IGNORED

Driver for 24AAXXX EEPPROM mounted on karri's carts

Nop90

31 minutes ago, LX.NET said:

Who is the owner of newcc65? It would be good to also have that in a public place (as stated in the dev-containers thread as well). Is that yours, @42bs and would you be willing to host it in your GitHub repo?

I think there is no "owner". My understandig is, that @karri took the one from my page and fixed/improved it. I did not even try to compile it for years.

• 3 years later...
Posted (edited)

I reopen this old thread to inform the other developers that Dragonbox decided to produce, and soon also to sell, carts with a 24AA256 chip onboard (32KBytes of memory).

These cart will be used for the phisical release of Starblader. I got the news only today and now I'm changing the code of the game to support this chip.

This is an opportunity to start developing games that saves more data, I think that a new RPG game could benefit from this, but also other project, e.g. @LX.NET  could be interested to these carts to save more custom levels of Circuit Dude.

Edited by Nop90
  • Like 2

There Is a problem with Dragonbox carts, they decided to use A18 for the SCL line instead of A1 or A0.

Weird decision because this requires a more complex handling of IODIR and IODAT to drive the I2C line.

Does someone want to help me to customize the driver to support this configuration?

14 minutes ago, Nop90 said:

There Is a problem with Dragonbox carts, they decided to use A18 for the SCL line instead of A1 or A0.

Weird decision because this requires a more complex handling of IODIR and IODAT to drive the I2C line.

Do they use 2k blocks then? You need to select block 128 for SCL high and any < 128 for SCL low.

Block select routine is in the ROM, so should be easy do do.

9 minutes ago, 42bs said:

Do they use 2k blocks then? You need to select block 128 for SCL high and any < 128 for SCL low.

Block select routine is in the ROM, so should be easy do do.

This is slow, i would initialize the higher 8 bits of the high part of the cart address with 01010101 then at every clock strobe I would shift in a 0 and then a 1.

This should be a better driving of the SCL line.

Ps: for me A18 is the highest address line, since Epyx jumped a number in the official documents, it's called A19 sometimes

• Like 1