IGNORED

5200 Asteroids needs more controller "dead zone"

BIGHMW

I am frustrated while playing Asteroids, at both the CX52 5200 controller and yes even the 7800 (CX24) stick as well, they work great but they are both too sensitive, I use the 7800 stick with my Redemption 5200 and it seems that at the slightest touch you inadvertently activate the shield/go into hyperspace or thrust as well as the left and right are off-center and too sensitive, so I was wondering if somebody like either @playsoft or @Wrathchild could come up with a fix so I can have more control over what I do with my ship, I never have this kind of problem with any other Asteroids-type games, such as the most-recently-ported 5200 version of Star Island, or of course, Meteorites.

The controls need more of an analog "dead zone" in the center so I don't thrust or activate the shields by accident, they also need to be more centered when it comes to the rotation left/right, only after some maneuvers was I able to get some kind of "normal" on the stick when it came to that but not as much with the control of my ship. Asteroids is quite great but it could be improved when it can to the controls, but I don't want to ditch Big Sexy now that I have a 65XE and can play Asteroids on it, the 5200 has too many great (and even exclusive) games to do that, even though we now know that not all 8-bit games can be ported to her.

The 5200 port is included so if anybody wants to clean it up, control-wise, by adding more dead-zone to it they can do so.

Asteroids.bin

Edited by BIGHMW
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone come up with a solution yet??? I don't want to ditch the 5200 (and Castle Blast and Tempest, among other great games not available on the 8-bit) because of a serious bug like this, this could make or break my loyalty towards Big Sexy. All it needs is more dead zone in between directional control and/or accidental shield/thrust activation. As for the idea brought up the post before this one, I don't have any PC controllers so I hope someone can come up with a fix for the stock CX52 or even the CX24 hooked up to my 7800 Redemption 5200 adapter, meanwhile I have much better results on my 65XE/XEGS and the 8-bit port of Asteroids (I actually broke the 10,000 point bonus numerous times) than I do on my 5200 version. Perhaps maybe someone can port the 8-bit version over so it'll make it easier to play it on Big Sexy once it is converted, so here it is. 

Asteroids.xex

Edited by BIGHMW

23 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

Anyone come up with a solution yet??? I don't want to ditch the 5200 (and Castle Blast and Tempest, among other great games not available on the 8-bit) because of a serious bug like this, this could make or break my loyalty towards Big Sexy. All it needs is more dead zone in between directional control and/or accidental shield/thrust activation. As for the idea brought up the post before this one, I don't have any PC controllers so I hope someone can come up with a fix for the stock CX52 or even the CX24 hooked up to my 7800 Redemption 5200 adapter, meanwhile I have much better results on my 65XE/XEGS and the 8-bit port of Asteroids (I actually broke the 10,000 point bonus numerous times) than I do on my 5200 version. Perhaps maybe someone can port the 8-bit version over so it'll make it easier to play it on Big Sexy once it is converted, so here it is. 

Asteroids.xex 8.07 kB · 1 download

Dude. What have people been telling you? Please stop pestering people about this. Are you gonna pay for the work? If not, stop. Let’s enjoy some games!

• Like 5

On 12/21/2020 at 12:17 AM, BIGHMW said:

Asteroids.xex 8.07 kB · 1 download

So you are considering ditching the 5200 because of a dead zone issue from an asteroids game that's not even an official release?  C'mon man. To me, you're not a true 5200 fan if you're doing that.  Asking someone to work for free for your benefit isn't cool man.  This has been already discussed.  Be considerate and thankful what's already been done.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, phuzaxeman said:

So you are considering ditching the 5200 because of a dead zone issue from an asteroids game that's not even an official release?  C'mon man. To me, you're not a true 5200 fan if you're doing that.  Asking someone to work for free for your benefit isn't cool man.  This has been already discussed.  Be considerate and thankful what's already been done.  

Please don't do this.  Hopefully he'll ditch all of his Atari collection and then the forums.  I kid.  Or do I?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Please don't do this.  Hopefully he'll ditch all of his Atari collection and then the forums.  I kid.  Or do I?

I hear all of you, and I'm not going anywhere or doing anything to encourage either myself or any of you to consider ill will against either myself or any of you. I do realize I need to let everything be whatever it is and just get along with all of you guys, one thing I just CANNOT do is alienate any of my fellow Atarians with my comments.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, BIGHMW said:

I hear all of you, and I'm not going anywhere or doing anything to encourage either myself or any of you to consider ill will against either myself or any of you. I do realize I need to let everything be whatever it is and just get along with all of you guys, one thing I just CANNOT do is alienate any of my fellow Atarians with my comments.

Ya I'm gonna call total BS on that one. Your (now deleted) facebook postings from at least December 10th paint a totally different picture than that. You are a disturbed individual with negative intentions. It's only your lack of means or ability to follow through on such threats of negativity towards others that prevents your true intent from coming to pass. You can't pretend otherwise. Here is hoping you don't go cowardly running to your "legion" (as you call it) to encourage them to attack any of the people of AtariAge (again) in any manor who have spoke out against your non-sense ramblings in any of the many threads your participation has polluted. Shame on you.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, BIGHMW said:

It's not even about getting along with others.  It's about your communication to the programmers and being respectful to their work.  You're requesting work to be done on a game without paying and that's not good. 

• Like 1

Yeah, he was just rambling on a week or two ago about some other game, demanding that some 5200 port be made, or maybe it was wanting a 5200 title ported to the 8-bit, I forget. The point is that he rambles on, demanding this and that, for days, then seems to come to his senses and realize how ridiculous he's being, sort of apologize and stop, only to start a few days later with some new but  similar topic. I think the guy has some serious issues. I get sick of seeing his posts but, at the same time, I can't help myself. I see him getting started and I go pop some popcorn and get ready for the show to start.

