Jump to content
sparkdrummer

Using TAPETODISK with a nanoPEB

Recommended Posts

I'm working on a project with one of my nanoPEB's.

I am attempting to use a wonderful program called TAPETODISK.

What it does is take a cassette tape that is full of programs and transfer them one at a time to DSK1. You set it and forget it until it finishes.

It works great on real iron.

The problem is when using with a nanoPEB it will read the tape ok but when it goes to save to disk the screen just locks. No save to disk.

I'm wondering if any of our programming giants might take a look at it and see what gives?

And maybe fix it for nanoPEB use?

If so, it would be great if a drive selection of 1 to 3 could be implemented as well.

TAPETODISK

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing gets called out by the Classic99 DSR, but the NanoPeb DSR gets stuck in a loop. I'm not sure what it's trying to do - the code it's in doesn't line up with the TI controller DSR and we don't have source for it.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sparkdrummer said:

The problem is when using with a nanoPEB it will read the tape ok but when it goes to save to disk the screen just locks. No save to disk.

 

Seeing this line:

191 CALL LOAD(-31888,63,255)

which stores >3FFF in >8370 (highest available VRAM address), tells me the program explicitly manipulates the presumed TI/CorComp/?? Disk Controller DSR’s disk buffer area of high VRAM, which presumption is off by 8 bytes for the nanoPEB DSR. I think you would need to rewrite the ALC that gets loaded with this program to be either a bit more generic or specific to the nanoPEB. It might be possible to get it to work by changing the references to >3FFF (line 191) and >3FE8 (line 210), but the loaded machine code would also need to be patched, which, of course, is not so easy.

 

...lee

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for looking Lee. I was hoping for the best, but it looks like nanoPEB’s funky code strikes again. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, sparkdrummer said:

Thanks for looking Lee. I was hoping for the best, but it looks like nanoPEB’s funky code strikes again. 

That explains a lot...

 

The NanoPEB is funky, yeah, but this is the same crap that has been an issue since the early days - all software assumes it's talking to a TI Disk Controller and instead of using the TI-provided interface, they reach in and directly manipulate things. Then, surprise, it fails on different hardware. ;)

 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tursi said:

That explains a lot...

 

The NanoPEB is funky, yeah, but this is the same crap that has been an issue since the early days - all software assumes it's talking to a TI Disk Controller and instead of using the TI-provided interface, they reach in and directly manipulate things. Then, surprise, it fails on different hardware. ;)

 

Uhf Supplies GIF - Uhf Supplies Surprise GIFs

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...