IGNORED

Sierra's Space Quest on the TI!

Vorticon

On 11/15/2020 at 9:59 PM, Vorticon said:

I got an email today from a gentleman named Martin Mangold who apparently programmed an abridged version of Sierra Online's Space Quest in assembly, graphics and all! I have not had a chance to test it extensively yet, but it comes on 3 disks and seems to work beautifully. Amazing job!

One of those "had to see first". Wow! He did a great job. Wish it were more than a demo.

On 11/16/2020 at 10:01 AM, acadiel said:

Yeah, the hooks would all have to be changed - from loading DV/80 files with data to "bank to certain bank, copy/read data from there".  Different routines.

Should we invent a cartridge ROM read only storage DSR ROM for the side port?  LOL.  

I've written replacement DSRLNKs that read from cart in the past, that's the nice side of the TI's device-independent nature (all the IO tends to happen through the same function). This system would obviously have many more files to track, but at least there's only one patch to make. ;)

On 11/16/2020 at 10:29 AM, InsaneMultitasker said:

Good point re: protection.  My thinking is that it could be helpful to share our knowledge (constructively!) with the author that created the disk and if the issues were not intended as copy protection, there may be a tool they and others are using that needs to be fixed.   For all we know, the authors ran into this problem and worked around it in code.

I wonder if he developed it under Classic99... older versions had byte swap issues in the FIAD handling. The documentation notes that using the arrow keys to move requires you to press enter to be able to type commands again, and that sounds a lot like the keyboard/joystick simulation conflict bugs that (as far as I know) I resolved a few years ago. (Pressing Enter in Classic99 clears any stuck metakeys ;) ).

• Like 1

Thanks for all the comments in this topic.  I am very happy to see that I am not the only one who likes Space Quest ?

It was great fun to program the game. So I hope you enjoy it. 

I assume most of you do not know me unless you joint a regional TI99 meeting in Germany in the last 5 years.

One of the topics here was about the countdown. Just type in the command <count>. The countdown will be displayed in the first line.

Type <count> again to hide it.

Another easter egg, if you are interested in maximum speed of the game. There are the commands <slow>, <normal>, <fast> and <warp>.

With <warp> the delay loop is set to zerro. But the time you do not move the character, the countdown will run pretty fast.

Just contact me if you find bugs or need some help.

Have fun with the game,

Martin

• Like 10
  • Thanks 11

21 hours ago, Tursi said:

I wonder if he developed it under Classic99... older versions had byte swap issues in the FIAD handling. The documentation notes that using the arrow keys to move requires you to press enter to be able to type commands again, and that sounds a lot like the keyboard/joystick simulation conflict bugs that (as far as I know) I resolved a few years ago. (Pressing Enter in Classic99 clears any stuck metakeys ;) ).

Yes, you are right. I use an older version of classic99 from 2011. It would be nice to get an hint about a newer version w/o the keyboard bug.

I tested the game also with win994a. And it runs fine on my original TI and ramdisk. With 5 1/4'' disks patience is needed.

Files _H are ascii header files for the images. File _H just give number of pixel and filename of pattern table (_P) and color table (_C) of the image.

Should be no problem to view it with TI99Dir or modify it with any ascii editor.

• Like 4