IGNORED

Commando on Intellivision

José Pereira

Both the 7800 and Atari XEGS 8-bit versions have similar "tween" graphic animations too. The ones for the 7800 (IIRC) are similar in coloring to the C64 version pictured above. The A8 version is also similar to the C64 and 7800, except that the skin coloring makes your character look African-American, which is fine, but in-game your character still looks "white."

Speaking of the Intellivision Commando in particular, when I first read this thread topic it brought back memories of the day, back in 1987. So let this old man tell you a tale, a tale of my teenage years, a video game fan and fan of my Atari 2600 and 8-bit computer who had money burning a hole in his pocket. I went shopping for an Atari 7800 at Toys -R- Us. I'd seen the flyers and the graphics looked good, and compatibility with my 2600 was a plus. Commando was one of the titles I bought with my 7800, also Ikari Warriors and Tower-Toppler to round off my first games that I experienced on the 7800, including the pack-in Pole Position 2. Anyway, while looking through all the current consoles for sale, just giving myself one last chance to buy a system other than a 7800 I had my heart set on, I realized my eyes had just glimpsed something I had never seen before, and I did a double-take, and there among the NES, Sega Master System, Atari XEGS (I already owned a 130XE, so I wasn't interested in the XEGS) 2600jr and 7800, was an Intellivision III unit, in a new, smaller even than the Intellivision model II, white case that was very pleasing to the eye. EDIT: apparently this old fogy had it wrong and it was actually an Intellivision II I just described, as the model III that I just went to look at on wikipedia is larger and looks close to the model I in design. However, it was indeed the System III that caught my eye that day at Toys -R- Us, as when I saw the photo, my memory cleared up a bit, and not the Intellivison II I described.

The Intellivision III looked pretty damn cool, and I was surprised to see it, as I thought Intellivision systems quit being produced with the video game crash of '83/84. I had no idea at the time that INTV Corporation was created in order to save the system, I thought Atari stood alone, from the old guard pre-crash companies, still selling game consoles (technically Atari and INTV were new companies, but still selling compatible systems). thought it was a next-generation Intellivision, and not just the old Intellivision in a new re-designed case (which is exactly what it was as I learned years later) and just above the system was a poster for the Intellivision III advertising the inclusion of Commando! And the graphics for the Intellivision Commando on the ad screen shots looked better than anything I ever saw on the original INTV, to make me think the INTV III was a next-gen system like the 7800, NES and Master system. If it weren't for also wanting Ikari Warriors and Pole Position II on the 7800, and the 7800 Commando back-of-box screen shots looking even better than the INTV  Commando, I would have considered getting the INTV III. Of course I would have been hugely disappointed once I found out it was the old INTV in a new skin. (NOT that the system is bad, it's good, just that I wanted a next-gen console, not it and not a 2600jr either)

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, STE'86 said:

well thats the "tween" level animation from the first level anyway. commando in the arcade features various between level animations which we added to the c64 version

Sorry, never gone further as 2nd level on C64 (or even saw it in someone's else gameplay).

Edited by miker