IGNORED

MINE-MINE-MINE!! Look what I got off eBay ;)

ColleenLover

4 minutes ago, MrFish said:

I'm guessing they cost you a total of $358.85 + shipping.

Oh, plus taxes too (forgot Ebay does that).

2 minutes ago, ColleenLover said:

Um....Yep  ;)

Was I bidding against you?

No, I was just curious and looked it up real quick.

So, are they going into a vault?

Hmmm,

buying rare A8 items at ebay for a high cost to never use them is always risky (they might be defect, empty, etc.). Maybe the seller already knew the buyer (collector) would never use these items and therefore sold almost empty shrink-wrapped boxes ? If you do not want to open them, you will never know for sure (and the rattling may come from some disk-sized cardboards inside the boxes)...  ;->

• Haha 1

That has always been my thought as well, shrink wrapping by an individual is now more easy. I have a Stationfall here, its complete but the main disk is borked, if I was that sort of person I could get it sealed knowing most won't open it.  But I'm not that sort of guy.

Me, I'd open it to see if it was complete..

I suppose it depends if this was an 'investment' purchase or a personal want. If its an investment then it would make no sense to open it if that bit of clingfilm is going to make the value drop, if its a want I'd be in that box like madman, especially after paying a lot for them (well I consider it a lot). Don't take all this chatter the wrong way ColleenLover, we are dead happy for you getting something you clearly are happy about, its just there's a section of people who love getting their hands on the old stuff to bring back those heady days and there's those who see it all as an investment. I struggle with the investment type thinking, its going to stay in a safe and probably get forgotten about. Maybe only found after the buyer has passed and then who knows what will happen to it.

I've said this before: shrinkwrap ages. Something shrinkwrapped in the late 80's is typically not going to look like something shrinkwrapped 2 weeks ago.

Case in point:

bottom.thumb.jpg.fc6f7df6725af14f5645a8a71985cd39.jpg

1355432431_side2.thumb.jpg.e79e4ff0e83001c38514cb24ed92cd0d.jpg

top.thumb.jpg.d625d520f59960ad7e27a054eba254a8.jpg

This kind of aging is a bit extreme; so, it's not going to be the norm; but rather to make the point.

In the photos he's posted, it's a bit hard to tell if there's anything that can be said to look aged; but maybe something can be seen on close visual inspection of the real articles.

As far as opening them up goes, I open everything, unless I plan on selling it; but, I've also never paid $350 for two pieces of software, which would heavily influence my decision of whether to open them or not. I'd certainly be closely examining those two boxes and shrinkwrap, once I got them in my hands, after making such a purchase.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrFish said:

This kind of aging is a bit extreme; so, it's not going to be the norm; but rather to make the point.

I'm sure this can be faked. Look at at counterfeit paintings that even experts could not tell apart. They got wood from the same period to make the frame, or strip an old painting of all its paint (with stuff that was available in the particular time you are aiming for), make it look older by adding some coffee or tea or dirt mixture. Use the same paints of that period. Add grease to the surface, heat them in an oven to make the paint crack, et cetera....

I have several 30+ year old useless shrink wrapped games. I could easily remove the shrink wrapping and reuse it for a fake old wrapping on a rare game. Add some dust or mold in the mix, shrink a little too hard, et cetera... I'm sure a lot of people have already been ripped off by this. Not by me though, as I don't have a shrinkwrapping machine ;)  Nah, won't do that anyway!

Edited by ivop

1 hour ago, ivop said:

I'm sure this can be faked. Look at at counterfeit paintings that even experts could not tell apart. They got wood from the same period to make the frame, or strip an old painting of all its paint (with stuff that was available in the particular time you are aiming for), make it look older by adding some coffee or tea or dirt mixture. Use the same paints of that period. Add grease to the surface, heat them in an oven to make the paint crack, et cetera....

The question then comes as to whether something that meticulously faked is any less valuable than the original; and if the guy is never going to open the boxes up, does it matter what's inside?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MrFish said:

The question then comes as to whether something that meticulously faked is any less valuable than the original; and if the guy is never going to open the boxes up, does it matter what's inside?

That made me think of this film:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certified_Copy_(film)

British writer James Miller (Shimell) is in Tuscany to give a talk to a group about his new book, titled Certified Copy, which argues that, in art, issues of authenticity are irrelevant because every reproduction is itself an original, and even the original is a copy of another form

Edited by ivop