IGNORED

Lunar Mission 2

Retrospect

MISSION-FMISSIONXB MISSION-G MISSION-E

Here's Lunar Mission 2 

This game was created using Extended Basic, with the XB256 extensions and the Compiler by Harry Wilhelm.  

The files:  

MissionXB - The file that works with Extended Basic

Mission E,F and G - these are for Editor Assembler

The instructions:

Release rescue ship from mothership with Fire button
Descend screen, avoid meteors, use Fire to thrust (slow down) the ship, land on either of the pads to rescue astronauts
Once astronaut has boarded ship, you will ascend the screen towards the mothership
The Meteors have revealed their true identity and changed into UFO's, use Fire to shoot these for 25 points
Hold fire down and you will ascend very quickly!  Be warned - dock centrally with the mothership, and not too fast, too fast and you'll smash through it instead of docking!
Level 3 onwards, a randomly appearing bonus saucer comes on , it flashes different colours, shoot for bonus 100 points
Every two levels you get an extra life
Highest score shown on title screen
Each new level is faster than the last, with a change in colour for the background

Edited by Retrospect
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 5

Nicely done!  It has that old-timey arcade game feel to it.  While I would expect THRUST and FIRE to be separate controls, the thrust delay after firing make it so having the combined control is not encumbering.  I have not once fired and sent myself into a collision.

• Like 3

Added this nice game in the TI99iuc DB also. Thanks Joe!
created a page with description and play-on-line (also in the GameRoom) files for Cart/EA/XB

http://www.ti99iuc.it/web/index.php?pageid=database_cerca&archivioid=341
hope you will like ;) 

Created a cart label also (it is included into the cartridge .zip)

LM2-LabelonCart.thumb.jpg.2cbfa9d0274a786eabf2f7f769fc2063.jpg

Edited by ti99iuc
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi all.

There's two reasons why there's only one action button in Lunar Mission II.  First one is it's largely based upon Taito's Lunar Rescue, and in that game, we only had the one fire button for separate thrust/fire.  Secondly, and the most relevant reason, was memory.  I could of tried to have a feature where you pull down to boost speed on the way back up as well as Fire for player missiles but I didn't have enough left over memory to do this :)

So long as you don't press fire right next to a UFO you should be okay, bare in mind the ship does lurch forward when firing 

• Like 3

I need help (don't laugh), seriously.  It's been so long since I've replicated a 32KB image to 512K to burn into a AT49F040 that I've forgotten how to do it.  I've also seem to have lost my "cheat sheet".  Anyway I want to pull my burner out and make a beige cartridge for this game.  Could someone please post the instructions for the replication?  Thanks!

@ti99iuc great job on the label!

On 11/18/2020 at 8:53 PM, OLD CS1 said:

Nicely done!  It has that old-timey arcade game feel to it.  While I would expect THRUST and FIRE to be separate controls, the thrust delay after firing make it so having the combined control is not encumbering.  I have not once fired and sent myself into a collision.

It'll be cool to have this on the TI, I really like the TRS-80 version.

80 Version.JPG

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Omega-TI said:

I need help (don't laugh), seriously.  It's been so long since I've replicated a 32KB image to 512K to burn into a AT49F040 that I've forgotten how to do it.  I've also seem to have lost my "cheat sheet".  Anyway I want to pull my burner out and make a beige cartridge for this game.  Could someone please post the instructions for the replication?  Thanks!

@ti99iuc great job on the label!

windows you follow these instructions copy /b file1.bin+file1.bin+file1.bin file2.bin 

or try this: https://www.igorware.com/file-joiner  ymmv i haven't tried this.. 

devide 512 by 32 to get the number of copies you need.. the resulting file should be 512k. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Omega-TI said:

80 Version.JPG

Astro Fighter
By Data East Co.
Astro Fighter opening screenAstro Fighter in-game shot

This game appears to be strongly inspired by the classic arcade game Galaxian, with fantastic graphics and frenetic play. Your mission is to destroy wave after wave of tenacious kamikaze alien fighters with the goal of reaching the mothership. Hold on to your joysticks: you are in for quite a ride!
Requirements: Editor/Assembler cartridge, 32K RAM, disk drive. Joysticks optional.
Executable to run: ASTROFGT (E/A option 3) Enter START when asked for program name

Download Astro Fighter:
[TIFILES format]
[V9T9 .DSK Format]

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

windows you follow these instructions copy /b file1.bin+file1.bin+file1.bin file2.bin 

devide 512 by 32 to get the number of copies you need.. the resulting file should be 512k. 

THANKS @arcadeshopper!  That program is pretty slick and it works great!

