IGNORED

Atari 7800 CX-30 Evolved Paddle Controllers

Pac-Lander

http://www.atarisales.com/cx30evolved.html

I came across these recently in a contest posted by atari.io, and was wondering if anyone knows if these might be available to purchase? The direct link above shows them as sold out, so was just wondering if there may be an alternative site to purchase one of these bad boys. 

I think it's an incredibly smart use of the original "Pain-Line" joysticks! Want!

CX-30 7800 Paddle Controllers.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Karl G said:

Huh. But does it map to two different paddle buttons?

Edit: Looks like probably not based on them talking about it being either for right-handed or left-handed gamers. But I'm wondering now if anyone has tried to make multi-button paddles?

I may have found a source for the two button variety. That's the real trick, although I was thinking these would be great for games like Centipede.

3 hours ago, Karl G said:

Huh. But does it map to two different paddle buttons?

Edit: Looks like probably not based on them talking about it being either for right-handed or left-handed gamers. But I'm wondering now if anyone has tried to make multi-button paddles?

Is there even a standard pinout for 2-button paddles? There are enough pins left as triggers and potentiometers use a common ground for left and right paddles. 

I have a pair of these in storage a few miles from me. Not sure the button mapping. I'm not a technician nor engineer so you could give me some guidance on any 7800 games to test and maybe that would help answer your question? Give me a few days to try and search for them and/or ping me and I could try a few games. 

when used with the Redemption 5200 7800 Edition those would be PERFECT for Tempest!!! The rotary control plus the fire and Superzapper in that unit, just need to have the driving control pot in place of the paddle one and you've got it AND my order for a pair!!!

• 3 months later...
On 11/21/2020 at 1:55 PM, BIGHMW said:

when used with the Redemption 5200 7800 Edition those would be PERFECT for Tempest!!! The rotary control plus the fire and Superzapper in that unit, just need to have the driving control pot in place of the paddle one and you've got it AND my order for a pair!!!

This would be a challenge to do for the 7800. GroovyBee started a game, but has been dormant since 2014. The versions on other platforms required vectored line drawing modes, 7800 with 4K ram allows tile set modes. Extra RAM on Cartridge may help. Maybe use pre-drawn lines at angles. 

On 11/19/2020 at 3:35 PM, aaron1677 said:

I may have found a source for the two button variety. That's the real trick, although I was thinking these would be great for games like Centipede.

You're not limited to the very bottom of the screen in Centipede though. Wouldn't be able to access the whole lower quarter of the screen with a paddle.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2020 at 10:55 AM, BIGHMW said:

Why would you do that instead of just modding the standard 5200 CX52 into a Paddle controller? At least then the 2nd Fire Button would be supported on the 5200.

Outside of the carbon dots and the non centering joystick issues, the CX52 is far more comfortable to hold than the 7800's PainLine is.

On 2/26/2021 at 6:53 PM, frank_c said:

You're not limited to the very bottom of the screen in Centipede though. Wouldn't be able to access the whole lower quarter of the screen with a paddle.

Exactly. Galaxian and Space Invaders would be a different story.

15 hours ago, Lynxpro said:

Why would you do that instead of just modding the standard 5200 CX52 into a Paddle controller? At least then the 2nd Fire Button would be supported on the 5200.

Outside of the carbon dots and the non centering joystick issues, the CX52 is far more comfortable to hold than the 7800's PainLine is.

I myself kinda like BOTH the CX52 AND the CX24 "PainLine" because pretty much the same ergonomics go into both controllers, it's easier to make the transition from one to the other, although the CX24 is a little more narrow and not as meaty as the CX52 is.

Also, moot point about the carbon dots, especially when all I (and most of us) only use the Best gold-modded CX52, as for the non-centering sticks they are somewhat easy to manage once you get used to the way they operate, perhaps maybe someone will make spring-loaded pots available as an optional upgrade so they react the same as the Wico 5200 stick does/did. With retro-gaming at an all-time high right about now I'd bet there will be someone who will design some spring-loaded pots and offer this much-needed upgrade (for a price of course)

I just wish the A8-to-5200 conversion of Asteroids would've been a little cleaned up when it comes to controller stability, there are other Asteroids-like games available (Meteorites, Rasteroids, Star Island, Megaoids, Delta Space Arena, etc.) for the 5200 that have much better response than that original 1982 A8-to-5200 conversion was, even though I enjoy playing it mainly for both nostalgic and authenticity reasons, all Asteroids needs is more controller "dead-zone" in the "neutral" (center) position like the rest of its similar ports on Big Sexy and she'll be great and then I can (once again) prefer my 5200 to the XEGS.

Asteroids.bin Asteroids.xex

Edited by BIGHMW
To add both A8 and 5200 ports of Asteroids for potential controller cleanup
  • Like 1