IGNORED

Last Squadron ABBUC software contest 2020

shanti77

I burned the .ATR to floppy disk with Prosystem when I first downloaded it, and have been playing it on my 800 loading with an Indus GT since. No problems what so ever. First in NTSC and now PAL, it correctly checks and adjusts for both. I wish all home brew games had .ATR versions, then I wouldn't have to make .ATR versions out of the .XEX's.

I save the .XEX's to a FAT partion on my CF card, and eventually get most transferred to my HDD partions, but there is still nothing like the feeling of a new Atari game auto loading from a floppy drive on my Atari.

I've been playing the game all afternoon today. I finally made it past the first boss & level a few days ago, and again today, but have not lived to the boss on the second level yet.

20201213_163404.jpg

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2020 at 4:55 PM, therealbountybob said:

I'm a bit late to the party but nice game guys, thank you all, and yes like carlsson said now playing in the High Score Club along with Sector Wars if anyone wants to wet their feet before next season starts now's the time :waving:

Fantastic game, really enjoyed playing it. I will buy a copy of the final version. I played on my PAL 130XE from 1050 using the abbuc disk version without any problems. Please add a pause key!

Checkout the HSC thread to see how we did. New Season Start's Jan 2021 everyone :waving:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Superb game!!! :thumbsup: I just discovered "Last Squadron" today and played it for the first time some minutes ago. Really a great shooter and alot of fun to play. Great graphics, nice sound-effects (e.g. the explosions) and a top notch playability. The game has everything a nice shooter needs. Good work!

I don't own an Atari-800XL, but luckily it runs also great in emulators like Altirra for example. There should be more shooters like this for the 8bit Ataris.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 7:47 AM, shanti77 said:

How does the unmodified Genesis / MegaDrive controller work, how can I read the second button in it and how to simulate it under Altirra?

I solved it in this way.

Bild.thumb.png.8b65be0c44a3a5f3e677da63582f69fc.png

The normal "Atari Firebutton 1" i mapped to Button 1 of my controller (Joy Button 1) and the "Atari Firebutton 1 with Autofire" i mapped to Button 3 of my controller (Joy Button 3 - Autofire 5).

When i play "Last Squadron" and press/hold Button1 on my joystick, then the heli shoots with the normal weapon and when i now press/hold Button3, it shoots with the special weapon. This is solved now, by using the Altirra's autofire-function together with "Atari Fire1" and from the usage in this game here, it's very similar to having a "Atari Fire2" button on this controller (without having one in reality).  :)

• 3 weeks later...

Typo fixed, though there is someone working on B.S. and someone is doing some musical experimentation around it as well.

The typo's are increasing these days, sadly... at least a you're good natured about it and I had a laugh at the same time. I even re read the thing and missed it!

Some folks treat the declines as an opportunity to do dissertations around them to much applause :)

Don't even bother worry about typo's and the thoughts of others, I'm super prone to doing them and as I get older it seems to have become the norm. If someone wants to as we say in the UK, "Take the mickey" out of a person for their mistakes I can only but promise that they will be exactly the same at some point. 

Typo master and proud!

1 hour ago, snicklin said:

I didn't even realise that there is a level 2, but I just got there with a few strokes of good luck along the way.

Incredible game.

I think there are actually four levels in the ABBUC contest release, and there are going to be even more in the commercial release, IIRC. But I've only made it to level 2 myself, though I have made it to the boss at the end, so I'm getting closer to more level goodness! If only there were a pause feature and possibly a feature to start from higher levels like Space Harrier(though I've only gotten far enough along in it to allow me a level 6 starting point)...hopefully in the final version there will be. I remember making an initial comment about not liking the background music in L.S., but I do like the second level music!

Edited by Gunstar

2 hours ago, Gunstar said:

I think there are actually four levels in the ABBUC contest release, and there are going to be even more in the commercial release, IIRC. But I've only made it to level 2 myself, though I have made it to the boss at the end, so I'm getting closer to more level goodness! If only there were a pause feature and possibly a feature to start from higher levels like Space Harrier(though I've only gotten far enough along in it to allow me a level 6 starting point)...hopefully in the final version there will be. I remember making an initial comment about not liking the background music in L.S., but I do like the second level music!

Four levels! Wow. I have played it a fair bit and have only got past the end of level plane the once. It's a tough fight there.

3 hours ago, Sikor said:

Sooo... What You say about 3 modes of game (normal, arcade and hardcore), 2 players game (on one or two joystick)? New bosses, new enemies? Yes, it is really now in new version ;) More info soon...

Please add a fourth mode: "@Yellow_Man"

Even hardcore will be too easy for him. ;)

7 hours ago, skr said:

Please add a fourth mode: "@Yellow_Man"

Even hardcore will be too easy for him. ;)

Game is tested by @Retroborsuk from retronagazie.eu website. Until this version all games was "too easy" for him too... And, for now - yes, he end this mode, but... Afer few days of training. And now games still has only 4 levels, but it will plane some more ;)

Stay tuned ;)

• Like 1

Curious if anyone here has made it through all 4 levels? If so, is there an ending scene, or does it start over at level 1? I love this game, but it is hard. There are at least half a dozen youtube videos of gameplay.....all but one ends with the person being killed by the boss fight at the end of level 1. In the other video, the person beats the boss and goes on to level 2, and then dies quickly.  I can almost always make it to the first boss, but die every time without killing it.

>If only there were a pause feature and possibly a feature to start from higher levels

I personally wish for an invincible cheat to just get past the boss fights.  But failing that, you can get to see & play higher levels fairly easily. Use the disk explorer option in Altirra. Delete all the files starting with LEVEL0. Then rename all the files named LEVEL1 to LEVEL0. You will start the game on level 2.  Or do the same thing with LEVEL2 or LEVEL3 filenames to start on levels 3 or 4.  (And I still die every time at each levels boss fight)

Here's hoping that any future updates have difficulty options and a level select.

On 11/15/2020 at 12:42 PM, shanti77 said:

Usually I make the title page at the very end, there wasn't enough time for a better title, but in the cartridge version I will definitely work on it.

A nice Attract mode (as seen in Atariblast) would also be a great addition. I always use my Atari games and my big CRT-TV as a room decoration like a lava lamp. ?

• Like 2