IGNORED

Classic Gaming With Your Kids

MrBeefy

So had a fun weekend where I semi got to relax and play some games. What was even more fun was I got to play some with my son. I have an old PC that runs MAME and so we tried Galaxian.

He can't control things very well. BUT what was way more fun was watching/listening to him laugh and cackle when the enemy ships made a noise and started dropping.

20201115_223409.thumb.jpg.ba8440dce005beba76d7184af2efbb03.jpg

I'm going to have to fit this into dad and son time. Once a week find one old game we can sit and laugh at playing. Be it MAME, 2600, etc.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have any new enough images I could care to upload and then stuff on here, but I do.  She loves to use my Neo Geo off and on, in particular bust a move 2 and then league bowling more than any others.  She also has enjoyed using my old 8/16bit Nintendo stuff so I ended up getting her the classic editions of both for her room.  She had a GBC I got her as her first, but then ended up with a DS (broken gone now) and she kept a few games for the GB/C but sold it to get a Switch. I let her use a spare GBA SP of mine if she wants to use the old stuff she retained.  So there is an appreciation there, not a picky kid when it comes to using real controls or a touch panel, or if the copyright is 20th or 21st century either.

• Like 1

When it comes to retro gaming, most of my step kids really aren't into it.  They try them for a bit but get bored quickly.  DS is about as old as the 8-on-up crowd goes, but one of my step sons is having a "nostalgic pang" for Star Wars : Battlefront, which he played when he was a kid (5 years ago, he's 15) on PS 2. I happen to have that game on Xbox so he's been asking for that but I have no where to set it up on "video game night".  That same step son DID show interest in Goldeneye for the N64, which I haven't had a chance to play with him in as my wife wants her "husband/wife murder show nights" back as she's done performing in her theater show.  My daughter, while brought up on classic gaming prior to divorce, is more of a modern gamer with bouts of Roblox and what not.  She does get a bit nostalgic when she sees Super Mario 64.

My younger step kids and my son, that's a different story.  While my "Super Noodle Brothers" (my 4 year old son and his 5 and 8 year old brothers, probably would, if you grab their heads and pick them up, have their bodies wiggle uncontrollably like a bunch of noodles) will love to play Super Smash Bros on the Wii U or Minecraft, they do play older games from time to time.  The 5 year old will play Super Mario Land from time to time and the 8 year old will fire up Super Mario Advance.  My 4 year old son, however, will prefer to play Bubble Bobble any way he can get it or Kirby's Adventure.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2020 at 7:40 PM, Tanooki said:

I don't have any new enough images I could care to upload and then stuff on here, but I do.  She loves to use my Neo Geo off and on, in particular bust a move 2 and then league bowling more than any others.  She also has enjoyed using my old 8/16bit Nintendo stuff so I ended up getting her the classic editions of both for her room.  She had a GBC I got her as her first, but then ended up with a DS (broken gone now) and she kept a few games for the GB/C but sold it to get a Switch. I let her use a spare GBA SP of mine if she wants to use the old stuff she retained.  So there is an appreciation there, not a picky kid when it comes to using real controls or a touch panel, or if the copyright is 20th or 21st century either.

How old is she?

My daughter is just about to turn 3, so she's a little young to really "get" video games but she does enjoy pushing the button to throw the ball on Atari 2600 Bowling.  

Another thing she loves is Knuckles from the Sonic the Hedgehog games.  She took a liking to a small Knuckles doll that I got second hand, and then she was blown away when I showed her the character on the TV screen in the Genesis game.  She can't play the games obviously, but she will sit still and watch them.  There is this one video on Youtube that basically shows gameplay from a wide range of Knuckles video games from through the years for an hour straight, and she has watched that video more times than I can count.  

Before she was born (and without knowing sex) I painted a bunch of characters around her bedroom.  I wanted to include one video-game-related picture, so I decided to group Mario, the Princess, and Sonic together for a group shot where Sonic trolls Mario with rabbit ears.  My daughter took a while to see the connection between Knuckles and this image but now she likes Sonic too.  

Untitled picture.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cynicaster said:

My daughter is just about to turn 3, so she's a little young to really "get" video games but she does enjoy pushing the button to throw the ball on Atari 2600 Bowling.  

Another thing she loves is Knuckles from the Sonic the Hedgehog games.  She took a liking to a small Knuckles doll that I got second hand, and then she was blown away when I showed her the character on the TV screen in the Genesis game.  She can't play the games obviously, but she will sit still and watch them.  There is this one video on Youtube that basically shows gameplay from a wide range of Knuckles video games from through the years for an hour straight, and she has watched that video more times than I can count.  

Before she was born (and without knowing sex) I painted a bunch of characters around her bedroom.  I wanted to include one video-game-related picture, so I decided to group Mario, the Princess, and Sonic together for a group shot where Sonic trolls Mario with rabbit ears.  My daughter took a while to see the connection between Knuckles and this image but now she likes Sonic too.  

Untitled picture.jpg

That's awesome!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
17 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Haven't posted to this for awhile but we found a new favorite. Xevious on the 7800.

Music, shooting, and CRASH (death sound favorite part).

20210211_181843.jpg

Very cool.  The 7800 is a good system.  I positively love Basketbrawl.  Fun damn game.  On my end the boy and I played Soul Calibur and Dynamite Cop on the Dreamcast.  We had a nice time and he enjoyed the action and the graphics.  He is not the biggest fan of any 8 bit systems, but does love SNES.  Take care and keep the fun going!

• Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 11:28 AM, Hwlngmad said:

Very cool.  The 7800 is a good system.  I positively love Basketbrawl.  Fun damn game.  On my end the boy and I played Soul Calibur and Dynamite Cop on the Dreamcast.  We had a nice time and he enjoyed the action and the graphics.  He is not the biggest fan of any 8 bit systems, but does love SNES.  Take care and keep the fun going!

Soul Caliber was a great game. I don't want to rush him getting older, but it will be fun to get to play some of those.

You should try Goof Troop on SNES. It was one of the few SNES games my mom would play with us kids.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2021 at 5:17 PM, MrBeefy said:

Soul Caliber was a great game. I don't want to rush him getting older, but it will be fun to get to play some of those.

You should try Goof Troop on SNES. It was one of the few SNES games my mom would play with us kids.

My son is 11, so needless to say fighting games and/or FPS do hold an interest for him now, although I don't allow him to play and violent games such as Doom, Mortal Kombat, etc.  Also, thanks for the recommendation.  I appreciate it.  I will have to check that one out soon.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hwlngmad said:

My son is 11, so needless to say fighting games and/or FPS do hold an interest for him now, although I don't allow him to play and violent games such as Doom, Mortal Kombat, etc.  Also, thanks for the recommendation.  I appreciate it.  I will have to check that one out soon.

If there's any interest in racing games. Uniracers can be fun two player. Be ready to earn some blisters though.

• Like 1