IGNORED

Chase

The palette registers are write-only, so you can't pull info from them. You'll either need to cheat and use a debugger to peer at the memory locations those registers are at, or save the values you're about to stick in the palette registers right as you set them, and then dump the variables using plotvalue.

[edit] one more handy tip. In a7800 you can advance frame by frame by hitting SHIFT+p over and over again.

• Thanks 1

On 12/8/2020 at 4:32 AM, Karl G said:

Edit: nevermind; I was too late on this one. :P

I've been wondering what the first post was everyday since I saw this, it's keeping me up at night, cruel..

Is there some formula for calculating the fixed point increments for moving the same speed x and y?

And how do people make music and sound effects?

[edit] nevermind; I re-posted Karl's original response, but now I'm not so sure you can handle it, so I've removed it. ( ͡ᵔ ͜ʖ ͡ᵔ )

10 hours ago, Lillapojkenpåön said:

Is there some formula for calculating the fixed point increments for moving the same speed x and y?

And how do people make music and sound effects?

The ratio of width to height of 160 mode pixels is 1.714. So vertical movement of 1 pixels/time-unit would cover the same visual distance as 0.58 pixels/time-unit in the horizontal. The same math actually holds true for 320 modes too, since horizontal movement for those modes is still on a 160 pixel grid.

For sfx, have a look at the bundled soundtest sample. Or have a look at the thread with the same utility, which has a link for playing the sounds online via JS7800. It's pretty easy to take the existing sounds and tweak them. The sfx format is pretty easy.

For TIA music, I use the 7800basic integrated tracker. It's MML based, so a natural fit for coders. See the guide and the bundled trackertest sample if you're interested in that route.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

EXCLUSIVE WORLD PREMIERE OF CHASE!

Happy New Year! ZeroPage Homebrew has the Exclusive WORLD Premiere of Chase on tonight's (Thu Dec 31) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 2AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 6