IGNORED

New PLATOTERM 1.4 for #FujiNet Users

tschak909

• 3 months later...

I was just trying out Platoterm 1.4 on Fujinet last evening. It was my first time using Platoterm at all.

I started off by doing the HELP (H) key and went into the 'Introduction to keyboard and function keys' tutorial. But when I got to the part of the tutorial, on page 4 or 5 where you have to do SUPER and SUB numbers that need to be entered correctly to continue, I discovered that the CONTROL-Y combination for a SUB does not work. The CONTROL-P combination for an SUPER does work. I don't know if that means the SUB-key CONTROL-Y combination doesn't work on Platoterm 1.4 at all or if it is a bug in the HELP tutorial or not. I just thought I should point it out and guessed it's a 1.4 issue and this would be the place to make it known.

Is there a different, proper thread for Platoterm to point out issues or ask questions? I still need to watch the video above, I may find some answers in it.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
On 2/28/2021 at 3:37 PM, Gunstar said:

I was just trying out Platoterm 1.4 on Fujinet last evening. It was my first time using Platoterm at all.

I started off by doing the HELP (H) key and went into the 'Introduction to keyboard and function keys' tutorial. But when I got to the part of the tutorial, on page 4 or 5 where you have to do SUPER and SUB numbers that need to be entered correctly to continue, I discovered that the CONTROL-Y combination for a SUB does not work. The CONTROL-P combination for an SUPER does work. I don't know if that means the SUB-key CONTROL-Y combination doesn't work on Platoterm 1.4 at all or if it is a bug in the HELP tutorial or not. I just thought I should point it out and guessed it's a 1.4 issue and this would be the place to make it known.

Is there a different, proper thread for Platoterm to point out issues or ask questions? I still need to watch the video above, I may find some answers in it.

It's not working on any of the tutorials, the versions on the TNFS servers are all the same in that regard, on one part of the tutorials you can sort of cheat by doing Shifted CONTROL-Y and doing Shifted CONTROL-P 2 time or so... and it will so it's ok and let you keep going.

On another one of the lessons, that technique won't work, it expects the exact key usage for an ok you can continue result.

The interrupt driven version does not show help screen when you press OPTION, but the polling version does.

It sort of works, but I can seen how it falls down when doing the more technical lessons because the Sub and Sup are essential for a large swath of lessons. Something so tiny may cause frustration and user base loss because it's frustrating. The point being it's keeping PLATO from doing it's job and letting you learn and enjoy the experience.

If a fix for these cursory observations exists, it hasn't propagated to the FujiNet TNFS servers

Edited by _The Doctor__

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

It's not working on any of the tutorials, the versions on the TNFS servers are all the same in that regard, on one part of the tutorials you can sort of cheat by doing Shifted CONTROL-Y and doing Shifted CONTROL-P 2 time or so... and it will so it's ok and let you keep going.

On another one of the lessons, that technique won't work, it expects the exact key usage for an ok you can continue result.

The interrupt driven version does not show help screen when you press OPTION, but the polling version does.

It sort of works, but I can seen how it falls down when doing the more technical lessons because the Sub and Sup are essential for a large swath of lessons. Something so tiny may cause frustration and user base loss because it's frustrating. The point being it's keeping PLATO from doing it's job and letting you learn and enjoy the experience.

If a fix for these cursory observations exists, it hasn't propagated to the FujiNet TNFS servers

Oh gosh, that is a faulty key mapping, I can fix that.

-Thom

• Like 1

ok, so according to the diag lesson, the SUPER and SHIFT-SUPER keys work as expected. SUB and SHIFT-SUB do not.

The problem has been fixed (a misplaced key definition in key.h); verified in 'diag' and PLATOTERM 1.5 for Atari has been uploaded to apps.irata.online. 

Thank you.

-Thom

Edited by tschak909
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Platoterm polling version is working now, The irq one isn't yet. I suspect you'll propagate the fix to whichever  of the handful of variants that need it.

Yippee we can do our science and chemistry labs now!!

Math lessons are usable too :)

We can learn now :)

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Platoterm polling version is working now, The irq one isn't yet. I suspect you'll propagate the fix to whichever  of the handful of variants that need it.

Yippee we can do our science and chemistry labs now!!

Math lessons are usable too :)

We can learn now :)

What are you referring to? There's only one #FujiNet version, it's in /Comms/ on apps.irata.online, and it uses the PROCEED interrupt to signal when traffic is available. I know, I wrote the damned thing.

-Thom

It's 1995 on the platoserver

Yes, you re wrote it, and more than once ;) . A number of versions that can be used with and without touch support, the modem versions are for use with FujiNet as well. The other versions are used with or without Fujinet, so #FujiNet only versions are not the only ones out there... I'd suspect you know that since the same you did that quote can hold true.

https://irata.online/

I'm happy to see things are getting fixed and improving, the user experience is much better. The little things matter a quite a bit to the end users, we don't know nor should the casual user need to know what lurks beyond what we see on our screen and what the keyboard does. It's a good thing to have folks say what they are experiencing

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

I use ST Mouse & Touch Pad. The nieces like to use use the Track Ball. I prefer they do so it's a win win.

How do I get #FujiNet version PlatoTerm to connect with Cybis (Cyber1), it takes me directly to irata...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

I use ST Mouse & Touch Pad. The nieces like to use use the Track Ball. I prefer they do so it's a win win.

How do I get #FujiNet version PlatoTerm to connect with Cybis (Cyber1), it takes me directly to irata...

The FujiNet version doesn't have a way to specify another host. Can change that though.

-Thom

• Like 1

On 5/9/2023 at 4:17 AM, _The Doctor__ said:

Same here, I like to use ST mouse and Atari Touch Tablet with my 1200XL. Though I've also converted a TRS-80 Coco analog mouse for use with my 800 and anything compatible with the Atari Touch Tablet (as can be seen in my avatar photo and custom 800 blog photos). A simple rewiring job using an Atari controller cable to an Atari controller plug/port's POT and Fire button pins. Outside of gaming, I've only ever used the Atari Track Ball in joystick mode for productivity apps and graphic art apps that only support joysticks for cursor/brush movement. Of course I owned a ST mouse and Atari Touch Tablet before owning an Atari Track-Ball...

Edited by Gunstar