IGNORED

Ms. Pac-Man Arcade vs. Port

I've been waiting to do this for awhile.  I'm not sure why... Anyways, arguably the best maze game ever.  Honestly, this is one game were I would say 95% of the ports do it justice, including some of the clones.  What do you think?  Let me know.  Also, any other Arcade vs Ports you would like me to do? 

Ugh...sorry I can't watch that.  Between the Che shirt and talking to a puppet it was a bit much.  I've played various versions of it over the years, not a majority, but i will say the NES version that Tengen did was nothing short of stunning.  You have that original mode, then you have like the speed hack chip mode, then different map and display types, tiny, etc.  It's a lot for the value there, and it looks close to the original too unlike Pac-Man with its strange colors.

13 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Ugh...sorry I can't watch that.  Between the Che shirt and talking to a puppet it was a bit much.  I've played various versions of it over the years, not a majority, but i will say the NES version that Tengen did was nothing short of stunning.  You have that original mode, then you have like the speed hack chip mode, then different map and display types, tiny, etc.  It's a lot for the value there, and it looks close to the original too unlike Pac-Man with its strange colors.

My channel isn't for everyone. Anyways, the only one i didnt do was the Ms Pac plug and play. It's got 5 games in it. I wish i knew how to get the footage off it. It was my moms as she was a big Ms. PacMan fan. We used to have contests on trying to beat each other's top scores. When I play Ms. PacMan I think about her sometimes. 

• Like 1

Kind of funny to see this video today; coincidentally, about 4-5 days ago I was up late going through my console emulators and playing multiple versions of Ms. Pac back to back.  It's hard to get a really good feel for how the different versions compare simply by memory, so playing them one right after the other is pretty informative.  

Based on that exercise, my conclusion is that the availability of MAME renders the ports obsolete.  The game just works best as an arcade game with the fixed/vertical screen. 

But, if I must play a port, give me one of the older 8-bit era ones, any day of the week.  I don't say that out of some "older = better" dogma or whatever; I say it because Pac-Man games are inherently all about the gameplay, so little graphical enhancements don't make them any better.  I don't give a shit how many additional colors the sprites have, but one thing is for sure: Ms. Pac Man with a scrolling maze sucks my nutsack. 

I mean, I guess I understand why it was done, to open up higher resolution possbilities for the sprites in relation to the maze or whatever.  The Lynx version tries to go the fixed screen route but looks like complete dump as a result.  

That's why I like the Atari 8-bit, Atari 7800, and a few of those older versions.  The graphics are more than "good enough" for a game of Pac-Man and the screens don't scroll.  My main gripe with the older versions is the sound effects.  The real arcade sound effects are a very important aspect of the experience, IMO.  

• Like 1

I can still enjoy Ms Pac on 2600, 5200. But I also can't stand scrolling mazes like on Genesis version. 

I play Ms Pac on my PS4 all the time. The control with the dpad causes me to die inadvertently a lot however, it's like she has a mind of her own sometimes. Also there seems to be an unfair collision bug with the fruit, if I try to eat it as it enters the exit tunnel, the game doesn't register the collision and Ms Pac travels right through the fruit.   I must be a complete dunce at this game , I have yet to reach the 4th maze layout. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VectorGamer said:

I still enjoy playing the 2600 version of Ms. Pac on my Retropie.

It’s definitely one of my fave versions as well, but I didn’t mention it because it’s the version I grew up playing and I struggle to judge it objectively. All the others are essentially new to me in my adult years.  

1 hour ago, classicgamer74 said:

I've wanted to look into Retropie, can you recommend anyone who could help me get started on that? 

If you have a half decent grasp of how to use a computer you should be able to get up and running with retropie pretty easily.  Just buy the kit and google for a tutorial.  I got mine up and running in about a half hour.  

16 hours ago, classicgamer74 said:

I've wanted to look into Retropie, can you recommend anyone who could help me get started on that? 

I bought a Canakit off of Amazon. I would recommend getting a large SD card though - someone told me all I needed was 32-GB and then when I started adding PS1 games I had to buy a larger card and copy everything over. I already had Xbox 360 controllers, so all I needed to add was the receiver for them. When all was said and done, I have like over 10,000 games for under $200.

https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-8GB-Extreme-Kit/dp/B08B6F1FV5/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3BW4BTUX6JMGY&dchild=1&keywords=canakit+raspberry+pi+4&qid=1605800445&sprefix=canakit%2Caps%2C186&sr=8-4