IGNORED

Reasonable price for Mcwill upgrade,?

Paranoia Dragon

41 minutes ago, Paranoia Dragon said:

What is a reasonable price for the Mcwill upgrade with VGA out? There's someone on eBay offering it for $225 + $15 shipping. That seems a bit much. Any thoughts?

Where are you located (country) and what variant of the Lynx? I think it's probably about right, depending on the care/workmanship. Do you have to supply the McWill kit?

There is a well-known member here that does the upgrade.  Mine didn't go so well.  It took him forever and it only lasted 3 or 4 months.  I just recently opened it up and looked at his workmanship.  Not pretty.  So be careful.  For that reason (a loss of a previously good-working Lynx II, I will leave mine alone.  I think there is going to be a drop-in option soon from the Aussie fellow.  No VGA out however.  With the cost of the McWill screen, labor, etc., I think the Pocket Analogue (when and it releases with the Lynx adapter) is not too costly after all.  That is probably the direction I am leaning at the moment.  That and trying to keep my existing Lynxes going. 

1 hour ago, gilsaluki said:

There is a well-known member here that does the upgrade.  Mine didn't go so well.  It took him forever and it only lasted 3 or 4 months.  I just recently opened it up and looked at his workmanship.  Not pretty.  So be careful.  For that reason (a loss of a previously good-working Lynx II, I will leave mine alone.  I think there is going to be a drop-in option soon from the Aussie fellow.  No VGA out however.  With the cost of the McWill screen, labor, etc., I think the Pocket Analogue (when and it releases with the Lynx adapter) is not too costly after all.  That is probably the direction I am leaning at the moment.  That and trying to keep my existing Lynxes going. 

A drop in option? I wasn't aware that BennVenn was working on any other LCD kits for the Lynx other than for the Model 1 units? BennVenn kits are also really nice even if they don't have the VGA out. I have both kits installed in two different Lynx units and been very happy with both. Also, have you thought about having that Lynx II looked at by another?

30 minutes ago, Paranoia Dragon said:

What is the Pocket Analog?

The Pocket Analogue was announced earlier this year -- the pre-sale sold out in minutes. Two considerations: it's not yet on sale to the general public, and some have questioned if the planned Lynx cartridge attachment/adapter will either work and/or be available next year. And not me! I'm just the messenger here.

One more point: the total cost of the Pocket Analogue, with Lynx adapter and docking station, won't be that much less than a McWill'd unit with VGA output. 

11 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

The Pocket Analogue was announced earlier this year -- the pre-sale sold out in minutes. Two considerations: it's not yet on sale to the general public, and some have questioned if the planned Lynx cartridge attachment/adapter will either work and/or be available next year. And not me! I'm just the messenger here.

One more point: the total cost of the Pocket Analogue, with Lynx adapter and docking station, won't be that much less than a McWill'd unit with VGA output. 

Price point for the P.A. w/Lynx Adapter, docking station will be in line with the McWill'd (recapped, powerline fix) w/VGA out Lynx.  That is my point.  I suggest NOT McWilling and wait for wait seems like a unit that will have far more capability at the same price point.  Leave a perfectly working Lynx alone. I got McBurned on my modded Lynx. 

1 hour ago, gilsaluki said:

Price point for the P.A. w/Lynx Adapter, docking station will be in line with the McWill'd (recapped, powerline fix) w/VGA out Lynx.  That is my point.  I suggest NOT McWilling and wait for wait seems like a unit that will have far more capability at the same price point.  Leave a perfectly working Lynx alone. I got McBurned on my modded Lynx. 

I know you had a bad experience with this but it is also known that there are a LOT of Lynx units out there with McWill kits in them and I've not heard of any issues like the ones you described. Honestly if the power components are refreshed out and the caps replaced and the McWill kit has been installed properly it should work for a very long time without issues. The only issue the McWill is likely to cause is that the batteries will likely drain at the same rate they always did or possibly even quicker but I've not measured this myself as I only play my Lynx on AC power.

Still, the point is that the McWill and BennVenn LCD solutions are excellent choices for upgrading the Lynx display and enjoying the games once more. Have you reached out to who did the work on your Lynx to see if they can look at it and possibly get it going for you again?

• Like 1

I would like to go for it, including getting the caps replaced. And I want the VGA mounted where the brightness dial goes. Also, you may as well order the Mcwill & have it sent to you, that seems like the easiest route to go.

The best day for me to ship my Lynx is on Thursdays, as that is my day off although I don't think there's any mail service on this particular Thursday. I think I have a box that will fit the Lynx. Do you have any recommendations on how much I should insure the Lynx for when shipping it? I think Priority comes with $50 insurance but that doesn't seem like enough to me.