IGNORED

UniWarS being ported to the 7800

PacManPlus

39 minutes ago, PacManPlus said:

Hi guys...

Sorry - here's RC3 (without the debug displays)

UniWarS.A78 32.13 kB · 5 downloads UniWarS.BIN 32 kB · 2 downloads

I managed to scare up another player, and tested two-player mode. Fun game! I did find a two-player related bug, though. I'll see if I can. describe it well enough for you to track down:

I was player 2, and on my first turn, I cleared the first wave, but I lost a life colliding into the last enemy. Player 1 took their turn, then the screen said "PLAYER TWO" for a couple of seconds, but then immediately switched to player one for their turn again. When it switched back to me, I got my turn, but I skipped a whole wave of enemies going directly to the green bug things instead of the spastic pink things. Let me know if you need any more details or more testing.

I played 2P Simultaneous with nobody playing the 2nd ship so it just sat there (and, of course, I lost a life before the dummy did... figures!)

I was in the 3rd screen (bugs dropping those little alien dudes) and the 2P finally died and when I finished that screen, it said "2P Game Over" which persisted on the 4th screen until I died. 

30 minutes ago, llabnip said:

I played 2P Simultaneous with nobody playing the 2nd ship so it just sat there (and, of course, I lost a life before the dummy did... figures!)

I was in the 3rd screen (bugs dropping those little alien dudes) and the 2P finally died and when I finished that screen, it said "2P Game Over" which persisted on the 4th screen until I died. 

Hmmm...  Can you tell me anything else about this one?  I tried to replicate it three times, and it worked fine each time. :(

In the meantime, I'll work on the other one...

4 minutes ago, PacManPlus said:

Hmmm...  Can you tell me anything else about this one?  I tried to replicate it three times, and it worked fine each time. :(

In the meantime, I'll work on the other one...

The only thing that might be unusual is that 2P died (lost their final ship) with just one alien remaining. Nothing showed on screen until I took out that last green alien and then it said "2P GAME OVER" which persisted on screen 4 (for at least 15+ seconds until I died). 

I am trying to replicate now...

Got it again... even stranger this time. Again on the green bugs screen. 2P is game over... but the ship is still there and the message is still there and the green aliens are still firing bombs and the 1P ship is OFF the screen (was totally off to the right, I moved it back so you can just see it way to the right... where it can't be hit... but I can still fire from there).  When I move my ship back into the main playfield, it can be hit again as usual but the Player 2 GAME OVER message is still persisting. 

image.thumb.png.4c4f8e8e24b7ad64422bb4cd85a47560.png

3 minutes ago, PacManPlus said:

Sorry guys.

I can't get it ready for tonight.  It looks like I'm going to have to rewrite the whole player death / switch player sections.  Anything I do just makes it worse.

James, the game isn't ready for the twitch show tonight.  I'm so sorry... :(

That's okay! The newest version has a lot of updates since we last played it on the show, it'll be a ton of fun. Hope to see you there!

- James

On 1/12/2021 at 4:28 PM, PacManPlus said:

Hi guys...

Sorry - here's RC3 (without the debug displays)

UniWarS.A78Fetching info... UniWarS.BINFetching info...

I just played 10 games of RC3 on actual hardware via DragonFly and have not experienced any issues, however all of my games were single player only. 

• Scored 18,440 on NORMAL (5 lives)
  • Scored 21,960 on EASY (5 lives)
  • Have not tested HARD mode
  • Hope to test two-player later this week

HS.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Guys:

Ok, I've rewritten the player death / switch sections and I think I have it down.  I actually like this one better; I like when the enemies are still on screen and moving during the 'game over' message.

*BTW, I've decided to not include the level counter.  It doesn't do much anyway.  You will notice the levels get slightly more difficult each 'pattern'.  More frequent shots, divebombing, and faster 'pokers'. :evil:

RC4 attached; please let me know of any issues.

UniWarS.A78 UniWarS.BIN

Edited by PacManPlus
Added the 'BTW'
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Been playing a lot and generally very solid - the only thing I've noticed is that sometimes when you die and don't get a High Score (which is very often for me!) it sometimes flashes the High Score table right after the "GAME OVER" message. The flash is very brief... in other cases, it doesn't show the table at all. 

I guess I half-expected the table to always show for enough time to see my glory days!

Running in A7800DS with highscore cart ROM loaded.

• Like 1

Yep - that's a function of the HSC... I can't help that.  It goes into the high score saving mode, realizes that you don't beat any of the scores, and jumps back out.

The high score table is displayed during the attract mode.  It's the third 'page', after the title screen and the scoring screen. ;)

Edited by PacManPlus

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone remove the text from this flyer (except the 'IREM' at the bottom), remove the cocktail cabinet picture, and move the game logo down (to make space for the 'Atari 7800' header)?  I tried, but you can see where I modified it.

I'd like to use this for the cart artwork:

618487553_UniWarsflyer.jpg.96889bc13100a404be4692c3011e9723.jpg

If so, thank you :)

Bob

• Like 2