IGNORED

Is post-Covid 19 isoproplyhol safe for cartridges?

tripletopper

Before covered I always saw 91% isopropylhol, the gold standard for cleaning cartridges, because the only other ingredient is water and isopropyl washes more stingey dirt off better.

The stuff you should avoid is called rubbing alcohol because that is 70% isopropyl, and 20 of the remaining 30% are medical herbs and topical painkillers, and other stuff that has to be listed as ingredients.

When I saw my isopropyl is low, the only stuff I could find was labeled 70% isopropylhol.  Do I understand alcohol being get higher demand due to increased hand sanitization, so to make it go farther they make they put less isopropyl in a bottle of isopropyl.

But the question is is this just a weaker version of a 90% isopropyl with the remaining 20% being made up by water or is it rubbing alcohol under another name 

the pharmacist couldn't tell me whether there was any foreign ingredients or not other than isopropyl and water.  he assumed that if there was no ingredient listed other than isopropyl then what and water then there is none.

I asked this question a different website and they were saying that never use the 70% stuff.  I understand it's true normally but the question is is the 70% stuff of today a diluted version of the 90% stuff?

They someone at that other site said they don't have to tell you what's in there other than isopropylhol, but I thought truth is labeling laws required an ingredients list of everything you either eat drink apply on your skin or otherwise consume to yourself physical self.

I don't know whether they're going off the old assumption of 70% containing other herbs and other ingredients, but I have been perceived as kind of a unwitting villain in this other website for promoting my right hand stick as a way to improve a lot of games, so baby they're just playing villain back.

I don't know of any law that says you're allowed to hide the other ingredients in rubbing alcohol.  Therefore if the only ingredients say isopropylhol and water then there should be nothing else but those two things in there.

I don't have a pre-Covid bottle of the "rubbing alcohol" that has other ingredients besides alcohol and water.

So is this just a Covid phenomenon of making the alcohol last longer by diluting CD / cartridge cleaner/cartridge cleaner?

And if the bottles only ingredients say alcohol and water and I use on a CD and it turns out to be the rubbing alcohol kind with things that hurt CDs then that would be a bad mislabeling problem and I could sue them for the damage of the discs.  Claiming they violate truth in labeling laws, saying there are no other ingredients but adding extra ingredients.

Common Sense tells me that either the 70% is just a diluted version of 90% or I found a loophole in the labeling system of isopropyl that has to be addressed and clarified.

• Sad 1

I've only ever used electronics grade alcohol for cleaning up old flux etc when working on stuff. I actually purchase and use 99.9% pure grade alcohol from the local electronics store where I live. They have inconvenient hours but when I'm able to get over there they usually have something I'm needing. One thing they always seem to have is the liter and 1 gallon jugs of the alcohol and while more expensive than the stuff you get at the pharmacy, it isn't bad and it works great for electronics and also in a pinch to clean up a wound or two while working on stuff at the same time.

13 hours ago, tripletopper said:

And if the bottles only ingredients say alcohol and water and I use on a CD and it turns out to be the rubbing alcohol kind with things that hurt CDs then that would be a bad mislabeling problem and I could sue them for the damage of the discs.  Claiming they violate truth in labeling laws, saying there are no other ingredients but adding extra ingredients.

Would you hire a lawyer or represent yourself in this scenario?

• Haha 5

I would rather have the answer in advance rather than test the legal system.  But I'm afraid of using "brand x" that I would like to test it on a cheap bad game that's a 12 cm frisbee.

Does abybaneteur chemists knows what happens with disc with herbal alcohol mixes?  I never ruined a disc in such a way, so I don't know what happens.  

Sacrifice a test disc to get a result. 

25 minutes ago, tripletopper said:

I would rather have the answer in advance rather than test the legal system.  But I'm afraid of using "brand x" that I would like to test it on a cheap bad game that's a 12 cm frisbee.

Have you considered just cleaning the disc with soap and water? Alcohol seems a bit abrasive.

15 hours ago, 4300 said:

Check your local cvs. Every cvs I've been to has been fully stocked with 91%.

Ever since Covid-19, every grocery store, department store, and pharmacy I went to don't have 91%.

I'm trying to find out if the 70% is a diluted version of the 91%, or an alternate name for rubbing alcohol with painkilling herbs.  The only inert ingredient is Water.

also is this unique to Medina County Ohio or are other people in a similar situation of running out of 91% isopropyl and being given the 70% stuff.

NEW STUFF (above was in phone memory). 

First of all the strength is not that important, the more important thing is lack of foreign ingredients to the recipe of isopropyl.

Since the bottle has as it's only inert ingredient water,  should that indicate that this is pure alcohol water mix just a little diluted.  also I should look for small print under where it says alcohol to see if there's other ingredients that would be considered active like painkilling herbs.  Look at the fine print.  If I see something indicating something other than alcohol then I should bail.

Is this unique to Medina County, Ohio that has 70% isopropyl not 91%? Is this like a county Covid law or something because apparently I can't find 91 stuff locally.

