IGNORED

WTB: Vic-20 & C64

kevates

Vic-20 - Looking for working bare console that works with a C64 power supply (round power supply connector) for a reasonable price.

C64 - looking for a working bare console - original breadbin model for a reasonable price.

Let me know if you can help me out.

- Kevin

Any reason why you are looking for a VIC with a round DIN power connector? The two prong connector model power supply is not susceptible to the damage that is caused by the faulty power supply on the round DIN power models....so you do not need any "power saver" type of device to protect it. I have confirmed this with Ray Carlsen. In that respect it appears the two prong connector model is somewhat superior. Other than the power type, it works the same. Mine is a two prong model (non-CR model) and it works like a dream.

That is correct, but also all those old C64 power supplies of yours are ticking bombs unless they're serviced or happen to be more recently designed (past 20 years or so). On the other hand, a bare two-prong VIC-20 minus the power supply can be tricky to get powered. You might not need all 3A but at least 9VAC 2A plus the C1/C2 connector for a NTSC one. Also they run hotter inside so except for the possible 5V overvoltage issue with the DIN style ones, I'd say the later VIC-20CR may be just as good or better than the earlier two-prong ones.

There are a few resellers like those Ray Carlsen sells for $35 and upwards. I believe you can find more choices e.g. on eBay. Over here some people have designed a PCB that goes into the original PSU and replaces the 5V rectifying part with modern and safer components, but it would require a serviceable power supply plus that it voids electrical safety if you do it yourself.

The issue is that even if you measure the pins and find that it outputs 5V fine right now, you can't take for granted it will for foreseeable future. In principle I believe physical damage is what causes the internal voltage regulator in the PSU to come loose and stop working (sending the rectified 9VAC directly into the computer), but it might decay due to age as well. That is what is a bit scary, in particular if you're getting a bunch of computers without power supplies because you think you have spare ones that may work today but could fry the computers next month.

Personally I've regularly used at least half a dozen of older PSUs without getting bitten yet, but I'm fully aware of the risks I'm taking. At the very least, I should get a saver device, which is a small piece of hardware that sits between the power supply and the computer, and immediately reacts if the 5V line suddenly spikes up to 9-12V. Unfortunately the built-in fuse in the computer is not enough because it reacts to the 9VAC line, not at all on the 5VDC line.

I personally would only go to Ray Carlsen for any power supply replacement. Not that other recommendations are bad mind you but I have had no experience with those. But, I have had years of experience with Ray helping me with repairs and providing excellent power supplies. He can make you one PSU that will handle a C64 and a Vic at the same time....and even powered at the same time if that is what you want. I can only recommend Ray as I know his quality and his excellent support of his products.

If you do not want to buy a power supply at minimum you need to pick up cable savers for those bricks you have.

You can find all of your options on his page here:

https://www.carlsenelectronics.net/

And as others may have indicated, DO NOT use those old C64 bricks on their own. You have been warned!

Edited by eightbit

You can use a DC power supply with a 2 prong VIC-20. I use a 9VDC 2A power supply. It used to be my 5200 power supply but since I don't really use my 5200 and my VIC-20 one is dead so I use that instead. Since I don't want to cut the connector off since it's still my 5200 power supply so I stick the barrel connector into one of the pins and use a bent paper clip to short between the negative and the other pin of the VIC. I really need to come up with a better solution though. If I tap that paper clip slightly after typing in a moderately long BASIC program it's gone.

1 hour ago, bluejay said:

You can use a DC power supply with a 2 prong VIC-20. I use a 9VDC 2A power supply. It used to be my 5200 power supply but since I don't really use my 5200 and my VIC-20 one is dead so I use that instead. Since I don't want to cut the connector off since it's still my 5200 power supply so I stick the barrel connector into one of the pins and use a bent paper clip to short between the negative and the other pin of the VIC. I really need to come up with a better solution though. If I tap that paper clip slightly after typing in a moderately long BASIC program it's gone.

That power rig job is just a bad bad idea. I would not recommend that at all. The two prong VIC-20 power supply is not really rare:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-AC-POWER-SUPPLY-COMMODORE-VIC-20-COMPUTER-TESTED-WORKING-TWO-PRONG/133561654539?hash=item1f18e51d0b:g:NK0AAOSw~hNfnGZZ

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Original-AC-POWER-SUPPLY-for-the-Commodore-VIC-20-Computer-WORKS/293858304660?epid=1400366122&hash=item446b51e294:g:t0UAAOSw-ktfwAh~

I’ve gotten a lot of power supply advice...  this is what I’m looking for - can anyone help me out?

Vic-20 - Looking for working bare console that works with a C64 power supply (round power supply connector) for a reasonable price.

C64 - looking for a working bare console - original breadbin model for a reasonable price.

Edited by kevates

• 1 month later...

bump... still looking... 

Vic-20 - Looking for working bare console that works with a C64 power supply (round power supply connector) for a reasonable price. (can be cosmetically ugly as long as all the keys are there and working)

• 2 weeks later...