. They don't to small kids and super casual gamers, who are fine with terrible looking stuff like Roblox or Minecraft. But they really do to everyone else. I think that's a big thing always driving PlayStation sales no matter what the generation, they're always talking about the graphics in that case (even though you can always get better on a PC :P )

Arcades these days do what's needed. While they could use RTX cards, chances are that wouldn't really make the game earn any better than without such a thing. All exA games support 4K, although nothing on the platform has really pushed it yet as they've focused more on the games/gameplay.

Speaking of the exA again, here's the latest release, Rival Megagun XE. Think Twinkle Star Sprites, but you get to become a boss character to fight your opponent:

• Like 3

Looks good. I would play that.

Many times shooters are innovative in the art department, if not in the same'ol same'ol hypersteroidal action. Working through this style of game is not unlike playing a musical instrument. Focus on the art of the pattern, yet with no strict requirement to adhere to it. A trance. If that makes any sense..

In a odd sort of way, one shmup blends into the next into the next.. Easy to segue from one to the other and somehow feel it's a continuation. One long-ass game. Till you're done.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

The trance thing is what made me fall in love with Tempest 2000. That was one of the first times I really got into the zone with a game. Also did with Dariusburst. 

23 hours ago, Cobra Kai said:

This thing is really cool! Thanks Shaggy for sharing with us. I would love to have one of these in my house.

No problem :) You can buy them for home, but they do charge arcade prices for it (believe it or not, this one of the cheapest brand new games you can get in the biz these days)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/24/2021 at 11:38 PM, SlidellMan said:

Would a car combat game be doable on the ExA Arcadia if it supported a steering wheel, pedals, and a shift stick?

Sure, some JAMMA and JVS setups have used that, so I don't imagine it would be too difficult to support, it's just that the main platform is made for the joystick/button controls.

In exA news, SNK is now an official exA partner, which means that SNK titles will be coming back to arcades. Samurai Showdown V Perfect is the first, but they have several others in development (can't spill what they are yet, but some exciting stuff is on the horizon with SNK & exA)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

In exA news, SNK is now an official exA partner, which means that SNK titles will be coming back to arcades. Samurai Showdown V Perfect is the first, but they have several others in development (can't spill what they are yet, but some exciting stuff is on the horizon with SNK & exA)

I agree Shaggy. Looking forward on seeing more regarding it. Ooooh, can't spell the beans what they are? The suspense is killing me bro. :)

Anthony..

• Like 1

We'd likely know by now, but unfortunately with the pandemic hurting exA's home market of Japan a bit harder than places like the US, this keeps pushing things back. 

That said, the stuff we can expect to see from SNK are names that you all definitely know :) 

In other exA news, Cosmic Digger 3671 is now up for pre-order. Remake of a super obscure  Japanese arcade game from 1980, now with 4-player support and Jeff Minter-like graphics.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

In case you missed it, CAVE is back in arcades - first with the release of DoDonPachi True Death EXA Label in Dec. 2020, now with Akai Katana EXA Label. I got to play it a couple of months ago and while I'm not a huge fan of bullet hell shmups, it looked and played beautifully and it was fun.

More details:

https://arcadeheroes.com/2022/01/06/pre-orders-open-for-akai-katana-crimson-katana-exa-label/

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

In case you missed it, CAVE is back in arcades - first with the release of DoDonPachi True Death EXA Label in Dec. 2020, now with Akai Katana EXA Label. I got to play it a couple of months ago and while I'm not a huge fan of bullet hell shmups, it looked and played beautifully and it was fun.

More details:

https://arcadeheroes.com/2022/01/06/pre-orders-open-for-akai-katana-crimson-katana-exa-label/

Good to know Shaggy. Thank you for the heads up. Also bro, wishing you and your love ones a Happy New Year. Keep up the great work that you provide for the community my good man. :)

Anthony..

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Three new shmups have been announced for the exA - Cambria Sword AC; Jamjam'n Jelly Exa Lente; and Shinorubi Pink Label.

They have also updated news on some other titles and have added that they've sold over 500 units worldwide (sounds like nothing but in modern arcades that's good for a small company. Most indie arcade machines sell 50-100 units if they're lucky)

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

The new shmup Touhou Perfect Sakura Fantastica was showcased at a special event in Japan today (yesterday for them at this point) where it did extremely well; Had a line of over 100 people waiting to play, although I don't know how many people were at the event in total. I don't imagine that this one will get noticed much here in the States but the IP is pretty big in Japan. 

• 4 months later...

Been a while since I updated this thread - I just got my hands on the first SNK release to the system, Samurai Shodown V Perfect, so here's an unboxing and some gameplay.

It's not a gigantic difference from the console version that you can get as a part of the Samurai Shodown Collection, however, it is superior - deeper colors, much reduced input lag (Switch is about 4/5 frames; AC is 0.5), improved & corrected translation, full English support, gory deaths all fully restored.

Contrary to some belief, this is available worldwide, not just Japan, which is what makes it significant, all thanks to the exA platform.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2022 at 6:54 PM, SlidellMan said:

Wow, Incredible Technologies still exists? I hope they have more trackball games in store for the Exa Arcadia besides Golden Tee.

IT does exist but they aren't doing anything with the exA. Was there a typo in my text? Just curious so I can fix it.

I took a bunch of video of new exA games at the expo, here are a few but probably easier to check my channel and the exA playlist to see them all :)

As someone on YouTube was disputing the existence of Donut Dodo Do! (since he can play the Steam game on his iiRcade), exA has launched a page for it which backs me up. They've brought on an artist who has done work for Capcom on Rockman/Megaman; The exA version will also support 2-players ala Mario Bros.

Toaplan's Batsugun is coming back to arcades, an HD remix coming to exA-Arcadia next Spring. This will have a new arranged soundtrack but other enhancements haven't been announced yet (most likely it will do what other exA shmup titles have done by including the original game, a new HD remaster, then an EXA mode with some other changes)

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The exA-Arcadia now has a 100% exclusive in Dynamite Bomb!!, a 2D fighting game made from scratch for the system, thus only existing for arcades. Gamers looking for a fighter that focuses on skill & combos will enjoy this one:

https://arcadeheroes.com/2023/07/01/2d-arcade-exclusive-fighter-dynamite-bomb-now-available-for-pre-order/

• 3 weeks later...