I got a couple of unplayably scratched copies that I tried to repair and failed I could use is a litmus test as to whether it's just pure alcohol or alcohol plus herbs.   Will the foreign ingredients eat at the disc or do something obviously noticeable?

does it cost three bucks to repair them versus finding them use three bucks on eBay might as well use it as a petri dish.

Edited by tripletopper
Was restored edit. Want to add something since then.

On 11/21/2020 at 9:40 PM, tripletopper said:

I am reminded of a somewhat famous cause taught in first-year torts class (in Canada).

The recently installed roof on a building leaked. The owner sued the general contractor, who then sued the sub-contractor, who sued the supplier of the roofing product, who ultimately sued the manufacturer. The bulk of the court decision was concerned with apportioning liability (i.e. was the product faulty, was it improperly installed, etc.). 

When I've looked into it, this was pre-stupidity making a run on it, the 70% is diluted, literally filtered watered down alcohol.  Which is why I was told and learned never to use it because 30% of that cleaner is you exposing electronics that hate water, to well...water.  It doesn't dry as fast and a bit will stick around until it evaporates long after the 70% alcohol vanishes which can lead to various problems.  I've got a few bottles of 91% and I have and will continue to stick to using it as it's safe, nothing better but that electrical contact cleaner.

91% has been a problem as I do look when I hit the stores, and it has been short at kroger and walgreens when I've taken a peek or I'd buy more.  But whatever you're on, or on about, I've never heard of putting magic herbs inside of alcohol to fill out some/all of that other 30% in 70% isopropyl alcohol, that's new on me.

4 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

I venture into the world becuase, in general, I don't need a gallon of the stuff & the small bottles are notably cheaper from drugstores (provided you can find a good dilution.)

That said, I 'refilled' most recently by just buying one up card's new Atari system cleaner & a fresh bottle of their fluid. It's a tiny amount for the price, but it'll easily last the next year or so for me... plenty of time for things to (hopefully) normal out.

Also consider too, that unless the electrical/electronic items that you're "cleaning" with alcohol (of any dilution/strength) are placed into an air-tight or vacuum-sealed container with a moisture absorbing desiccant immediately after you "clean" them, they will be constantly exposed to dangerous water, due to humidity in the atmosphere.  Especially more-so, if stored in an unconditioned space like an attic, outdoor garage or shed...or in a damp basement.  

• Like 1

@tripletopper to answer your question (at least what I think is your question), 70% isopropyl alcohol is 70% isopropyl alcohol and 30% water. 91% isopropyl alcohol is 91% isopropyl alcohol and 9% water. 91% is preferred for cleaning cartridge contacts, as the less water the better. It's possible you may see an isopropyl product with additional ingredients, but it would say it right on the bottle in that case. There's no conspiracy out there. Happy cartridge cleaning!

• Like 2

Never heard of the herbs bit before. I always understood the reasoning for using 91% was because there was less water in it. Discs shouldn't care, but carts and other electronics don't like water. Honestly, unless your soaking (like submerging) electronics, it shouldn't matter, and imo, alcohol could be worse for plastics as it could leach the oils that plastic is made of, out of it, making it more brittle. (For cart shells and discs)

The other stuff called "rubbing alcohol" also has pain killing herbs.

If you run across that, that will DAMAGE electronic equipment.

There was a conspiracy on  the "dragon punch" website saying that "rubbing alcohol" and "70% isopropylhol" both have the herbs and by law don't have to list the herbs as ingredients.

If I need to clean something with it, I'll say to irreparable <$3 disc or cartridge game on eBay, "you first".  Do not do Red Sea Crossing (if I had such a cartridge, which I don't)

• Confused 1

I have an ample supply of 99% Isoprop (well nearly 32oz) so I hope I don't have to shop for any an extravagant prices for a while. One thing I will say is that if you have no Isoprop and need to clean contacts as an alternative you can use Ronsonol (or other brands maybe...I just trust that brand..but I would imagine Zippo would be fine as well) lighter fluid. It cleans well and is not damaging to plastics. It will clean off any sticker residue of course if you were not aware (on just about anything), but I have used it to clean contacts as well and it works very very well.

Now just don't cause a run/shortage of this stuff please! And, mostly importantly, do not light a match until all is dry!

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

While it would require some specialized hardware, what about simply re-distilling the 70% IPA?

This would concentrate the strength (albeit with a corresponding reduction in total volume) and, presumably, eliminate any other trace chemicals or additives as a side-benefit.  

A former co-worker told a story of how his "roommate" who would re-distil cheap wine to extract and concentrate the alcohol. ?

It's not the strength so much.  I just spray and wipe. 

It's not so much an issue of strength as it is purity.

It's the ingredients other than the alcohol and water that have me concerned.

"70% rubbing alcohol" was, pre-Covid, the name for the kind  which has extra herbs.

The dragon punch website conspiracy is that "the herbs are unlabeled, because they are not required to be labeled."

I think they think I'm gullable.  I asked my pharmacist "If herbs are added to a rubbing alcohol, must they be listed on the ingredients list?  My discs are allergic to herbs in certain rubbing alcohols that are not in isopropylhol.". And he said everything should be listed.  So the 70% isopropylhol is a new sevondary Covid phenomenon.