IGNORED

Booting from APT drives on Side3

TJ76

My main setup is an Atari 800XL with Ultimate 1MB, Sophia DVI, Side 3 running latest 0.19 firmware and an Sdrive Max on the side.  Prior to a few months ago this was stored in a loft for years, and back in the 80s and early 90s, we only had a 1010 tape drive, therefore my knowledge on installing these upgrades, and using things like Spartados and 'disks' in general with an Atari are only a few months old - playing catchup here.

After using Side3 in rather basic fashion for a while accessing SDCard with single FAT32 partition to load ATRs, XEXs and ROMs from the loader, I've, after a couple of mistakes, reconfigured a card via fdisk under SDX to have APT and Fat32 on same drive, and have been able to copy files between SDMax card and virtual drives on the card in the Side3 under Spartados launched from the U1MB.

Along with nostalgia of playing games from my youth, I want to continue doing more useful things with the Atari, and had started teaching my son programming in Atari Basic, and soon after discovered Turbo basic which was helpful to speedup some random number generation we were doing in our program.  I can boot turbo basic from the ATR I have via the SDMAX, and access .bas files stored on a drive mounted on the Side3.  

Now the potentially silly question where I don't know what I'm doing - Can I transfer the Turbo basic .atr to one of the Side3 PBI hard drives to boot it from there.  It's a Dos 2.0 .atr , and if i copy the files across, and attempt to boot from it by selecting in U1MB as boot device (d3) , I have BOOT ERROR displayed repeatedly on screen.  I wondered if for compatibility I needed drive to be setup as DOS 2.0, however in Format I seem to be unable to change mode of the drive.

Apologies if obvious / covered elsewhere, but lacking in knowledge here - best way to have selectable Drive to Boot into Turbo basic.

Thanks all, good evening and have enjoyable weekends.  TJ

10 hours ago, TJ76 said:

Can I transfer the Turbo basic .atr to one of the Side3 PBI hard drives to boot it from there.  It's a Dos 2.0 .atr

You can. Update the U1MB firmware components needed for SIDE3 integration:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/309492-side-3-preorder/?do=findComment&comment=4660670

Then, put the TBXL ATR into the FAT partition, enable the PBI HDD in the U1MB settings, and boot the ATR from the SIDE3 loader. You can also copy the TBXL executable onto a HDD partition if you want.

You can even accomplish this in 'stand alone' mode (i.e. without U1MB support) if you just copy the TBXL executable onto one of your APT partitions and launch it with the 'X' command from the SDX CLI.

Note: because of inadequate beta testing and rushed release, neither the U1MB firmware for SIDE3 nor SIDE3's on-board SDX are finalised; expect issues until everything is properly completed.

• Like 1