IGNORED

Toys "R" Us VIDPro Display Card .. for Jaguar?

doctorclu

So a question about the VIDPro Display Cards that they used to have at Toys "R" Us.   I've noticed cards for naturally the Playstation, Sega Saturn, Dreamcast, but also as early as the Genesis, Super Nintendo, and Game Boy.

A little more searching I confirm what I remember, seeing VIDpro cards for the Atari 2600 and 7800.   And I remember vividly staring at a card for Beyond Castle Wolfenstein for the Atari 8-bit computers.

Sooo... did Toys "R" Us sell Atari Jaguar games, and has anyone seen any VIDPro cards for any Atari Jaguar games?

Playstation.thumb.jpg.5bdf37c6930ea3a2300e7c45d2b08535.jpg404692887_Ms.Pac-Man.thumb.jpg.cd900dda4704bc5c131e9c24e0482801.jpg

8 hours ago, doctorclu said:

And I remember vividly staring at a card for Beyond Castle Wolfenstein for the Atari 8-bit computers.

I do remember Toys R Us being one of the best places to buy Atari 8-bit computer games in the crash years when other retailers were cutting stock.  I got some games there I never saw anywhere else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zzip said:

I do remember Toys R Us being one of the best places to buy Atari 8-bit computer games in the crash years when other retailers were cutting stock.  I got some games there I never saw anywhere else.

Oh yeh, it was a wild time.  I remember looking at the Atari computer games mainly.  I saw a Super Charger for the Atari 2600 and picked it up for like $10.   Also a remote control joystick set for about as much. 

And I remember seeing the Atari 7800 games (and this is in 1984), and seeing the back of Desert Falcon and Xevious and thinking how surreal it was to see this.  What was this OTHER Atari system?   The graphics were amazing.  I had heard so little about that system, and was so into my Atari computer, where the graphics were just about as good, and didn't look at it much more than that.

Plus by then, I had gotten used to the 5200, which was just basically a repackaged Atari computer, so figured this was something like that.   Plus, I had kinda gotten away from consoles by then.   I still had the 2600, and so the Super Charger was cool and always wanted to try Phaser Patrol and Dragonstomper, but beyond that, downloading games on a BBS was the way to go!   And that Beyond Wolfenstein game really tempted me, and I think I was wondering how I was going to pull the money together to buy it.

So much wonder in that moment, fun to revisit.

And as I walked out I saw an Intellivision keyboard module, which I was like "What the hell?   They'll add anything to an Intellivision".   My friend had an Intellivision, I liked them enough.   Anyway, I just laughed and walked on out with my Super Charger to buy and ride back home the three mile trek on my bike.

52 minutes ago, doctorclu said:

And I remember seeing the Atari 7800 games (and this is in 1984), and seeing the back of Desert Falcon and Xevious and thinking how surreal it was to see this.  What was this OTHER Atari system?   The graphics were amazing.  I had heard so little about that system, and was so into my Atari computer, where the graphics were just about as good, and didn't look at it much more than that.

I remember seeing the 7800 write-up in Electronic Games magazine, so I knew about the system, and the graphics did look amazing for a home system in 1984.

But by the time it got fully rolled out, it didn't quite look so amazing anymore compared to other systems that came out in the meantime.4

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, zzip said:

I remember seeing the 7800 write-up in Electronic Games magazine, so I knew about the system, and the graphics did look amazing for a home system in 1984.

But by the time it got fully rolled out, it didn't quite look so amazing anymore compared to other systems that came out in the meantime.4

I bet for those that bought the 7800 in '84 and had those opening release titles they were very glad to see it released again in '87.

It would be beating a dead horse to go on about how 3 years is an eternity in console years.    Still cool that it did come back and got SOME chance to shine.

• Like 1

What exactly is a "VIDPro card"? Were those the little cards they put on the shelves where you pulled the ticket to purchase the game? Yes, as others have said, Toys R Us sold the Jag. In fact, it was about the only place I could find in Palm Springs that sold Jag games back when I was in the military. TRU was also a good place for me to get XE Game System carts back in the day as well. I'd have to say as far as the chains go, TRU was probably the most loyal one to Atari.

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

What exactly is a "VIDPro card"? Were those the little cards they put on the shelves where you pulled the ticket to purchase the game?

Yeh I believe that is.  Probably the one you would carry over to the cage to hand over for your actual copy of the game.

And it is seeming more and more that there was a run of these for the Jaguar games.   Pretty exciting to think about. 

27 minutes ago, doctorclu said:

Yeh I believe that is.  Probably the one you would carry over to the cage to hand over for your actual copy of the game.

And it is seeming more and more that there was a run of these for the Jaguar games.   Pretty exciting to think about. 

My memory is a bit hazy since this was about 25 years ago, but I don't remember seeing those cards for Jaguar games. The TRU I bought several of my games at had the Jag and their selection of games in a glass display case, and right underneath the display they had the tickets that you brought to the cage. The tickets and the label above them were only text. Of course, this might just be the one that I went to in Palm Springs, no idea if other TRUs had the same thing or not.

12 hours ago, thanatos said:

I don't remember the plastic cards being called anything, so maybe VidPro is correct.  I just remember pulling the paper tag, going to the checkout, and then the cashier would have to announce "Security Pickup" for someone to go get it out of their 'vault' area.

I seem to remember the paper tag too.  It might have been just that simple.

11 hours ago, Mitch said:

I have three of them, but not for the Jag.

Here is one of them: http://www.atari7800.org/museum/F18HornetCard.htm

Mitch

That is really cool.   What are the other two?

I wonder if the company that made the Vidpro cards also made those printout instructions that video rental stores had? Remember renting a game and the rental store could print out a one page instruction sheet for you? I looked for information on the instructions years ago but never found what company sold them. I know they were sold to rental stores on floppy discs.   Anyone else remember those instruction sheets from the rental stores??

Well from what we see here most of these titles are 1993 or early to mid-1994 releases.

But Aliens Vs. Predator was a October 1994 release, and Bubsy a December 1994 release.  So a possible one for the VidPro card collection.

For you Jaguar but non-Bubsy fans out there, well shows there were a two year range of these cards possible.

On 11/21/2020 at 1:06 AM, JagMod said:

vidpros.jpg

• 1 month later...