IGNORED

I'm a little afraid to burn games

Thunderbird98

Not every game needs to be english either. House of the dead is 100 bucks in the American version, 20 or 30 in japaneae version or cheaper and the game is in english anyway. Zombie revenge is over a 100 dollars. I paid 30 bucks for a mint japanese copy that plays exactly the same. I just require a gameshark to boot japanese games. 

I have been getting a bunch of super nicely made repros from a guy who does great work (both in terms of the discs and the packaging).  I hope it doesn't ruin my DC (launch console, never failed me up to this point!).  Eventually I'd love to get a TO or GDEMU with DCHDMI (something like what Metal Jesus got custom made), but I'm not any good at self modding so it would cost me a pretty penny.

• 4 weeks later...

While I do not burn games anymore (my DC is modded with a USB GDROM and an internal 500GB hard drive now) when I did I never had any issue. There was always talk that the GDROM would die if you used backups. I call BS on that.

I had three Dreamcasts (all launch units) and used backups for years and years. This one I own included. The GDROM drive was perfectly fine when I removed it too.

If you use quality media you will be fine. If you use quality game images (images that are dummied to fill the entire disc you will be fine. The burning speed matters too sometimes. The Echelon rip of "Skies of Arcadia" would glitch if not burned at 4X or lower speed. That may be hard to do nowadays however unless you have an old computer with a burner that supports those slow burning speeds.

And Discjuggler was and still is the defacto standard to burn .CDI images. Alcohol 120% can burn them as well...and just as well. Or, if you want to use Nero you can use the command line tool "cdi2nrg" (google it) and then they will be perfectly converted to Nero images to burn using that software. I used to convert them so that I can burn them in Linux (using Nero Linux).

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2021 at 10:28 PM, eightbit said:

While I do not burn games anymore (my DC is modded with a USB GDROM and an internal 500GB hard drive now) when I did I never had any issue. There was always talk that the GDROM would die if you used backups. I call BS on that.

I had three Dreamcasts (all launch units) and used backups for years and years. This one I own included. The GDROM drive was perfectly fine when I removed it too.

If you use quality media you will be fine. If you use quality game images (images that are dummied to fill the entire disc you will be fine. The burning speed matters too sometimes. The Echelon rip of "Skies of Arcadia" would glitch if not burned at 4X or lower speed. That may be hard to do nowadays however unless you have an old computer with a burner that supports those slow burning speeds.

And Discjuggler was and still is the defacto standard to burn .CDI images. Alcohol 120% can burn them as well...and just as well. Or, if you want to use Nero you can use the command line tool "cdi2nrg" (google it) and then they will be perfectly converted to Nero images to burn using that software. I used to convert them so that I can burn them in Linux (using Nero Linux).

Same here.

46828833635_4f4829e496_h.jpg

Never had an issue with the drive - it still works like new.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...