IGNORED

Is Sonic Blast for Master System (Brazil) incompatible with a North American Genesis using either the Master System Converter I or II?

NinSEGA

I managed to snag a copy, but it's not booting up on either converter, and I don't have an actual Master System to try it on. I read somewhere that it's either because it's an 8-meg cartridge or only compatible with PAL or Brazilian machines, but the posters on those forums weren't 100% sure and had conflicting info. Does anyone here know for sure?

IMG_20201114_175523477.jpg

EDIT: I tested it out in a Sega Game Gear 2110G using a Master Gear Converter (Model G-233), and it worked perfectly.

Edited by NinSEGA
  • Like 1

as far as I know the master system is region free. It is possible that it won't play through a converter since a couple games don't. I would try giving it one last good cleaning. Sometimes I think I have cleaned a game well but I try again and it isn't. If you still can't get it to work I would be happy to test it for you on my master system. I actually would like a copy for myself as well.

8 minutes ago, stringfellow said:

as far as I know the master system is region free. It is possible that it won't play through a converter since a couple games don't. I would try giving it one last good cleaning. Sometimes I think I have cleaned a game well but I try again and it isn't. If you still can't get it to work I would be happy to test it for you on my master system. I actually would like a copy for myself as well.

I managed to get it to work on my Game Gear 2110G using a Master Gear Converter (Model: G-233)-

Screenshot_20201114-190032~2.png

• 1 month later...

With the bigger Brazilian carts, they won't work on a regular Master System. However, they will work on a Power Base converter (you may need to hit the reset button on the Genesis console to get it to work). I had similar issues with Street Fighter 2 for the Brazilian Master System. And of course, as you experienced, it will work on a Game Gear with the adapter.

1 hour ago, MojoJoJo said:

With the bigger Brazilian carts, they won't work on a regular Master System. However, they will work on a Power Base converter (you may need to hit the reset button on the Genesis console to get it to work). I had similar issues with Street Fighter 2 for the Brazilian Master System. And of course, as you experienced, it will work on a Game Gear with the adapter.

wow good to know. I was considering buying a couple of those. I did get Street Fighter 2 to work on the master system via everdrive though

I've always liked Sonic Blast.  The hate that it gets is so ridiculous, it's just like the other 8-bit Sonic games, just with a different art style.  "Sonic Blast is a horrible game" has just become the accepted canon for the hivemind for some reason.  I'd say the level design is better than most of them, as there's some meat on the bone and you can't just hold right and finish them in 12 seconds.  I would easily call Sonic 2 and Chaos worse than Blast.  I'd probably rather play Blast than Sonic 1 most days.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/14/2020 at 8:01 PM, NinSEGA said:

I managed to snag a copy, but it's not booting up on either converter, and I don't have an actual Master System to try it on. I read somewhere that it's either because it's an 8-meg cartridge or only compatible with PAL or Brazilian machines, but the posters on those forums weren't 100% sure and had conflicting info.

Many people think Brazil used the same PAL system as Europe that had 50hz for the speed, but here we used PAL-M, ran at 60Hz but with a different color pallete.

On 7/15/2022 at 9:52 PM, M-S said:

Many people think Brazil used the same PAL system as Europe that had 50hz for the speed, but here we used PAL-M, ran at 60Hz but with a different color pallete.

I believe I read that if I had a different bios version it might work. Either way it is cool to have in my collection. I have played a couple of the incompatible games using an everdrive