IGNORED

Is 1050 RF shield/cage replacement necessary?

VW

I just installed a Happy in my 1050 and when I put the RF cage back on, it feels like the Happy chip is up against the edge of the cage and touching it. Is that a problem? Does the RF shield even matter anymore in this age of digital TVs?

I am in playing with the guts of my 1050's too much so the shield is a bother. you'll be fine with it removed.. I might put them back if I resold the drives. It might actually help to secure your happy upgrade and reduce likelihood of it inadvertently coming out of the socket if jostled.

• Thanks 1

The RF shields in most computers etc of that era were just there because of the screening rules which were over the top, makers just put plenty of it on the the machine wasn't rejected for sale. I doubt very much if any of them were actually needed. I removed them from my machine for mods etc and never had an issue ever.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

try to utilize shielding of some kind or as much of it as possible, it really does help all around. My 1050's without shielding required zip ties to hold chips and boards in. where as the shield being on usually helps hold the mods in place.

Radio interference and crt interference patterns often happen without the shield on, not to mention mass loss when using certain peripherals like the original run of cart based external MYIDE etc.

If you interfere with someones DX, I'll guarantee you'll be acquainted with a nice letter followed by a fine. The FCC doesn't do much, but they sure like money.

A local TurkeyHill thought it would be a good idea to put up a large sign to be seen for miles from the highway... they got so far until a council meeting where a HAM stood up and ended their dreams... even the big boys lose when they go up against the FCC or radio operators- professional, business, or amateur.

Depends on where you are and how good people are at tracking you down, also depends on what equipment you are using. Proper shielding and good shielded wires improve video on most any machine with any display. Heck some mods interfere with their host Atari as well... think sofia?  properly placed and shielded with a good cable excellent... not done that way equals weirdness. Do a search and see some of what I've noted right here on good ole AA