IGNORED

FujiNet Flasher won’t run on Catalina

Hi, all. I am using FujiNet with an Atari 800XL I just bought for the purpose, and am dazzled. However, I can’t get the Flasher to run on MacOS Catalina. Gives me a very generic message saying it can’t run. I’m logged in as an administrator and also tried running it as root—and installed the UART driver—but no luck. Any tips?

Thanks!

—Harry

3 hours ago, Technologizer said:

Hi, all. I am using FujiNet with an Atari 800XL I just bought for the purpose, and am dazzled. However, I can’t get the Flasher to run on MacOS Catalina. Gives me a very generic message saying it can’t run. I’m logged in as an administrator and also tried running it as root—and installed the UART driver—but no luck. Any tips?

Thanks!

—Harry

Can you try running it from terminal as root and see if it gives any more error information? What version of Catalina are you on?

I don't have access to a Mac for testing and the build is automatically compiled by github.

Hi Folks

This appears to be because the actual binary inside the .app directory doesn't have execute permissions set. If I double click it as downloaded I get this (Ignore the '2' on the end of the name, it's because I have two copies downloaded):

156343210_Screenshot2020-11-22at16_09_04.thumb.png.44950ecdac96567d48f902adefa4656c.png

Looking inside the .app directory I see in /Users/paul/Downloads/FujiNet-Flasher.app/Contents/MacOS/

paul@scopuli MacOS % ls -l

total 28480

-rw-rw-r--@ 1 paul  staff  14579393 30 Oct 00:22 FujiNet-Flasher

So I ran chmod 775 Fujinet-Flasher

paul@scopuli MacOS % ls -l

total 28480

-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 paul  staff  14579393 30 Oct 00:22 FujiNet-Flasher

Now when I double click I get:

1145689333_Screenshot2020-11-22at16_14_32.thumb.png.3ebe483ab88380803a31bc144fba40ac.png

Which is the usual macOS unverified developer warning. This can be overcome by going to System Prefs->Security&Privacy, and clicking 'Open Anyway'. You only need to do this the first time the program is run.

Maybe there's an option in the GitHub build process to specify the permissions mask for the binary?

Hope that helps

Edited by spookt

43 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Hello Paul

Have you tried right-click -> Open?

Sincerely

Mathy

Hi Mathy

Didn’t try that, but fixed it on my machine as above. Changing the permissions on the binary inside the app folder fixed it for me and I can now just click to launch. 

Edit - just downloaded a fresh copy and tried right-click->open as suggested but still get the error reported by the OP, so looks like it’s a permissions issue in the build. Easy to fix from the terminal as in my post above and once fixed it obviously just works as expected. 

Edited by spookt

Hello Paul

1 hour ago, spookt said:

Edit - just downloaded a fresh copy and tried right-click->open as suggested but still get the error reported by the OP...

But did you see that the pop-up window gives you an extra option?  "move to bin" "cancel" "OPEN"

Sincerely

Mathy

Hi Mathy

I think that’s the options you get for an unverified app right? The permissions problem hits before that. Without fixing the permissions on the binary you just get “The Application Fujinet-Flasher Can’t be Opened”, not the security warning. It’s a different issue. 

Looks like @mozzwald has sorted the issue on the version available for download now anyway. 

34 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Hello Paul

But did you see that the pop-up window gives you an extra option?  "move to bin" "cancel" "OPEN"

Sincerely

Mathy

Sometimes, I have found I needed to run the executable twice before the Open option appeared. I still use the right-click option rather than messing with System Preferences every time. 

Bob C