Michael-Jackson-Popcorn-GIF-Meme-Eating-Popcorn-Featured-StudioBinder.thumb.jpg.44c845efe3c675be5a0fcc4db5d51ea6.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BIGHMW said:

See that is the problem, these words do not match your actions. if you MEAN IT then just STOP. What you call "lobbying" most would call pestering, it's tiresome. You may have taken it jokingly but literally the link SHAWN keeps posting for you is where you need to post (IF YOU MUST) all these ideas/dreams/wishes/wants that you have,

here it is AGAIN https://atariage.com/forums/topic/82555-to-all-non-programmer-idea-peddlers/ THAT is the thread for people with all the "ideas" but with either no skill or desire to attempt do it themselves. And by THAT I mean drop your idea there and just WAIT, don't bump it constantly looking for updates / results, either it will be considered OR NOT. 

12 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

I get sick of seeing his posts but, at the same time, I can't help myself. I see him getting started and I go pop some popcorn and get ready for the show to start.

He does, BY HIS OWN ADMISSION though stated in a different way, which is fine, but the excuses only go so far when he is constantly being told over and over to cut it out or submit his ideas through the proper channels. Honestly I've no desire to see him banned or put in a time out but he is wearing out his welcome quickly so I hope he heeds the advice that has been given, maybe take some deep breaths and just take a step back. I actually appreciate his enthusiasm, it's clear how passionate he is about it all but I would hate him to burn bridges that take him to what may be one of the few things he truly enjoys. 

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
update
  • Like 1

No offense, but talking to this guy is like talking to a brick wall.  He's incapable of learning or changing his behaviour.  This is at least the 7th or 8th time something like this has come up.  Responding to him is a waste of time, reading his posts is a waste of time.  No more excuses from him about being retarded, on medication, whatever. He's lucid enough to realize he acts like an asshole at times, but he keeps doing it over and over.  Therefore, I say he's an asshole and thanks to he magic of forum software, this mental midget is now on ignore.  Problem solved.

• Like 1

I didn't know that the "non-programmer idea peddlers thread" was in fact a serious forum, I always assumed that Shawn put it up either to show me up or that it was some kind of unfunny joke. I didn't that they (the game programmers) take it seriously enough to consider ideas on it like fixing controls on certain titles or whatever. I'll use that from now on now that I know that it is a serious thread and not someway of putting me down or a "call out" thread, but thanks! :)  I hope you guys are right.

1 hour ago, BIGHMW said:

I didn't know that the "non-programmer idea peddlers thread" was in fact a serious forum, I always assumed that Shawn put it up either to show me up or that it was some kind of unfunny joke. I didn't that they (the game programmers) take it seriously enough to consider ideas on it like fixing controls on certain titles or whatever. I'll use that from now on now that I know that it is a serious thread and not someway of putting me down or a "call out" thread, but thanks! :)  I hope you guys are right.

You said, "I am frustrated while playing Asteroids..."  Was your OP not a serious comment or were you joking?  Then you say "this could make or break my loyalty towards Big Sexy" if someone doesn't fix the asteroids controls.  I mean aren't you the one that started this "serious thread?"  I'm confused.  

1 hour ago, phuzaxeman said:

You said, "I am frustrated while playing Asteroids..."  Was your OP not a serious comment or were you joking?  Then you say "this could make or break my loyalty towards Big Sexy" if someone doesn't fix the asteroids controls.  I mean aren't you the one that started this "serious thread?"  I'm confused.  

He is referring to a different thread (see below) , not THIS one, it is a thread that has been suggested to him a couple times by Shawn and most recently by myself in my last reply to him in this thread as the place for him to drop all his ideas / dreams / wishes instead of starting separate ones in various places of the forum.  It was a thread more suitable for his....requests. It was started back in 2006 by a totally different member for the specific purpose of having a single place for such things. 

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

He is referring to a different thread (see below) , not THIS one, it is a thread that has been suggested to him a couple times by Shawn and most recently by myself in my last reply to him in this thread as the place for him to drop all his ideas / dreams / wishes instead of starting separate ones in various places of the forum.  It was a thread more suitable for his....requests. It was started back in 2006 by a totally different member for the specific purpose of having a single place for such things. 

And so there isn't 10 threads by the same person asking for other people to program games for him on the first page of not only the programming sections but the open console specific sub forums like this one. It was just a short while ago there where no less then 10 threads by that guy on the first page all dedicated to e-begging for games to be made. That is just the tip of the iceberg too. We would only be so lucky if the limits of his pollution was limited to such things, alas, it's far worse.

@OSG:  Merry Ho Ho, Rob, Thinking of you ol' friend :) Love the kitty avatar with that sweet, sweet sweater :)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Shawn said:

@OSG:  Merry Ho Ho, Rob, Thinking of you ol' friend :) Love the kitty avatar with that sweet, sweet sweater :)

Thank you man, that avatar, someone else, Scott on Facebook aka Corporal Coleco on Youtube sent me that and as a joke I used it as my Facebook profile pic, since then one lady in particular will even message me within a couple months of Christmas asking "Is it time yet? is it time for the Christmas cat sweater pic?" ? ah hell, who knows what makes people happy, if that stupid pic brings even a slight grin to her so be it, I set it every year now ? Have a great holiday and hope we all get back to a shred of normality in 2021 (not TOO normal though ?

• Thanks 1