19452351_ItWorked.jpg.c8382373a630e110b28928cea54ce581.jpg

Now I just have to get this in a beige shell and and slap Ciro's label on it! 

LM-8.BIN

Edited by Omega-TI
Added 512K image for others to burn for the UberGROM
  • Like 2

Hi folks

There was a minor thing found late last night, so i fixed it .... (apologies to all who have downloaded and hosted the game!!!)

when you shoot the bonus UFO your fire doesn't switch off .... this is fixed

when you dock the mothership, UFO fire can wrap the screen .... this is fixed

holding fire down to boost (on way up) is now not as severe.

Zip file contains XB file, and EA5 files.  Again my apologies.  I dont know how i missed these the first time around

lunarmiss2fixed.zip

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Retrospect said:

[...] There was a minor thing found late last night, so i fixed it .... (apologies to all who have downloaded and hosted the game!!!)

Zip file contains XB file, and EA5 files. [...]

No Prob @Retrospect I already created the new cart file and updated on the ti99iuc page too. Thanks for the fixed version ;)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Omega-TI said:

With the updated version, looks like I'm going to have to re-burn.  So, once the new EA/5's get converted to 32K -8 cartridge format, I'll take it the rest of the way and make another 512K UberGROMable image out of it.

Lunar Mission 2_32k8.bin

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Actually, I just found another problem: one the last pick-up of the first wave, I fired a shot which also activated the thrust, but after releasing fire the thrust after-burner fire stayed.

Never mind... I just had apparently not noticed it before, and it is expected.  You know, because I am lifting off into the stars.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Actually, I just found another problem: one the last pick-up of the first wave, I fired a shot which also activated the thrust, but after releasing fire the thrust after-burner fire stayed.

Never mind... I just had apparently not noticed it before, and it is expected.  You know, because I am lifting off into the stars.

Yes, I added that whilst I was bug-fixing ... it was meant to be there all the while but I forgot to put it in before!  

Interestingly, originally the game was meant to have an animated flame for the thrust, borrowed from Parsec and turned the other way around, but memory and speed prohibited it.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Omega-TI said:

80 Version.JPG

Hi Omega.  I love the TRS-80 Meteor MIssion 2, too.  (2 too? lol)

It plays and executes really nicely.  There's only really one thing I have to say I was disappointed with, with the TRS-80 version, and that is the meteors don't turn into UFO's ... it would of been so cool if all the meteors vanished and were replaced with aliens and a bonus "flagship" (the same one that appears in most big five games)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Retrospect said:

Hi Omega.  I love the TRS-80 Meteor MIssion 2, too.  (2 too? lol)

It plays and executes really nicely.  There's only really one thing I have to say I was disappointed with, with the TRS-80 version, and that is the meteors don't turn into UFO's ... it would of been so cool if all the meteors vanished and were replaced with aliens and a bonus "flagship" (the same one that appears in most big five games)

I will tell you this, your version is a hell of a lot harder to play!  I need more practice!  It is kinda neat that on your version all of them turn into UFO's instead of only few.

I re-did the new version and have attached the 512K UberGROM version below for those who want it.  I got a new glue stick and finished the cartridge.

815327083_LunarMission.thumb.JPG.0dd66643b313055cb0bbfe2ebc52f006.JPG

LM8.BIN

• Like 2

On 11/18/2020 at 11:12 AM, Retrospect said:

Yes. I'm a long, long way away from being able to code in Assembly. 

Since you worked through and understand the steps/concepts needed to get your program compiled, I’d have to argue that you are well on your way towards programming in assembly.

It’s not such a giant leap as you may think. You’ve already familiarized yourself with the tools of the trade such as: modern editors, Graphic editors (I’m guessing Magellan), the concept of compiling to object code, loading and executing object code, etc.

This game proves you’re closer than you think. Nice work. The transition from XB256-Compiled to Assembly isn’t too bad.

This thread and it’s many expert participants will guide you:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/162941-assembly-on-the-994a/

On 11/21/2020 at 6:58 PM, arcadeshopper said:

divide 512 by 32 to get the number of copies you need.. the resulting file should be 512k. 

Greg, I really have to thank you for turning me on to this program.  This makes it SUPER FREAKIN EASY to turn a 32K image into a 512K for the UberGROM.

1) Drag and Drop 8 times & convert.

2) Drag and drop the new 256 image two more times and convert... DONE!

The whole process takes less than a minute.  I still verify the 512K images in Classic 99 before burning, but damn, this is much better than the old way.  I highly recommend this program for anyone with a burner like the MiniPRO.  I may have to buy a couple more UberGROM's this coming January.

Couldn't wait, just bought two more from Ksarul... Merry Christmas to myself. 

Edited by Omega-TI
Updated
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1