IGNORED

Has anyone tried this “new” gamepad

Blues76

No.  Looks OK though.

Though the curious part would be the feel and durability of the buttons and stick - likely they use the carbon pads that just mush against the 2 adjacent contacts to close the switch.  So generally no microswitch or bubble type switch to wear out but often need something else to provide springiness and feel.

9 hours ago, Rybags said:

No.  Looks OK though.

Though the curious part would be the feel and durability of the buttons and stick - likely they use the carbon pads that just mush against the 2 adjacent contacts to close the switch.  So generally no microswitch or bubble type switch to wear out but often need something else to provide springiness and feel.

I’m looking for a gamepad because my kid (5 years old) seems to do better with gamepad that the atari joystick 

Maybe the Sega one will work.

I'm curious about all those buttons. I see two regular buttons for sure, marked I & II. Then there's the pastel colored buttons; one on the left and the four on the right. I can't tell if those are real buttons or images on the label. Either way, when it comes to the 2600 and the 8-bit computers, I thought they could only have a single button, so all those others would be a waste, right? Do I remember that incorrectly? Could we have multiple buttons on an Atari joystick/controller on the 2600 or the 8-bits?

When I look at the seller's other items, I see all different kinds of controllers, all made from the same basic controller, but with different system labels. I'm pretty sure that controller only has two buttons, but I still thought we could only have one on the 2600/8-bit/XEGS. I think the 7800 allows two or possibly more.

5 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

I'm curious about all those buttons. I see two regular buttons for sure, marked I & II. Then there's the pastel colored buttons; one on the left and the four on the right. I can't tell if those are real buttons or images on the label. Either way, when it comes to the 2600 and the 8-bit computers, I thought they could only have a single button, so all those others would be a waste, right? Do I remember that incorrectly? Could we have multiple buttons on an Atari joystick/controller on the 2600 or the 8-bits?

When I look at the seller's other items, I see all different kinds of controllers, all made from the same basic controller, but with different system labels. I'm pretty sure that controller only has two buttons, but I still thought we could only have one on the 2600/8-bit/XEGS. I think the 7800 allows two or possibly more.

I think is compatible with atari 8 bit computers, 2600, and 7800 (I’m not sure if all 7800 games, but then I don’t know much about the 7800). 

Atari 8bit computers can use more than one button (see a thread about it) but most (all?) games used only one button. 

If you read the thread, it may even be possible (if I’m right) to use three buttons. Now, For this controller I posted, assuming that it works, all I care is one button and the pad. 

46 minutes ago, Blues76 said:

I think is compatible with atari 8 bit computers, 2600, and 7800 (I’m not sure if all 7800 games, but then I don’t know much about the 7800). 

Atari 8bit computers can use more than one button (see a thread about it) but most (all?) games used only one button. 

If you read the thread, it may even be possible (if I’m right) to use three buttons. Now, For this controller I posted, assuming that it works, all I care is one button and the pad. 

You're probably right. My memory is probably just jaded by remembering nothing but single-button controllers back in the day and no memories of games using more than a single-button control scheme. Anything that did use more than one button, typically used the keyboard in addition to the controller.

2 hours ago, Blues76 said:

I’m looking for a gamepad because my kid (5 years old) seems to do better with gamepad that the atari joystick 

After play way too much on emulation, with a gamepad, I'm also better at games with a gamepad than with the Atari joystick. Luckily I have SNES2JOY for playing on real hardware ;)

Edited by ivop

54 minutes ago, ivop said:

After play way too much on emulation, with a gamepad, I'm also better at games with a gamepad than with the Atari joystick. Luckily I have SNES2JOY for playing on real hardware ;)

Is anyone selling your design?

Which gamepad are you using? The SNES Gamepad :)

Edited by Blues76
correction

12 minutes ago, Blues76 said:

No, not as far as I know.

But the design is open for everybody to build and/or sell and not even send me a thank you :)

https://github.com/ivop/snes2joy

Everything is there. Gerbers, 3D files for the enclosure, schematic, firmware, source code, step by step build instructions, etc...

I'm just not up to building tens of them. That's boring ;) Even doing a DIY kit with parts and PCB only is a lot of work. Maybe I could do a PCB only run, but everybody can order ten pieces of this PCB for $10 in China and sell the other nine on AtariAge :)

Which gamepad are you using?

At first I used an original SNES controller. I have two of them, but one already broke, so to save the last original one, I no longer use it. Currently I use a Chinese clone. Takes some time to get the "stiffness" out of it, but it's not too bad.

Edited by ivop
  • Like 1

I found this thread (since I'm sure this is a question that gets asked a lot)

@ivop Thanks... Maybe I can convinced my wife to do it... Otherwise, I have a friend already. I guess I could do it but I know very little about electronics but given what you said, maybe this is something I could do.

5 hours ago, Blues76 said:

Maybe the Sega one will work.

I don't know anything about two-button controllers, but for your common one-button joystick games, Sega pads work just fine.

4 hours ago, bfollowell said:

The pastel stuff is just on the label. I assume these are repurposed NES joypads, probably NES compatible joypads. If they're wired for the 7800 like the ProLine Joysticks or CX-78 joypads, 8-bits will take either button as "fire" being pressed. Individual buttons should be readable via the paddle input functions as they map to pin 5 and 9 on both VCS and 8-bits. I don't think there is a way to read the the two middle buttons and I doubt they're even connected for the Atari version. The NES apparently uses a serial protocol to read its controller, so there is no direct button-to-pin connection.

8-bits can read a second button of Sega Controllers, too, and someone has posted on AA regarding reading the Start and third button but did not report success so far. To use both Sega buttons on a 7800 a modification or interface is required, the most famous probably being the Edladdin Seagull. The Sega stick switches between reading buttons B/C and buttons Start/A by selecting pin 8 low or high. The "standard" on the Atari is low so buttons B/C will work. AFAIK the rather recently released Scramble uses this to allow separate bomb/missile firing. 

13 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

there is a small mod required to use the paddle controller on 8bit machines.

Interesting, i bought that controller but returned it because the paddle did not work with my 800XL. Do you have a link to the required mod?

Edited by Dinadan67

1 hour ago, Dinadan67 said:

Interesting, i bought that controller but returned it because the paddle did not work with my 800XL. Do you have a link to the required mod?

Atari paddles come as a set of two but this controller only has one. 

Paddles are not labelled paddle 1 and paddle 2 they are labelled Left and Right. By convention it seems Atari VCS programmers used Left as the primary paddle and Atari 400/800 programmers used Right as the primary paddle. So it's not that the paddle didn't work, it's that you were controlling player two's paddle. 

The small mod is to swap around two wires on the PCB, labelled L-VR and R-VR. You could install a switch if you want to go high end ;) 

On 11/22/2020 at 11:44 AM, Blues76 said:

@Mq. has something similar available (S)NESctrl https://atarionline.pl/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=5671

It's about $25 plus shipping from Poland. You can use with wired controllers or with wireless adapter and use many modern Bluetooth gamepads.

• Thanks 1

On 11/23/2020 at 12:48 PM, ZuluGula said:

@Mq. has something similar available (S)NESctrl https://atarionline.pl/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=5671

It's about $25 plus shipping from Poland. You can use with wired controllers or with wireless adapter and use many modern Bluetooth gamepads.

Thank you!