IGNORED

Interest Check: Brand New Colocovision Cartridge Shells & Design Suggestions

Starwander

I had someone contact me about making new ColocoVision Cartridge Shells. The plan was to base the design off the original Donkey Kong shells. I wanted to make a thread and see what interest existed and what recommendations existed before any mold was made. I have not decided to move forward yet and wanted to get some feedback before I did. 

Some thoughts I had: 

1) Would you choose the Donkey Kong shell to be the prototype?

2) Would you change the screw direction so they are on the back instead of the front so the shell can be taken apart without damaging the label? 

3) Other thoughts and suggestions 

• Like 1

I've been hunting around to place an order for ~10 authentic-looking new cartridge shells for a while now.  I have (vaguely defined) aspirations of making a game someday and am interested in completing the project by making something "real" looking that my kids could play on the original hardware.

I was surprised something like this wasn't already readily available after seeing the hundreds of varieties of cartridge shell available for something like the NES.  To not have a single option for Colecovision seemed strange.  My plan so far was to cast my own shell halves in urethane using a silicone mold from some donor cartridge with the label removed.  I got as far as a $1.40 eBay purchase for a sacrificial Super Action Baseball but no farther.  I would be much happier buying an off-the-shelf solution to the problem instead!

1. Yes, the shell I'm interested in is the standard/official version that the majority of Colecovision games used.
  2. Original screw direction, all the way.  Reverse might be convenient while wrapping up prototyping, but so is plugging in a bare PCB.
  3. Obviously these are more niche, so if it's a matter of minimum quantity to make it worth the effort, I'm happy to do my part and buy 2-3x more than I need (or pay 2-3x more than is sensible) if it means they'll actually become available! :D
  • Like 2

Yes it sounds very interesting. 

the donkey kong is the most produced cartridge and the same mold used for majority of games. So at least similar to that one. 

Screws on he back. Hmmm that might be useful. Destroying labels is annoying. Especially if you burn a game rom then find out later that you needed to fix and re burn it.

Id probably design it to only use flat labels so no 90 degree wrap around label from the front to the top. Also the wrap around label over laps the 2 halves as is and might get damage anyways.

Edited by digress
  • Like 1